High fat diet and digestive issues

Options
Lately I've been having digestive problems. Specifically (sorry to be graphic) loose stools. I wouldn't exactly say diarrhea because it isn't that horrible stomach ache RUN to the bathroom type thing that you get with food poisoning, but it definitely isn't your standard healthy poop!

I'm trying to see what might be causing this, and so far all I've noticed is 1) increased stress (I do have moderate generalized anxiety that has been not an issue for a while but gotten worse in the past few months due to life stressors) and 2) eating over 40% of my macros in fat.

I know both of these things have an effect, but the fat is a bit easier to nip in the bud! Does anyone else have this issue with high fat? Most of it is coming from cheese with some avocado, eggs, and olive oil as well. It concerns me diet-wise bc increased fat is one of the easiest ways to keep me full and happy without having too many carbs, which I've noticed impede weight loss when I'm much over 35%.

Thanks and sorry for the grossness!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're low on iron rich foods, which tends to firm things up.

ETA: Took a quick look at your food diary this past week and didn't see any red meat (beef, pork, bison, etc.). Didn't see much iron rich veggies either (you need a crap ton of these to make up for not eating red meat if you don't eat it). Your body will absorb iron from meat better than veggies. You need to have citrus in order to absorb from veggies.

You might also try upping your fiber? higher fiber can actually firm things up (like a few grams more than the recommended daily value which is 25 - 35)

ETA 2: About the iron thing - my doctor told me I was low on iron and said I need to eat very iron rich foods at least two times a week. By this she means beef or liver. If you happen to be going to a doctor sometime soon, you could ask them to check your blood for iron to confirm if this might be the case for you. It's a very simple blood test which is nice.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, Paleo?

Get some more fiber. Eat less fat. Eat more carbs. Eating low carb causes faster weight loss because your body retains less water, it's not permanent.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, Paleo?

Get some more fiber. Eat less fat. Eat more carbs. Eating low carb causes faster weight loss because your body retains less water, it's not permanent.

Neh, not Paleo, I love love love carbs but feel a bit better if they stick around 35% (that's not even considered that low, is it?) And the fat is just because I like it! But I'm am going to try substituting more protein for carbs. I think it also may be the switch from eating very high carb to less- maybe that is shocking my system a little.

Thanks!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    Maybe you're low on iron rich foods, which tends to firm things up.

ETA: Took a quick look at your food diary this past week and didn't see any red meat (beef, pork, bison, etc.). Didn't see much iron rich veggies either (you need a crap ton of these to make up for not eating red meat if you don't eat it). Your body will absorb iron from meat better than veggies. You need to have citrus in order to absorb from veggies.

You might also try upping your fiber? higher fiber can actually firm things up (like a few grams more than the recommended daily value which is 25 - 35)

ETA 2: About the iron thing - my doctor told me I was low on iron and said I need to eat very iron rich foods at least two times a week. By this she means beef or liver. If you happen to be going to a doctor sometime soon, you could ask them to check your blood for iron to confirm if this might be the case for you. It's a very simple blood test which is nice.

This is a very good point. I've been low on iron in the past but not quite crossed into anemic (so said a bloodtest.) But I just glanced at the nutrition from tues weds thurs...iron was 9%dv %33dv and then 4%dv....I do eat red meat but not very often because its not something I usually will cook for myself. But I agree I should make up for that somehow. I'm going to start taking my iron supplement again while I work in improving the diet.

I'm thinking possibly B12 as well because I know it interacts with iron and I don't eat much seafood, which is the best source of it.

Thanks!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Issues digesting high fat diet can point to problems with the gallbladder. Are you having any other symptoms besides stress and loose stools?
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    Issues digesting high fat diet can point to problems with the gallbladder. Are you having any other symptoms besides stress and loose stools?

Nope! Nothing noticeable. Since I haven't had issues before the last few months I think its more likely attributable to lifestyle. Thanks though!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, Paleo?

