Birthday Cheat day

Options
I have only been going a few weeks and lost 6 pounds but my weight day to day seems pretty erratic. I was contemplating a birthday cheat day with cake, steak and pancakes (my favs). How much damage can one blow out day do to my progress, do you think?

Replies

• missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have only been going a few weeks and lost 6 pounds but my weight day to day seems pretty erratic. I was contemplating a birthday cheat day with cake, steak and pancakes (my favs). How much damage can one blow out day do to my progress, do you think?
    You'll be fine. Just don't turn that day into a week!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    well it depends on how much you eat. assuming youre not going to eat more that 6000 calories the worst you can do is wipe out a couple weeks deficit.

i would consider a birthday a good excuse to take the day off of calorie counting, just try not to go to crazy
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. You won't undo all your work and you can even minimize how much you go over for the week by eating lighter a few days before, just make it fit into your plan. You might have some bloat afterwards that makes the scale go up but that'll come back down in a few days. No reason to stress. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about this kind of stuff as "cheating". You should be developing a sustainable way of eating that is going to take you far beyond the weight loss aspect of this much bigger process. You didn't get to this point because of an occasion...you didn't get to this point because of a birthday or a holiday or even a random weekend BBQ. You are at this point because you treated every day like an occasion.

It's not cheating...it's a special occasion. Your birthday is one day of many days...how could that possibly be relevant to the whole?

If someone generally ate like **** all of the time, but on "occasion" decided that they'd eat all the chicken and broccoli and brown rice and then go for a run, what impact would that have on their overall healthy as a whole? Answer...none...it would be completely irrelevant given that most of the time they live an unhealthy lifestyle.
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Have fun. Log it. Move on.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    A lot. This is a lifestyle that you want to maintain for life. Cheat days just invite you back to the old you.
  • _chiaroscuro
    Options
    A lot. This is a lifestyle that you want to maintain for life. Cheat days just invite you back to the old you.
    Not necessarily. A lot of people learn to plan for special occasions and holidays and work them into a healthy, happy life.
  • AislingHunter
    AislingHunter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about this kind of stuff as "cheating". You should be developing a sustainable way of eating that is going to take you far beyond the weight loss aspect of this much bigger process. You didn't get to this point because of an occasion...you didn't get to this point because of a birthday or a holiday or even a random weekend BBQ. You are at this point because you treated every day like an occasion.

It's not cheating...it's a special occasion. Your birthday is one day of many days...how could that possibly be relevant to the whole?

If someone generally ate like **** all of the time, but on "occasion" decided that they'd eat all the chicken and broccoli and brown rice and then go for a run, what impact would that have on their overall healthy as a whole? Answer...none...it would be completely irrelevant given that most of the time they live an unhealthy lifestyle.

I completely agree with this. It's not feasible to never eat this kind of food again, it'll just make the lifestyle you're trying to create unsustainable. The point is not indulging on too regular a basis. I would be miserable if I had to calorie count on my birthday!
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The change I am going for is not really so drastic that I think of it as old and new me. More like a "lets detour from where I seem to be going with this middle age weight gain". I think I will take the general advice of logging it and having two of my favorite meals without totally going nuts.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have a birthday coming up too in a couple of weeks and I'm taking three days off work since it falls on a Saturday, so I'll have a 3 day weekend. I'm not going to go off on all three days but one of those days WILL be a "treat" day for me.
  • _chiaroscuro
    Options
    The change I am going for is not really so drastic that I think of it as old and new me. More like a "lets detour from where I seem to be going with this middle age weight gain". I think I will take the general advice of logging it and having two of my favorite meals without totally going nuts.

Solid plan. Happy early birthday!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Just have some cake, steak , and pancake if you want them and don't think of them as anything other than eating what you like... I had waffles for breakfast, a steak for lunch, and there is pizza and ice cream planned for supper and there is no special occasion here..... Just make it fit into your day..... Best of Luck...
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    jesus h, it's your birthday. live a little.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday, no rules are to be followed go have fun!

Except the law, you can follow the law :P
  • Dvansanten
    Options
    Its fine, ive. Lost 42lb in ten weeks and i treat myself every saturday, whilst all the other days i mantain a healthy diet.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You would have to eat 3500 extra calories to gain a pound. All the salt may add weight too
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I say holidays this includes birthdays are just that special and you should enjoy them, so yes have your favorite meal and cake... I was able to stay in calorie zone even on mine because I cut out some other area's. So go easy the day before and after and you should be just fine.
  • kw67
    kw67 Posts: 30
    Options
    Mine is Saturday and I plan on indulging some (nothing overboard)..
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options

This spoke to me. Thank you.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It is a happy day when you get to munch on all your favorites, but just remember portion control. No matter what you eat, remember the proper portions and don't binge. Gluttony doth not make a happier birthday. :)