Help with eating past 7pm

Options
Everyone says when your on a diet not to eat past 7 or 8 pm right? I eat dinner at like 5-6:30 in between those times. After I eat dinner im completely full, but find myself eating cause im bored or just wanting to snack right before i go to bed. Any of ya'll have any ideas to help me stop this?

Replies

• CorennaLumb
    Options
    When your sitting there relaxing find something to do with your hands. Its also a great time to maybe get your water in. I have the same problem but I just drink the water and if for some reason I am still truely hungry then I cut up a apple and eat that and it takes place of eating the chips or something really unhealthy.
  • seasha86
    seasha86 Posts: 38
    Options
    Alright thanks!
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    Whats wrong with eating past 7pm? Do you have calories left?
  • leanandmeanmachine
    Options
    I usually don't go to bed until 11:00pm - I eat dinner anytime around 6:30 - 7:00pm. So usually around 10:00-10:30 I want a snack, so I will usually have 1-2 pieces of the sugar free mint patties, they are rich and they curve my sweet tooth. I eat one or two and go to bed.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I always do, never noticed any different, I eat dinner around 6 and cant go all night without some popcorn or a light snack
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    If you still have calories, it doesn't really matter when you eat them, but if your meal plan didn't account for an after dinner snack, maybe you could adjust you daily intake, so you can have a little something. I don't think the timing is a big issue, but mindless snacking in front of the tv might be!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    My friend who was a Div I player, then coach, then professional athlete said that their people told them that if you want to gain to eat within 1 hour of going to bed and if you want to lose to not eat within 2 hours of going to bed. I try to follow that because I have to eat a snack after dinner since I usually eat about 6pm, then go to bed around 11pm. It's not good to go that long without eating. Good luck!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    If you really don't WANT to eat past 7 (or so), make sure you have had all your calories and water...then close out your diary. Then, go in and brush your teeth and gargle:happy: NOBODY wants to do THAT more than they have to!! I dunno, just my thoughts. I made a 'challenge' to myself to not eat past 7:30. I just don't feel that great in the morning if I eat closer to bedtime.

Good luck :drinker:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I didn't worry about snacking at night as long as I have calories until the last 10 labs. The only way to get rid of them was to stop eating past 7. I go read a book or do a craft as far from the kitchen as possible, brush my teeth or sometimes just chew gum and drink water.

Good Luck.
  • stringcheeze
    stringcheeze Posts: 286
    Options
    Have you tried chewing gum instead (especially if you've already had your calorie allotment for the day)? I find it helps me to quit snacking at night.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Nighttime eating is generally about seeking comfort. Something hot should help - I have a Good Earth Decaf Original in Sweet & Spicy. Full flavor - like drinking liquid gingersnaps. There are other teas out there if you don't like this flavor. Good luck!
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    Nighttime eating is generally about seeking comfort. Something hot should help - I have a Good Earth Decaf Original in Sweet & Spicy. Full flavor - like drinking liquid gingersnaps. There are other teas out there if you don't like this flavor. Good luck!

I love drinking tea at night! I make it with milk though beause I am usually short on calories and need to get more in! But mmmm it really helps any cravings that I might have.
  • funkylemur
    funkylemur Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to work until 10pm and to be honest, it didnt make any difference to my weight. Tho I dont think its a good idea to eat late and then go to bed as you'll prob feel very full all night !

Seriously tho, eat popcorn ( a small amount) or if I'm really peckish I have a slice of toast !
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My friend who was a Div I player, then coach, then professional athlete said that their people told them that if you want to gain to eat within 1 hour of going to bed and if you want to lose to not eat within 2 hours of going to bed. I try to follow that because I have to eat a snack after dinner since I usually eat about 6pm, then go to bed around 11pm. It's not good to go that long without eating. Good luck!

I eat right up to bedtime if I am hungry, look where it got me :)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Lindt 80% cocoa chocolate a couple of squares- so very rich you really don't want anymore than that!:heart:
    Cold veggies with salsa or hummus
    Piece of fruit and a few unsalted nuts
    I'm not to worried about eating after 7 since I don't get off work until 715 pm! It hasn't made a difference in my weight loss:wink:
  • SemiSweetRae
    Options
    I've worked with several nutritionists over the years and have also been in a setting to work with a few. They never believed in the not eating after 7. I have been told that while it is generally an ok rule to follow, it was set for people who graze all day long and don't know how to cut themselves off. It's more of a mental thing so they have to tell themselves "I'm not allowed to eat right now". I have actually found that a small amount of protien right before bed has helped me lose weight. By small I mean I will eat maybe a third to a half of a small chicken breast literally as I am walking upstairs and going to bed. I sleep really well (and I have been an insomniac the better part of my life) and I feel incredibly energetic in the morning.
  • seasha86
    Options
    Whats wrong with eating past 7pm? Do you have calories left?

This is just what I have heard not to eat past 7 or 8. If I exercise during the day I have a pretty good amount of cals left over.
  • seasha86
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your information and ideas. From all of your responses it looks like there is nothing wrong with it! Now I dont have to worry about it anymore! Thanks again!
  • calaiasa
    Options
    I personally don't eat after 7pm. Here's an article I read online that helped me to see the benefits of eating 3 hours before bedtime.

Stop Eating 3 Hours Before Bedtime

You've probably seen the suggestion of not eating anything after 7 p.m. Well this generally assumes you go to bed around 9 or 10 at night.
    If you are a night owl, you may retire a little later so it may seem unrealistic to not eat anything after 7 if you don't go to bed until 12 a.m.
    Generally, the rule of the thumb is to not eat anything within 3 hours of your bedtime. So if you do usually go to sleep at 1 a.m. this would mean no food intake after 10 p.m.
    The reason you don't want to eat late at night is because your food may not properly digest. This can cause morning gas and stomach cramps.
    Some people who complain about bloating never realize that it's from the gas and food particles left over from improper digestion. This can be avoided if you cut down the late night snacking.
    Eating late at night also forces your body to use its energy on digestion,. One of the primary functions of sleep is to help you recuperate from the day. You want your body to be as relaxed as possible so you can wake up energized.
    Now we all know we have to cheat at some points. It's just not realistic to believe you can refrain from eating late at night every single night. So if you must cheat, then eat something healthy like a piece of fruit or a very small handful of nuts.

I hope this helps! It sure helped me : )
  • calaiasa
    Options
    Sorry, I meant NOTeating 3 hours before bedtime. Lol!