Need ideas - low-carb, easy dinners w/out fancy ingredients?

Options
erkerns
erkerns Posts: 27 Member
Hello everyone! I'm looking to reduce my carbs (not eliminate - reduce) and I find that I generally eat a lot of carbs at dinner. My dinners always feature rice or pasta. I need some ideas for low-carb dinners that are easy-ish to prepare and don't require a lot of fancy ingredients - I live in Mexico and I've found that I can't even find things like brown rice, provolone cheese, etc... so if your recipes require something more exotic like quinoa or tzatziki sauce, I won't be able to find the ingredients. I also have a small kitchen, a busy life, and I don't own anything fancy like a food processor. Any ideas?

Replies

• erkerns
    Options

Sheesh obviously I know how to google...

I'm looking for ideas that have worked and continue working for you, the real people... I just did a long google search and came up with stuff like "feta-stuffed turkey meatloaf with tzatziki sauce..." not gonna work.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Easy low carb recipe;
    1) four chicken breast
    2) 12 strips of bacon
    3) onion powder and paprika

Wrap each breast width-wise with three strips of bacon
    place the wrapped breast in a crockpot, sprinkle with onion salt and paprika and set on low for six hours
    Each breast has
    315 calories
    14.5g fat
    47g protein
    0 carbs!

Add some sauteed mushrooms and asparagus and your set
    Keep it simple!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Salmon, salt, pepper, lemon juice. Place all ingredients in a foil packet and seal. Place in a 375 degree oven for about 20 mins. Serve with a a side of roasted asparagus or baby bellas sautéed in coconut (or olive) oil and fresh basil.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Omelette/Frittata is my go to low carb meal. Couple of eggs, bit of chopped veg and chillis, ham/bacon/chorizo. Cook it all up, throw into a couple of beaten eggs and pour back into small pan. Couple of minutes each side and om nom nom. :)
    Takes about 10 minutes start to finish, comes in at around 300 cals with a bit oil for frying the ingredients in.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Check on Pintrest. There are a ton of meals on there that are cheap, easy, and low carb.

I am in the same boat as you as far as a busy life/small kitchen.. and Pintrest has saved my life.

I do chicken salad with light ranch and buffalo sauce and then a cup of soup pretty often. You can make an easy soup or you can use canned soup. If you are able to find "Progresso Light" canned soup.. it is the lowest in calorie and they are actually really good.
  • erkerns
    Options
    Yay, ideas already! Thanks guys! I have to run away from the internet for a while but I'll check back later.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    My low carb lunches are usually some protein (leftovers from the night before) with 200g of frozen veg. I don't miss the carbs if the vegetables contain some starchy varieties, such as beans or peas.

I don't always avoid carbs, but if I am not having them at dinner I will pair a lean protein (grilled prawns, steak or chicken) with vegetables. Again I don't miss the carbs if I have a selection which includes some fibrous or starchy stuff such as roast asparagus, roast carrots and sauteed spinach.

Tonight I had roast chicken and a greek salad with tomatoes, onion, feta, olives and vinaigrette.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps are great too. Same as a taco just instead of the tortilla use lettuce to cup it.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Chop up a bunch of root vegetables, including lots of onion and mushrooms, saute up with some ground beef/meat, add some oregano, thyme or basil if you'd like and sprinkle with some soy sauce or just salt and pepper....yummy, easy and lots of leftovers! Also very good with tofu or tempeh in place of the meat. The smaller you cut the veggies the quicker they'll cook!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    This might be more simplistic than you were looking for, but one of my favorites is grilled meat: Chicken, steak, pork, you name it.
  • ricer8
    ricer8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success with replacing rice with sautéed cabbage, and I love spaghetti squash, but if I can't find that at the store I make noodles out of zucchini. I've also bought a box of carbquick it's a bit like bis quick, but lower carbs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try baked chicken/pork/beef/fish with roasted broccoli and cauliflower (or other similar vegetables) and a fresh salad or sliced cucumbers:

http://farmflavor.com/oven-roasted-broccoli-cauliflower/

6 cups small, bite-size fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets, mixed
    2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, finely minced
    ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper

Learn to make Mole using local ingredients to put on meat.
    Here is a version of a mole but there are many others:

http://www.momswhothink.com/dinner-recipes/easy-mole-sauce-recipe.html

Easy Mole Sauce Recipe
    This mole sauce recipe is an easy version of the Mexican mole sauce; a type of gravy with chiles, chocolate and seasonings. Mole is tasty on smoked beef (as suggested in this recipe) but works equally well on enchiladas or chicken.