Neh, not Paleo, I love love love carbs but feel a bit better if they stick around 35% (that's not even considered that low, is it?) And the fat is just because I like it! But I'm am going to try substituting more protein for carbs. I think it also may be the switch from eating very high carb to less- maybe that is shocking my system a little.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what percentage would be considered low, I eat about 50% carb 30% fat 20% protein.

I looked at your full report, you only get about 5-17 grams of fiber a day. I usually hit 25-29 grams, and have normal poops (tmi)

You could increase your fiber by eating more carbs, or buying things specifically with fiber, or just getting some cilium husk into your diet.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, Paleo?

That's only true for the initial 10lbs or so and is what accounts for the "I lost 10lbs the first week of low carb!" Also, low carb isn't about "faster weight loss," it's about being able to lose weight while still feeling satiated (something that a lot of people can't do on the usual 50%+ carb dietary recommendations), and for some people being able to lose weight at all (due to things like high insulin, which can impede reasonable weight loss efforts).

That said, the OP doesn't really eat that much fat, according to the diary, in my opinion, and the carbs aren't really that low. So I doubt it's "too much fat." Also, the carbs she's getting are from vegetables, so she probably has sufficient fiber.

OP, did you recently increase your fat intake? Doing that can cause digestive upset for a short time, especially if you're coming from a low-fat lifestyle. If that's the case, the body just needs some time to adjust.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Add fiber to your diet, like benefiber or metamucil.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    Let me guess, Paleo?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what percentage would be considered low, I eat about 50% carb 30% fat 20% protein.

I looked at your full report, you only get about 5-17 grams of fiber a day. I usually hit 25-29 grams, and have normal poops (tmi)

You could increase your fiber by eating more carbs, or buying things specifically with fiber, or just getting some cilium husk into your diet.

Hm that is pretty low fiber. I think I probably need to get my fiber, iron, protein, and stress levels in a good place. Its crazy what stress can do to eating habits and your gut!!

ETA: Lentils! Lentils are a thing I like with lots of fiber. going to have lentils more often.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, Paleo?

Thanks!

To be fair, I'm not sure all the fiber counts in her entries are correct. There are a couple of "mixed greens" entries that claim 0g of carbs and 0 or 1g of fiber. Unless it's a tiny, tiny amount of food, I doubt there's that little fiber in something like that.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    fiber supplement
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    fiber supplement

Is it true that its better to try and get it from food sources? I'm not anti-supplement, I'm just ****ty (heh puns!) at remembering to take them.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    fiber and iron supplement. Natural, smatchural.

Put them on top of your keys and you won't forget.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This is probably something you ought to speak with your doctor about (assuming you have the right insurance; I'm not very good with US healthcare laws). My friend had a similar problem recently and her doctor said she has IBS and now needs to avoid all dairy products because of the lactose. In terms of symptoms, she didn't exactly say she had the same problems, but rather general "stomach problems".

If you don't want to go to a doctor, why don't you try and avoid all the cheese and milk etc in your diet for a few days and see how you feel.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    In terms of fibre, generally speaking it is better to get your fibre from whole foods yes, but if you struggle, then a supplement may be worthwhile if, as you have said, you can remember to take them.

There are two types of fibre: soluble and insoluble. This is from the UK healthcare website.

Soluble fibre can be digested by your body. It may help reduce the amount of cholesterol in your blood. If you have constipation, gradually increasing sources of soluble fibre – such as fruit and vegetables, oats and golden linseeds – can help soften your stools and make them easier to pass.

Insoluble fibre can't be digested. It passes through your gut without being broken down and helps other foods move through your digestive system more easily. Insoluble fibre keeps your bowels healthy and helps prevent digestive problems. If you have diarrhoea, you should limit the amount of insoluble fibre in your diet.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1141.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=167
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Exact same thing happened to my BFF. It was definitely gallbladder for her. It was the first thing I thought when I read your post. It would not hurt to see the doctor on the matter, truly!
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Supplement with this:

metamucil-smooth-texture-orange-powder-861-g2531133.jpg

See if it makes a difference.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I often have digestive issues if I have too much fat and not enough carbs. Fat is harder for the body to digest than carbs. If possible, bring it down to 30-35% fat and increase your carbs by 5-10% and see if things improve.