If you give a squirrel a dish of water.....

Options
13»

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    He's gonna want a straw to go with it. And if you give him a straw, he'll want one with stripes which will remind him of your trip to the zoo to see the zebras...

LOL! Love those books!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I always leave saucers of water out for the squirrels on extra hot days. They lie on my porch like they're miserable. =(
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    My work here is done Tega. I have provided gifs and pictures as demanded. (^_^)

Yay!! So happies nao!!!
  • tegalicious
    Options
    if a bunch of wild squirrels are lying around acting like they're ill or dying, maybe see if there's an animal rescue centre that works with wild animals. I don't think a saucer of water would make any difference if they're ill or dying. They're wild animals, they know how to find water.

It is just the littlest one of the few squirrels that come around the area and eat food I leave out. The others seemed fine.

it's probably sick or injured and also probably dying... there's not much you can do, you could see if it'll take water it might make it feel better, but it's probably going to die unless you know or can find a vet that'll treat wild animals.

I will keep an eye on him/her. It scampered away after laying on the patio for about 20 minutes.

that's a good sign... but generally speaking wild animals are very timid and will not lie around where they can easily be seen by predators if they have a choice.

I have been leaving food for them for about 6 months now. They will let me watch them from behind the window. They run off if I open the door.

that's cute :smile: I hope it gets better from whatever was wrong with it...

squirrels are quite intelligent... they can solve problems to get food.

The cutest moment was when I gave them a gallon sized ziploc bag of almonds. They ran around like maniacs, burying the almonds all over the yard and in the planter boxes!!
  • tegalicious
    Options
    It will drown....then you would need to learn squirrel CPR...

Rabies. Never once.

There has never been a recorded squirrel to human rabies transmission. Of course it would suck to go down in medical history as the first!

It would be so like me to be the first case....
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My work here is done Tega. I have provided gifs and pictures as demanded. (^_^)

Yay!! So happies nao!!!

*bow* I live to please.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    daily_gifdump_362_05.gif
    That's insane!
    I wish I saw the rest of it!
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I know you guys and gals are dying for an update lol!!!..... Gave the squirrels a dish of water. They will in fact drink from it. But then more squirrels will come. And then the squirrels will stare at you. And try to steal your soul.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I also haven't seen the little one today. He might have actually been sick :(
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had a squirrel that used to nap on the railing of my deck at my old house. He was just comfy and liked the vantage point the deck railing offered. I had pictures once upon a time.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    merge.gif

Squirrel drinks only if you get moose out first...
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    c2wRFnh.gif

funniest thing I've seen all day ...... thanks !
  • ThriftyTurtle
    Options
    I'm a squirrel wildlife rehabber and yes, squirrels will drink out of shallow dishes of water. Use something heavy bottomed to avoid wobbling. Do you notice the squirrel breathing heavily? You can reach out to a wildlife rehabber in your area if you're concerned.
  • WhizGidget
    WhizGidget Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    He's gonna want a straw to go with it. And if you give him a straw, he'll want one with stripes which will remind him of your trip to the zoo to see the zebras...

When he thinks about the zoo and the zebras he remembers the scary lions.
    When he remembers the scary lions, he is going to need a hug.
    When you reach down to give him a hug, he is spooked by your shadow and runs under the sofa to hide.
    When he hides, he finds a big ball of dust and starts to sneeze...
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options

When he thinks about the zoo and the zebras he remembers the scary lions.
    When he remembers the scary lions, he is going to need a hug.
    When you reach down to give him a hug, he is spooked by your shadow and runs under the sofa to hide.
    When he hides, he finds a big ball of dust and starts to sneeze...

And if he starts to sneeze, he'll want a kleenex to blow his nose.
    When he blows his nose, it will remind him of how thirsty he is.
    When he thinks about how thirsty he is, he will want some water.
    And chances are, if you give a squirrel a dish of water, he'll want a straw to go with it.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    and you would put a tea bag in the water which will probably be hot, he'll burn is poor little squirely mouth and then he need to go to see Mr P Nut the dentist.
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    and you would put a tea bag in the water which will probably be hot, he'll burn is poor little squirely mouth and then he need to go to see Mr P Nut the dentist.

I would never do that to a poor little squirrel. To you maybe....:P
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I'm a squirrel wildlife rehabber and yes, squirrels will drink out of shallow dishes of water. Use something heavy bottomed to avoid wobbling. Do you notice the squirrel breathing heavily? You can reach out to a wildlife rehabber in your area if you're concerned.

It is very hot and humid here. The squirrels tend to lay out on patios and tree limbs and pant heavily. They are usually just hot so I thought maybe if I gave them some water it would help. Today they decided the water would be nice to bathe in!! Wet squirrels all over the patio!! Too cute!!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I remember the squirrels on my college campus would drink out of straws when folks left their drinks on the ground. Most of them would come up to you for food.