Yoga uggghhh

Options
Okay, so I did a Vinyasa yoga class for the first time in at least a year, and I pretty much suck, since flexibility is an area of fitness of the trifecta that I pretty much ignore. I'm going to force myself to incorporate yoga at least one day a week for flexibility purposes since I know it's important. I tried a site called Yoga vines, and she went through the moves at a decent pace. I like the Vinyasa flow, but I just cannot bring myself to do the yoga that moves at a glacial pace with the Buddhist gong, the ohms, and the ridiculous sayings, like "keep the armpits alive, smile the face, soften the space behind your eyes" and it makes me giggle). I know it's me, and it's juvenile, but I might have ADHD or something or I am a cardio junkie and quieting my mind and body are next to impossible. Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of yoga videos out there that do not take this approach. Check out the original P90X yoga video. I think it's a fine example of yoga for fitness.
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options
    Breathe in through the eyes; and out through the ears.. Yeah it's funny but we want our wives to do yoga! :)
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like the p90x, it's just a little long-ish.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I like the p90x, it's just a little long-ish.

I agree. I usually only do the first 60 minutes.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I did a Vinyasa yoga class for the first time in at least a year, and I pretty much suck, since flexibility is an area of fitness of the trifecta that I pretty much ignore. I'm going to force myself to incorporate yoga at least one day a week for flexibility purposes since I know it's important. I tried a site called Yoga vines, and she went through the moves at a decent pace. I like the Vinyasa flow, but I just cannot bring myself to do the yoga that moves at a glacial pace with the Buddhist gong, the ohms, and the ridiculous sayings, like "keep the armpits alive, smile the face, soften the space behind your eyes" and it makes me giggle). I know it's me, and it's juvenile, but I might have ADHD or something or I am a cardio junkie and quieting my mind and body are next to impossible. Anyone else struggle with this?

yea ive always struggled with letting my energy flow through me and into the ground!!! or out through my hair folicals!!!..i still trying to find the inner peace of not falling on my face let alone with my soul!!! smiles
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I love doing yoga and it has benefited me in several ways. It helps that I am very flexible so poses are not a huge struggle for me. But, even if I were not flexible, I'd still love it and continue to pursue it.

You just have to go at your own pace, honor your limitations and not feel like you have to compete with anybody.

OTOH, if you truly dislike it don't waste another hour of your life on it. Find something you enjoy doing instead.

Namaste!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    So vinyasa is my favorite type of yoga, but when they tell you stuff like "breathe from your kidney" I have a hard time not laughing. So I just stuck with it for about a year until I got the form/flow down and now I do it at home while blaring Rage Against The Machine.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    So vinyasa is my favorite type of yoga, but when they tell you stuff like "breathe from your kidney" I have a hard time not laughing. So I just stuck with it for about a year until I got the form/flow down and now I do it at home while blaring Rage Against The Machine.

Oh great, I now have to get an anatomy book out to make sure I am breathing through the right organ?
    I am going to try Yoga and Pilates to see which one helps my flexibility better but these Yoga threads scare me off :grumble:
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    Haha, I am so glad I'm not alone. I do like the resulting flexibility, so I'm going to break out the ol' P90x and do some yoga with Tony, and maybe FF here and there;)
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ha ha... this makes me laugh. In my experience, none of the classes I've gone to were that weird! Sure, the poses are held for what seems like forever sometimes, but no gongs, no breathing through kidneys or folicles.

Try a different class? I think the YMCA has some decent yoga classes that are less strange... :) I go to a great one through our city's park and rec department that's taught by an independent fitness trainer. She's pretty down to earth.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love the stretch day (Sunday) workout for T25....its very yoga-like but strenuous as well.....for my body it is anyway, after a week in the weight room, its just what the Dr ordered...and its only 25 minutes so you get it done quickly. Feels great.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

ha i am so doing that the next time i do some yoga!!! inner peace in your FACE!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I find gym yoga to be a nice balance. I don't think I could do yoga at an actual yoga studio...
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Haha-I feel I have ADD when I went too. I am totally bored with the quietness and "earth" talk but I will go to improve flexibility and balance.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ha ha - sounds like someone needs to breathe into their kidneys!
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    That sounds more like my kind of yoga Jonny; where can I find it?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Try pilates. :smile:
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I did a restorative yoga class that was like real slow pace and I felt like I needed to be stoned to properly enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of vinyasa, bikram really is my definite favorite
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I can't take myself seriously enough to do Yoga. I hate it. I hate it so much. I realize how beneficial it is to the body, but it feels as though time goes backwards when I'm doing it.

ANYWAYS, I prefer to do Pilates. To me, it moves at a much faster pace and is way more enjoyable. Plus, it less of that ocean, Enya music, and more regular working out music. :)
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    This reminded me off the time I went in search of a flow to help PMS and it was going really well until about 20 min. in when the lady said, "breathe deeeeeply....into your womb....smile...into your cervix..." and I was all,
    :huh: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: