TDEE too low to lose weight???

Options
First, since it's always asked I'm 18 and 141 lbs and am 5'3 1/2".
I use to over exercise and was made stopped and I gained 30 lbs. I use to be 110, so my question is. How do I get back there? My problem is that I have a slow metabolism after that damage, I wore my heart strap all day, and counting exercise it was only 1300.. And yes it's accurate bc I've done it more than one time.. How am I suppose to lose weight if I eat 1,400 but only burn 1,300?? I have a low heart rate, usually 55-60 resting, so 'living' (not gym) my calories don't add up.

How am I suppose to make a calorie deficit to lose weight if I burn and eat the same because my tdee( if I'm correct, it's bmr and exercise. Which in my case was 1,300) is so low?? I generally eat 1400, sometimes as much as 1,600 and I still don't lose because there's no deficit..

Any advice?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Your body burns calories by just be being alive. Your goal isn't to have a negative deficit? I'm confused.

I'm your stats and lose on 1650 net. Could you open your diary, perhaps?

Are you logging everything? Weighing solids, measuring liquids? At 18, your body should still be growing. Do you have a doctor that could give you a nutritionist or someone to speak to on this. 110 lbs is very close to underweight. Maybe your goals should be less scale focused and more mirror and measurements. Resistance training would be a great thing to do to help retain muscle mass. Aim to lose .5-1lb a week. You might find you don't need to lose that much

ETA: HRM are only meant to measure VO2 max and are not accurate for caloric burn. Especially if worn all day. They're only meant to be worn during steady state cardio.
  • kgb6112
    kgb6112 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also, apologizing for if I reply wrong or quote someone wrong on here I'm new to this replying stuff hahaha
  • kgb6112
    Options
    Right and the calories it burns being alive were tracked on my heart rate moniter. Which is accurate bc it's counting it all.,

My metabolism is all messed up from working out so much and whatnot that I barely burn anything .
    My goal is to have a negative deficit 500-100 0negative for 1-2 lbs a week ,

I weigh absolutely everything.! I have a scale,
    My goal is a weight not a measurement.i was 110 and then I over ate and gained weight, and then I lost it by working oh (too much) and now I'm trying to gett back to where I started (110)

So my heart rate monitor measures activity. Does that mean most of our calories burned come from inner body functions we can't calculate???
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    many calories are burned while you're asleep or sitting. you CAN calculate it - i believe that's more or less that TDEE is. to calculate it very accurately, you'd need among other things to know your accurate and correct body fat percentage.

my experience with calories tracked by most heart rate monitors are that they're wrong. they're always wrong for me as i lost a lot of lean muscle, and am now 40% body fat, but my BMI indicates i'm 30%, and that's what the heartrate monitors - except for the really good ones - use to calculate calories burned. since muscle is what uses calories, and i have less than my BMI would indicate, that means that most calorie burn calculators are wrong for me - and they could be for you, too.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Okay, let's assume your metabolism was damaged. I'm pretty sure being in a caloric surplus by which you gained 30 lbs should have at least helped to correct a metabolism worn down by excessive deficit and over training.

I gained 50 lbs before I tried to lose weight the first time. I killed myself with cardio. Ate 1200 calories non net. Felt like junk but lost 50 lbs. Let's assume that messed me up to. I regained that 50 lbs by relapsing on old habits and getting pregnant for the second time, eating whatever I wanted. I've since recovered from that.

You say the scale isn't your focus, yet you want to get back down to a near underweight bmi
  • kgb6112
    Options
    That's what I would've thought too.. But I still have a low heart rate constantly when not working out. Doesn't that also mean I will burn less just sittin there? Bc working out you get your heart rate up TO BURN MORE so my resting heart rate does the opposite

I said the scale is what I want to see go down. I was 110 before I ever exercised and over ate. So that was my natural weight so I can't help that it was 'almost underweight', I wouldn't mind 115 ish but I would also like to be what I. Initially was before I decided to eat so poorly
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose weight and what have your results been so far?
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    That's what I would've thought too.. But I still have a low heart rate constantly when not working out. Doesn't that also mean I will burn less just sittin there? Bc working out you get your heart rate up TO BURN MORE so my resting heart rate does the opposite

I said the scale is what I want to see go down. I was 110 before I ever exercised and over ate. So that was my natural height so I can't help that it was 'almost underweight', I wouldn't mind 115 ish but I would also like to be what I. Initially was before I decided to eat so poorly

