Women that Lift: What program are you using?

Options

Replies

• artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started with a dumbbell version of AllPro, but I had a heck of a time with Bulgarian Split Squats, which require more balance than I seemed to possess. Plus there was a lot of stuff to remember (how many sets, a lot of lifts, etc.) and I'm someone who aims for simplicity, so I moved to Stronglifts.

I started AllPro last summer, switched to Stronglifts in the fall, then had to take a break from Feb. - May for health-related reasons. I've just started up again at the beginning of June.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Bump. Going to start something soon.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Week 5 of SL 5x5...and I love it. I am going to switch it up to Strong Curves, though once the 12 weeks is up. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I may try NROLFW at some point, too. As long as i am picking up heavy things I don't really care what program it is!

It's crazy how well lifting is working...Like most, I was drilled cardio, cardio, cardio to lose weight. It took me at least 3 months at any given period of my life to lose 20lbs and a pants size. After a month of lifting I only lost 3lbs, but still lost two pants sizes. I'm a fan.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5. I cannot remember the last time I wasn't sore, but the results are awesome.
  • TMagical
    TMagical Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    *bump*
    So I can come back and read everything when I have time.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    New Rules here, I'm exactly half way through. Im going to do SL 5x5 next.

I wish I hadn't started with New Rules to be honest, the descriptions of the excercises and the workout plans aren't very clear. The exercises themeselves are mostly working out ok and I'm happy with the results so far. I just got a bit confused at first, maybe it's just me.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

I wish I hadn't started with New Rules to be honest, the descriptions of the excercises and the workout plans aren't very clear. The exercises themeselves are mostly working out ok and I'm happy with the results so far. I just got a bit confused at first, maybe it's just me.

I bought the book, flipped through it, but lost interest quickly. The workouts seem a lot more complicated than they should be. 5x5 is so much simpler and, as I hear it, takes less time than NROL4W.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I read New Rules. When I first started, I used most of the movements the program suggests. I had to modify a couple of things, b/c I was having some weird hip issues. I started July 4th weekend of last year.

I did some of the reading on StrongLifts. In the last couple of months, I've started incorporating the compound lifts from that into what I have been doing. I'm not strictly following the program. I am doing a combination of the compound and isolation movements.

Also, I didn't like the way the deadlifts were supposed to be done with StrongLifts. Deadlifts are my favorite thing, and I wanted to do them more. For those, I am doing more of a "strength routine," I dunno...my husband came up with my weight/rep scheme for deadlifts. The weight/rep scheme I have been using for those has made it my most successful lift. I pulled 185lbs (1.46 x bodyweight) for 3 last week...and that's starting from a 45lb bar about 3 months ago.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I bought the book, flipped through it, but lost interest quickly. The workouts seem a lot more complicated than they should be. 5x5 is so much simpler and, as I hear it, takes less time than NROL4W.

I agree with you about it being complicated. It's ok if you've been doing it for a few months and are in to the swing of things, and I like the variety, but as a beginner it was a bit baffling. There are also a *lot* of excecises that require good balance, which I detest, but are good for me as I have lousy balance and co-ordination.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I was doing a modified 5x5 program (started with full body for a month or so, then a split program) until this month and transitioned to 5/3/1 with a targeted hypertrophy accessories program. The accessories program incorporates a good bit of glute work, but also back, chest, core and shoulders.

I like my program, it's working for me, and I'm going to stick with it for a while.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I bought NROL4W and read through it, it was really too much and intimidating. I did however get NROL for life and love that I can pick through out my routine. I'm almost through the first phase (there are 3 phases). I think after the I'm going to do supercharged which starts out similar to life but has 10 phases to it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Started about a year ago (13 months I suppose) with New Rules for Women then transitioned to Stronglifts and now I'm doing Strong Curves.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Bump as I am hoping to start lifting soon...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that the programs are designed to accomplish completely different things. This is where having some fitness goals really come into play.

New Rules is a great general fitness lifting routine that is going to have quite a bit of variety and work various aspects of lifting fitness (I think this is why people think it's so complicated...it's really not at all...it still primarily uses compound movements, just different variations of these movements).

SL 5x5 is a pure strength program. It is designed with one thing in mind...getting stronger...a LOT stronger if you do the program correctly. You aren't going to be working on agility or power or whatever with this program....it's a pure strength program.

My wife started with me doing Starting Strength and then moved on to New Rules and now she's doing Strong Curves...My wife had no particular aspirations of being a power lifter and enjoyed the variety of New Rules almost immediately...she didn't like SS at all and thought it was boring....I enjoyed SS and I truly believe in these strength programs for building a good base.

Beyond that, you run into issues of how much weight do you really need to keep adding..how strong do you really have to be? A lot of people, including myself start out with a strength program in order to build that base but eventually move on to other lifting styles...other people get into competitive power lifting, etc. Really, this is where your goals come into play; not all lifting programs are training the same thing.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Ice cream 5x5
    Still in pretty low weight range compared to some other people, but I am ok with this.
    I do them rather slowly.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I do a program that was written for me by a friend I met in the desert in 2010. It's basically Stronglifts, though.

ETA: I've adapted it to dumbbells instead of barbells though, since that's all I have available to me at this time.

We must have the same friend:wink:

J/K - Seriously though, I follow Stronglifts as well just tweaked a bit for me as a runner and all I have at my work gym are dumbbells.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I am just finishing Nia Shank's 54321 and will start her muscle sculpting program. I finished Strong Curved Advanced Gluteal Goddess before I discovered my idol Nia. I have been lifting for 8 months. I did a bit of NROL4W before SC

I love Nia!!!! I'm currently doing her Beautiful Badass program. I love it!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1 gradually builds up strength. There are different variations.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump