Do you pay attention to your macros?

Options
Hey yall! Just curious in what the majority of people do.. do you pay attention to calories only or do you also pay attention to being within your macros?

Replies

• starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I do try to keep an eye on my protein levels, making sure I'm getting enough most of the time but really...I just count calories.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I mostly make sure that I hit my protein, and don't worry so much about fat or carbs. If I notice I'm grossly under my fat for the day, I'll make an effort to fix that by bed time, but I'm not super strict about it.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Macros.

But I'm an IIFYMer
  • megaen29
    megaen29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I very roughly pay attention to my macros. I tend to lean towards higher fat intake than I should but I always stay within my allotted calories. It has worked well so far with me losing over 30lbs since February. I've dropped 10% body fat and gained a considerable amount of muscle, so what I'm doing works for me.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I only really worry about fiber, protein and overall calories. Managing fiber and protein makes staying in my calories easier.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've adjusted my calories to accommodate my macros. they're very important to me. :) but when I started this adventure, I only paid attention to calories.
  • missbirrell
    missbirrell Posts: 133
    Options
    For health reasons, I currently keep an eye on fibre, because I don't eat enough and sodium because I need to eat a good amount of that and I don't.

For weight loss, I keep an eye on protein mostly - protein will fill me up and is best for exercise. Sometimes I keep an eye on fat because I'd like to follow a high fat, high protein, low carb diet but that isn't always practical.

I've been using MFP since October and only in the last 2 months or so have I started paying attention to macros.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to my protein because I have a hard time hitting my goal there. I don't pay as much attention to my fat & carbs because they'll end up where I want them if my protein and calories are both in the right range.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Mostly calories.

I do watch my protein and fiber. Also try not to go to wild with the carbs but I do tend to be higher in the carb department.

When I say watch, thats exactly what I mean, I look at it. I make a mental note of what I could do better in and then try and do better the next day but I don't sweat it if I'm off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. When I was calorie counting and logging I set my macros to a fairly balanced ratio of 40c/30p/30f. I did this in order to balance out my diet which was rather carbohydrate laden and fat laden. I basically made efforts to be somewhere around that ratio give or take...some people overly obsess about being bang on their macros, and there's really not a whole lot of value in that.

IMHO, protein is the one you want to be anal about.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I try to hit my protein goal, but I don't mind if I don't reach my carbs and fat goals. I like to get my fibre too.
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I look at the cute little pie chart, I don't really try to hit them, but I'm always close without trying lol.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I try (some days harder than others) to hit 30% protein. The rest is kind of evenly split between carbs and fat, but I'm more likely to go over fat. I eat kind of a lot of fat. lol
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I only really look once every few days, and I'm mostly focused on getting enough protein, Vit A, Vit C, calcium, and iron. If not, I make an effort to add more nutritious foods into my diet. I figure that if I get enough of the good stuff, and stay within my calorie goal, that's what really matters.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to my protein macro first and foremost. I would then pay attention to my fat macro but since I've never had an issue, I find myself not worrying about it. I glance at it to make sure it's not too low and that's about it. As long as I hit 100g of protein or more, I consider myself golden as far as macros are concerned.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes. I make sure to hit protein, then fat, and I don't really worry about carbs. I tend to be under my goal on those. But I do find the macro/micro breakdowns on the site very helpful. I tend to plan out portions of my day ahead of time, then fill in the gaps based on the breakdowns. It's also nice to be able to compare my intake to how I feel throughout the day. I tend to feel hungrier on days that I'm higher on carbs, which is why I try to focus on getting my protein and fat numbers in. I've been looking at fiber quite a bit because I notice I have days where I am pretty low, so working on getting those numbers up without having to resort to a fiber one bar.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to my protein, and I should pay more attention to fat and fiber, but most times I'm just happy to hit my protein count. I have a hard time with that.

Aside from that, I just count calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I try to add more sources of protein, but no. I do not make a particularly conscious effort to hit macros daily