How long ago was before? I mean, you've probably grown some inches since then, still being 18 and all. I'm just saying don't obsess over what you were. Focus on who you are now.
  • kgb6112
    Options
    I've been trying since I was allowed to workout again, about two to three months and I've gotten no where. I absolutely eat what I put I measure everything, I just believe my metabolism was damaged that I barely burn anything
  • kgb6112
    Options
    All within last January, I was the same height then and now. And I get that, but most people wouldn't be happy gaining 30 lbs of fat ( since no gym and ate bad from being miserable about no gym) and 110-115 was when I was happyy with myself. I'm not gonna accept myself 30 more lbs when I don't feel comfortable whatsoever. I gotta work my *kitten* off to get back lady!! I just don't know how much to eat or burn all because I feel like nothing makes a deficit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Right and the calories it burns being alive were tracked on my heart rate moniter. Which is accurate bc it's counting it all.,

My metabolism is all messed up from working out so much and whatnot that I barely burn anything .
    My goal is to have a negative deficit 500-100 0negative for 1-2 lbs a week ,

I weigh absolutely everything.! I have a scale,
    My goal is a weight not a measurement.i was 110 and then I over ate and gained weight, and then I lost it by working oh (too much) and now I'm trying to gett back to where I started (110)

So my heart rate monitor measures activity. Does that mean most of our calories burned come from inner body functions we can't calculate???

Again, HRMs are not designed to estimate calories for everyday or low intensity activity. The calorie estimation formulas are based on a known relationship between HR and VO2 max during moderate intensity steady state cardio . There is no relationship between the two at all during low level activity.
    The HRM does not know the difference. It will give you a calorie estimate, it will not be accurate.

Regarding the low HR - it does not mean you burn less. HR is not direclty related to calorie burn. As I already mentioned, there is a relationship in a certain circumstance. If your HRM allows you to adjust VO2 max, then you can adjust for the lower HR and get a more accurate reading. If not, the HRM assumes that you have an average HR - which you don't.

Bottomline, in your case, unless you can adjust the VO2 max on your HRM, it isn't going to be accurate for exercise calorie estimates and even if you can, it is not accurate for establishing TDEE by wearing all day.

Check out this link
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is NOT supposed to calculate your TDEE. It is there to calculate calories burned when your heart rate is elevated through exercise or other activity. To get a better estimate of your TDEE, use a calculator. If the number is too low, exercise more. Then your TDEE will go up.

*edit* 3dogsrunning posted a more technical explanation at the same time as me. Listen to her!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what you're eating.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate of fifty but that's because my heart is in shape and I run marathons. When I wasn't in shape my resting heart rate was higher. A low heart rate is not indicative of a low metabolism
  • kgb6112
    Options
    My heart rate is high when I workout, safely high. So I think the watch is okay as far as that because it's average for. Workout rate. And I'll check it out!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The only way to really know what your resting metobolic rate is to be tested - everything else is just an estimate. It would be my strong suggestion that you do that - then you will know if you or right. If you are wrong, you will have accurate numbers to work with to find the real culprit.

What will you do if you can't blame your failure to gain weight on your metabolism, but rather on something you can control...?
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    All within last January, I was the same height then and now. And I get that, but most people wouldn't be happy gaining 30 lbs of fat ( since no gym and ate bad from being miserable about no gym) and 110-115 was when I was happyy with myself. I'm not gonna accept myself 30 more lbs when I don't feel comfortable whatsoever. I gotta work my *kitten* off to get back lady!! I just don't know how much to eat or burn all because I feel like nothing makes a deficit.

Losing the weight will not make you happy. There's nothing wrong with accepting yourself for who you are now. There's nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself. But loving yourself is far more important than obsessing over it like your life depends on it. I understand that desire to feel beautiful but it doesn't come from weight loss. It comes from within.

Trust me. I lost 50 lbs for my second time with that same mind set. I thought it would set me free and I was left shattered with the realization that until I loved myself inside, I'd pick myself apart for every imaginable flaw. You are beautiful. You always will be
  • kgb6112
    Options
    I just figured this: exercise. You burn more bc you elevate your heart rate and your body needs to work faster and so you burn more
    THEN not exercising- your body needs to work less (burns less) and my super low heart rate would mean my body works really 'less' vs exercise correct?? I'm just trying to explain my question. So naturally my low heart rate when not exercising means that I do burn less when I'm not working out?
  • kgb6112
    Options
    Ok. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to lose the bulky fat that is all on my legs now. I use to have slim legs that I loved. It's my fault they're not anymore. I just need help getting it back to where I was confident
  • kgb6112
    Options
    The only way to really know what your resting metobolic rate is to be tested - everything else is just an estimate. It would be my strong suggestion that you do that - then you will know if you or right. If you are wrong, you will have accurate numbers to work with to find the real culprit.

What will you do if you can't blame your failure to gain weight on your metabolism, but rather on something you can control...?
    Guess I'll see what the doctors say