Rowing Machine/Your fav?

Options
I have found that I am in love with rowing. It was always really hard for me and I couldn't do it for long or for distance.. but I made some short term goals.

I did a 250 calorie rowing challenge with some very fit ladies and I knew I couldn't beat them but it was fun to compete. I was shocked when I finished in just 2 minutes longer than they did.

10360449_10201196158866661_5248950060074977314_n_zps1ffbccfb.jpg
10349893_10201196158626655_6793912814683422307_n_zps0532f1f2.jpg
167b33bf-c466-4517-b60d-9c5bbea7ddd6_zps723df3ef.jpg
10334458_10201196157946638_3905098066953868626_n_zps1a3c47f8.jpg

My goal was in one month to be able to row 2000m... and the fact that I can now hit 5000 .... wow.. its crazy to be proud of yourself.

Then during a HIT workout between our sets with weights we tried with everything we had to hit 200m in 45 seconds. My normal time is 200m in 1 minute. I guess you could think only 15 seconds less.. but it was daunting. My friend got on.. she did it in 50 seconds. So of course, I thought no way can I do it.... then I DID IT!!.. Not once but during this workout I did it 15 times!!

What do you love to do in the gym, your fav?

Replies

• kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do love my Concept 2! Awesome workout!
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It is an awesome machine. Thank ya!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I usually do a 10-15Km steady pace session on mine, I have a WaterRower. For me it's very complementary to my running performance as it's low impact but also hammers my core and upper body in a way that running doesn't.
  • AlyssaLoflin
    AlyssaLoflin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Awesome workout! Great job exceeding your goal :). it's been a long time since I got on a real row machine, We got a 2nd dog about 7 months ago and when I can get both of them to cooperate I make a row machine out of 2 dogs and a rope with me in the middle rowing against their pulling resistance. I always have to swap sides because one of them gives me a lot more rapids than the other, lol.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine burns lots of bodyfat.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Nice work!

I love using the Concept 2. I use a hrm and keep my heart rate just below the anaerobic threshold. I normally go for about 25 minutes, and I feel great afterwards! I'm trying to get fit enough and in shape enough to get back in a real boat!
  • brittaney0625
    Options
    Nice work!

I love using the Concept 2. I use a hrm and keep my heart rate just below the anaerobic threshold. I normally go for about 25 minutes, and I feel great afterwards! I'm trying to get fit enough and in shape enough to get back in a real boat!

That is awesome. Good luck on your goals. You will be able to do it!!

I wear a bodymedia aka bodybugg. It deff shows how hard I am working on that machine. LOL
  • madi678
    madi678 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is great. I find the rower very challenging. I tend to doing a km as fast as I can and then move on to an exercise routine. But that km is getting easier.
  • brittaney0625
    Options
    Wow! That is great. I find the rower very challenging. I tend to doing a km as fast as I can and then move on to an exercise routine. But that km is getting easier.

Well don't give up! Then go up to 2km! You can do it!!
  • IcyOtter
    IcyOtter Posts: 2
    Options
    I LOVE my Concept2 rowing machine. I ran for six months. I tried to love it. I was able to run 10 kilometers, telling myself the whole time, that I would learn to love it. Nothing doing. I hated it every time and there was no end to the sore knees. Then, I stress fractured a bone in my foot and that was that. Thank God! But besides Aikido once a week, I was without a workout option. I live in a rural area so gyms are not a possibility. Then, last December, my husband bought me a Concept2 for my birthday. I fell in love with it immediately. When I first started, I could only pull 85 watts for about 20 minutes, with the resistance set on 2. Now, I can pull 115 watts for a full 60 minutes, with the resistance at 4 1/2. I have PIPES! I've never had pipes before! Also, my Aikido requires a strong core and the rower has helped so much with that. And the best part is, NO pain and no damaged joints. I walk 5-8 kilometers twice a week, row three times a week and go to Aikido once a week. It's working! I'm 44 and in better shape than I've been in a long time.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    29 minutes at steady pace, stroke rate at 16-18 spm, long hard strokes, last minute flat out as fast as I can go. use the total split time to pace the first 29 minutes next time. Repeat 3-4 times a week. At 16 -18 spm I could zone out. Bliss
  • annasensei
    annasensei Posts: 39
    Options
    Rowing can get a little boring for me (even with good music), so I tend to do interval training. For example, I'll do 1000 meters (at about 80% intensity) then jump off and do 15 pushups then 900 meters, jump off then 15 lunges, then 800 meters, jump off and plank for 45 seconds. It keeps things entertaining.
  • DiscePati
    DiscePati Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I too love my Concept 2. I use it to warm up before my lifting days as well as for cardio on those days. Normally I do 2k at about a 2:00 split to get my heart pumping and my body warmed up. I also do some 20:00 and 5k sessions. I love the full-body aspect of the exercise. I can understand the potential for boredom, but for me, I've found that if I'm concentrating on form, SPM, and 500 split time (plus overall time), I stay engaged and interested. But that's just me.
  • brittaney0625
    Options
    Rowing can get a little boring for me (even with good music), so I tend to do interval training. For example, I'll do 1000 meters (at about 80% intensity) then jump off and do 15 pushups then 900 meters, jump off then 15 lunges, then 800 meters, jump off and plank for 45 seconds. It keeps things entertaining.
    This is exactly like what I do on a normal day. This was just a for fun competition with my workout buddies. :)
    I don't think I find it boring tho, I love rowing.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    We have a Concept 2 @ work. I hate most forms of cardio but really enjoy rowing.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I hate most forms of cardio but really enjoy rowing.

Yeah. This is me too. Rowing and walking are the only forms of cardio I can stand.

Reminds me, I need to get back on Concept 2 after a break for a torn meniscus in my knee. I guess I'll just have to adjust my technique a bit..