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup water
    3 large dried chilies
    2 onions; chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    2 cups tomato sauce
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 1 oz. square unsweetened baking chocolate

Directions:

1. Combine salt, pepper, water, chiles and onions in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes on low.

2. Add garlic, tomato sauce, sugar, cinnamon and chocolate.

3. Stir until heated through and chocolate is melted, then serve on smoked beef. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,314 Member
    Options
    If you can get a favorite fish or say a piece of chicken (boneless) then I suggest a French style parchment paper purse. Here is what you do:

Tear off a large piece of parchment paper, fold in half to crease then open and set aside. Season your protein source and place in center of paper. Cut up a pile of any vegetable and put in a bowl. Season with salt, pepper, some olive oil to toss and any other seasonings that you want. Add veggies on top of protein choice and then bring two opposite corners together and start to roll while bringing in the other two corners to close the whole thing up. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. There will be liquid inside so serve in a shallow bowl and enjoy.

Here is one of my favorite combinations:
    salmon, lemon slices, asparagus, mushrooms, fennel, shallot, salt and pepper.
    Arrange as follows: salmon, lemon slices, veggies, lemon slices, veggies, lemon slices. Fold and bake as described.

This makes for virtually no clean up, fast and nutritious, low carb (based on your veggie choices) and delicious.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    The first 2 years I changed my eating habits I lived on stir-frys for dinner. I like variety and everyday I could make something different and it was easy. I would buy a ton of different vegetables ahead of time and cut them all up and put them in containers. I would buy protien and pre pakage it out (chicken, steak, turkey). Then when it was time for dinner I grabbed the veggies and meat I wanted threw it into the pan and added a little sauce ( I kept like 10 different kinds in my fridge lol) :) and in 1 pan and not a lot of time preparing it I had a healthy dinner :)
  • MetalTes
    MetalTes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Definitely add my vote to the stir fry, lettuce wraps, fritattas and spaghetti squash, all super yummy!

My favorite is meatballs…I love meatballs!! I try to always have some in the freezer, we buy the BIG thing of grass fed beef and I make a whole bunch at a time for freezing. Then just get a roasting pan, throw in some of the frozen meatballs and veggies and roast it all together. It cooks while you do something else! I think our favorite is meatballs, brussels sprouts and carrots. Also really good with sweet potatoes and apples, a few more carbs there, but at least they're good carbs! (I usually eat sweet potatoes on lifting days.) Add whatever herbs you like, or just s&p, and whatever veggies you happen to have on hand…we eat variations of it all the time! I do the same thing with italian sausage too, I grill the whole package at once and then slice the leftovers to do this with.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just cook less carbs and more vegetables?
  • kristinhsu1
    Options
    This is one that the family calls Taco Chicken, not sure if you would be interested in Mexico.

Chicken breasts tossed in "taco seasoning" (I make my own because of sodium)
    In roasting pan put sliced Jalapenos on top of breasts. Cover with salsa or just diced tomatoes for taste preference. Cover with low fat shredded cheese and bake.

I serve it with a side salad and beans. The husband has rice with his :).
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My go-to dinners .......

Grilled meats ..... grilled vegetables with a sprinkle of cheese ...... and sometimes grilled fruit :drinker:
  • These_goto_11
    These_goto_11 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Easy low carb recipe;
    1) four chicken breast
    2) 12 strips of bacon
    3) onion powder and paprika

Wrap each breast width-wise with three strips of bacon
    place the wrapped breast in a crockpot, sprinkle with onion salt and paprika and set on low for six hours
    Each breast has
    315 calories
    14.5g fat
    47g protein
    0 carbs!

Add some sauteed mushrooms and asparagus and your set
    Keep it simple!

Dusting off my crock pot and trying this today!