Calories in Calories out Question

Options
I have been going to see a personal trainer and she has been amazing. One of the first things she did was look at my diet and tell me how many calories a day I should have. Now when we actually started to train and I was burning 500 calories a session she told me I was to eat them back. So I have 1600 calories starting out then after I work out I have to consume a total of 2100. I have seen some very different opinions on eating back the calories that you burn. My question is what do you think. Should you eat all the calories you burn or only a portion or none at all? What do you think and why?

Replies

• JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here have come to the consensus of eating back about half of the calories you burn. I'd say it's a good amount, accounting for over-estimated burns and underestimated calorie numbers in foods.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    i eat every one back
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    half for me
  • rachdlew
    rachdlew Posts: 108
    Options
    My trainer threatened my life if I did not eat all mine back lol. does eating all the calories back make the progress slower?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I only eat a portion back. I like leave some to account for miscalculations in calorie burns and calorie intake.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My trainer threatened my life if I did not eat all mine back lol. does eating all the calories back make the progress slower?
    i think it depends on your goals, and what progress means to you.
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    On days when I exercise I eat back(or ahead) about half of the calories MFP says I burn. It probably isn't that high anyway and I want to maintain about a 800 cal deficit each day so this seems to work. MFP seems to overestimate the number of cals burned during any workout. If you are following the
    MFP numbers i would suggest eating back no more than 60% of your workout cals to maintain your deficit.
  • rachdlew
    Options
    On days when I exercise I eat back(or ahead) about half of the calories MFP says I burn. It probably isn't that high anyway and I want to maintain about a 800 cal deficit each day so this seems to work. MFP seems to overestimate the number of cals burned during any workout. If you are following the
    MFP numbers i would suggest eating back no more than 60% of your workout cals to maintain your deficit.
    I use a heart rate monitor when I am working out
  • rachdlew
    Options
    i think it depends on your goals, and what progress means to you.
    I am trying not to focus on the numbers on my scale but me size. I am training for the police academy's physical tests and I really want to learn to lift. That is my focus and the weight is coming off with it.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started this topic once, got my post shut down lmao
  • rachdlew
    Options
    Why did it get shut down??
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yeah if I was wanting to put on muscle mass I would eat them back and more. Since I am trying to drop some pounds I personally don't eat any of them back unless I am hungry.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I always ate my exercise calories back. My goal was to end each day in a 300-500 calorie deficit and fuel my body adequately to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while dieting. If I burned a 1000 calories on a long run, I ate those 1000 calories back. Faster isn't better when it comes to weight loss. Stick with it and the pounds will add up, just look at my ticker.
  • rachdlew
    Options
    I always ate my exercise calories back. My goal was to end each day in a 300-500 calorie deficit and fuel my body adequately to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while dieting. If I burned a 1000 calories on a long run, I ate those 1000 calories back. Faster isn't better when it comes to weight loss. Stick with it and the pounds will add up, just look at my ticker.
    That is amazing and I needed to hear that thank you for sharing that with me.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Assuming your trainer is well-educated in nutrition, she should know the correct number of calories the workout is burning; most recommendations to 'only eat back half' stem from concern that the calories burned in the database used are optimistically high.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Assuming your trainer is well-educated in nutrition, she should know the correct number of calories the workout is burning; most recommendations to 'only eat back half' stem from concern that the calories burned in the database used are optimistically high.

this
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Sure it would slow your weight loss. If you're eating back all that you're burning, what's the point? We don't have the information your personal trainer has? Are you already on a severe calorie deficit diet? Do you need to lose weight? If you don't need to lose weight and you're just trying to get in shape, that would be one reason why you would eat calories back.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Ummm, it got a little loud. A few people were interested but then a few yahoo's jumped in, next thing you know everybody's fighting. I may have called one guy an a-hole. Anyway, I walked away from it, a few pages later it got shut down. lmao
  • rachdlew
    Options

Sure it would slow your weight loss. If you're eating back all that you're burning, what's the point? We don't have the information your personal trainer has? Are you already on a severe calorie deficit diet? Do you need to lose weight? If you don't need to lose weight and you're just trying to get in shape, that would be one reason why you would eat calories back.
    I am over weight. I am considered obese.
  • rachdlew
    Options

Ummm, it got a little loud. A few people were interested but then a few yahoo's jumped in, next thing you know everybody's fighting. I may have called one guy an a-hole. Anyway, I walked away from it, a few pages later it got shut down. lmao
    It is amazing how a simple question can make people angry. I hope it doesn't happen here lol.