FitBit Calories

Options
Hey Everyone,

So I've been using my FitBit everyday and have synced it to my MFP account. It adjusts my calories accordingly i.e. if I walk more and burn more calories. Does anyone know how accurate the FitBit calories are? I feel like it's burning more than I feel like it's burning and might be giving me inaccurate data that syncs to MFP that adds more calories.

i.e. Yesterday I walked 11k steps and burned 2.9k calories for the day. My BMR on MFP is around 2.5k and so it adjusts my calorie intake by adding an extra 400cal.

Also according to FitBit, I burn 80cals an hour meaning my BMR on FitBit is about 1.9k

Replies

• Ldonahue921
    Ldonahue921 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great question! I just purchased a FitBit ONE. Wearing it for the first time today (on bra). I am also wearing the pedometer I usually wear (on waistband) for comparison. Both have my height/weight/age recorded.

Right now, pedometer shows 3058 steps = 177 calories burned but the FB1 shows 3155 steps with 938 calories burned.

Is it calculating only my activity or is it including my resting calories? Does MFP 'adjust' for the difference?

Help!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have been using both systems for a while.

I find that Fitbit sort of underestimates the burn while MFP overestimates but not by too much.
    The Fitbit is set up to give you calories burned based on ALL of your daily activity including breathing, exercise, steps, cardio, etc...
    Just make sure you set up your profile accurately.

When I log into MFP I almost always round up my calories and round down my burn... just to be on the safe side.

I tested once by getting on my elliptical which is set up specifically for me (age/weight/height) I also used my Nano with Nike step tracker, my Fitbit and MFP to look up the burn. The number from my machine, from the Nano, Fitbit and MFP were really close... I'd say within about 5 or 10 calories.

Hope this helps
  • super_pj
    super_pj Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great question! I just purchased a FitBit ONE. Wearing it for the first time today (on bra). I am also wearing the pedometer I usually wear (on waistband) for comparison. Both have my height/weight/age recorded.

Right now, pedometer shows 3058 steps = 177 calories burned but the FB1 shows 3155 steps with 938 calories burned.

Is it calculating only my activity or is it including my resting calories? Does MFP 'adjust' for the difference?

Help!

Hi, your FitBit1 shows 938 cal burned because the FitBit takes into consideration of your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which would mean it does include your resting calories. So for example by the time I've burned 2.9k at the end of the day, my BMR on MFP is around 2.5k so I receive an extra 400 calories from it.
  • super_pj
    Options
    I have been using both systems for a while.

I find that Fitbit sort of underestimates the burn while MFP overestimates but not by too much.
    The Fitbit is set up to give you calories burned based on ALL of your daily activity including breathing, exercise, steps, cardio, etc...
    Just make sure you set up your profile accurately.

When I log into MFP I almost always round up my calories and round down my burn... just to be on the safe side.

I tested once by getting on my elliptical which is set up specifically for me (age/weight/height) I also used my Nano with Nike step tracker, my Fitbit and MFP to look up the burn. The number from my machine, from the Nano, Fitbit and MFP were really close... I'd say within about 5 or 10 calories.

Hope this helps

Hi Cushman5279,

That does help. Glad to know you've had multiple devices to check whether or not they were accurate within a few percent of each other. So I guess the calorie difference is that my FB and MFP report are fairly accurate. Good to know, thank you!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    gosh, i REALLY need to find my fitbit charger (i have 3 kids....it could be ANYWHERE!)!!! i'd love to use it and synch with MFP. i don't log things like taking the stairs, getting up and moving around, cleaning the house, etc....just curious about the extra i burn that i don't log....maybe i'm not eating enough because of that and that's why the weight isn't going down?
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been using fitbit for close to 10 months now, and I actually credit it with much of my success. It has seriously motivated me to move more and become more active. When I first started out I really over thought the whole process and whether or not it was truly accurate. What I've found has already been mentioned, Fitbit underestimates just a bit, while MFP over estimates. I find things seem to work themselves out tho if you just trust the data. Make sure your goals in FB and MPF are set the same, as in weight loss per week. If MFP is set to have you at a 1 pound loss per week, make sure FB is set the same. Also, if you notice one or the other seems inaccurate for your activity type, make adjustments. What I find odd is that FB seem to over estimate my burn for running, so I use my HRM and manually enter my run in MFP. As far as walking, I trust FB. Just take some time, don't over think things, let the two systems do their thing, and I'm sure you will be successful!
  • super_pj
    Options
    gosh, i REALLY need to find my fitbit charger (i have 3 kids....it could be ANYWHERE!)!!! i'd love to use it and synch with MFP. i don't log things like taking the stairs, getting up and moving around, cleaning the house, etc....just curious about the extra i burn that i don't log....maybe i'm not eating enough because of that and that's why the weight isn't going down?

It could always be that you're under estimating the calories you are eating because as long as you are in a deficit in calories, you should be losing weight.
  • super_pj
    Options
    I've been using fitbit for close to 10 months now, and I actually credit it with much of my success. It has seriously motivated me to move more and become more active. When I first started out I really over thought the whole process and whether or not it was truly accurate. What I've found has already been mentioned, Fitbit underestimates just a bit, while MFP over estimates. I find things seem to work themselves out tho if you just trust the data. Make sure your goals in FB and MPF are set the same, as in weight loss per week. If MFP is set to have you at a 1 pound loss per week, make sure FB is set the same. Also, if you notice one or the other seems inaccurate for your activity type, make adjustments. What I find odd is that FB seem to over estimate my burn for running, so I use my HRM and manually enter my run in MFP. As far as walking, I trust FB. Just take some time, don't over think things, let the two systems do their thing, and I'm sure you will be successful!

Yeah, having a FitBit definitely motivates me to move versus when I didn't have it. I'm glad to hear that both products (MFP and FB) are fairly accurate in terms of calories! That's good to hear. I will make sure that both have the same goal :) Thank you!
  • ptbarcus
    ptbarcus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the fitbit thing as I finally got it yesterday. Do I need to add in my exercise on MFP from today (golf carrying clubs for 2 hours) or do I just use what the fitbit says???
  • super_pj
    Options
    I'm new to the fitbit thing as I finally got it yesterday. Do I need to add in my exercise on MFP from today (golf carrying clubs for 2 hours) or do I just use what the fitbit says???

I usually don't add exercises since I'm not exactly sure how many calories are being burned from such activies; I wouldn't want to over estimate. I let FitBit decide how many calories I burn extra :)