P90X - Will it kill me?

Options
Okay, I need brutally honest reviews on P90X. My brother is thinking of ordering it and he is completely new to working out and fitness etc. He's thinking that P90X is the way to go because he'll look like that dude on the DVD cover - I accidentally laughed but I really do want to encourage him. Plus, I want to try it too. Now, mind you, I'm a complete weeny. I can't do pushups without making weird squeaking noises, I'm incapable of doing a situp all the way and the only pull up I'm familiar with is the one my 2-year-old nephew uses as underwear. So, is this going to be too difficult for me? Commitment isn't an issue, I'm pretty determined once I start. But I need honest reviews about it. Worth the investment or not? Did it work for you? Will it kill me and/or my brother? Will I keep all my appendages in tact? Will it make me stronger and not so much of a drama queen? Will it un-ween-ify me?

Let's hear it!

Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I just did the kenpo last night for the first time last night at a beachbody fit club. It was a free workout. There might be one by you. Anyways, I thought it was really tough. Great calorie burner. He does say to do what you can do because you will only get better each time. I had a difficult time and I have been doing Turbo Jam and I am on my second round of ChaLEAN Extreme. That might be a program to look into. Any other questions email me. I can hopefully help you more. :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    There are ways to modify the program. Each DVD shows you how to modify. It won't kill you. I would say that you should get P90X. It's a great workout to do with a male and you can encourage each other. I do P90X and Insanity each morning before work with my husband. I don't think your brother is going to be down with doing Chalean Extreme.
  • Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    You can do it! I'm starting my 3rd week tonight and I've already lost 8 inches! If I can do it, you can do it LOL
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think you should consider ChaLEAN EXTREME first. I am doing it now, and WOWZA---does she give you a good workout. I am very impressed, and she gets in my head on each DVD and pushes me just like a trainer is in the room. Its also made by Beachbody!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    DO IT! Don't worry, they'll tell you how to change it for your current fitness level. My wife couldn't do pushups or anything when we started P90X at the beginning of the summer. Now she's in the gym with me popping out 20 pushups and squatting her bodyweight.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Will it un-ween-ify me
    :laugh:

I don't know anything (and I am about to prove it):

I have P90X and they have a 'fitness test' to see if you can handle the course.

I of course ignored that completely and put the DVD in and went straight to work. I (like many) was not able to keep pace with Tony and his group. But as Tony says: "Do your best and forget the rest". You can push pause at anytime, take longer breaks. Also Tony shows you modified ways to the accomplish the same exercise.

I would say "Do It". Pace yourself, be easy on yourself, and just "Keep Pushing Play".

You'll be glad you did.

Don't forget to take the 'before' pictures and measurements. You will be amazed.

:flowerforyou:
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I have done p90x and plan to return to do ing it again. As someone said early, modify it for you and beside Tony keep saying do what you can do...
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love the X and after one round I lost 24 pounds and 2 pant sizes. I can now do push ups and still use a chair for my pull ups but after the end of this round I expect to be able to do pull ups unassisted too. If you want it you can get it with the X.
  • withanurgency
    Options
    You guys are awesome! All signs point to "yes I should get it"

Just worried about cost at this point, what's the cheapest I can go and get away with it?
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Maybe eBay?
  • withanurgency
    Options
    Maybe eBay?

I tried Amazon and I can get 10 DVDs for $140...but it doesn't come with the nutrition plan and some of the reviews said some DVDS don't work.

Will try eBay!
  • CreativeRedhead
    Options
    I definitely vote yes to getting it. You will lose weight, you will lose inches, you will become more fit. And yes after the first day or week even you'll think it's killing you. Your body will be sore (well mine was at least). Like so many before me have said, P90X can be modified to your level. Some things I still can't keep up with but others I can stay right on pace with the guys on the dvd. All of the workouts are fabulous, some are much harder than the rest and some are actually enjoyable like X Stretch, YogaX and Kenpo. You might become discouraged at first if you can't keep up but don't worry about it, just forget it and do what you can. I've heard many great things about Chalene Xtreme as well.
  • steve2375
    steve2375 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    "You guys are awesome! All signs point to "yes I should get it"

Just worried about cost at this point, what's the cheapest I can go and get away with it? "

**If you buy it from Beachbody, you can try it risk free for 90 days!! I think it is something like $120 bucks
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I just found it on eBay for $105. I'm glad you posted this, I was hoping to hear I made a good move buying it!
  • kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would be careful trying to get it on Amazon or EBay. There are a lot of counterfeit copies out there and you risk getting ripped off. Just go to Beachbody and get it there.

As far as ability.. you could always start with P90, do that, and then when finished, graduate to P90X.

I've done P90X for three rounds and also P90X+. There's no secrets, though. You could get the same results on your own doing weights and interval work and stuff, but it is a good program if you need things organized and spelled out for you. It really takes the guesswork out of a lot of stuff. I would highly recommend following the nutrition plan that comes with it. I've seen too many girls tackle it trying to eat at 1200 cals. There is an equation in the guide that will tell you how many calories to eat. Expect anywhere from 1800 to 2200 if you are a girl doing it.

I would also take the fit test first and feel comfortable with it. If you can't do 80-90% of the requirements on the fit test, I would start with P90 first.

To find the fit test: just go to google and type "p90x fit test" and it should be the first result that comes up.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Haha My first thought after reading the post was....Gosh I hope not Im going to try it
    maybe I should wait and see if it kills you first then decide.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm of the No suggestion. I think if you are uncertain with a program like P90X, you will be uncertain with it enough to not start. When I've mentioned to people it's the program I'm doing, I get a lot of "I bought it and it's sitting on my shelf" or "I couldn't do it'. I think you have to be relatively somewhat fit to begin with - there is also P90 - without the X factor. I think it's important to pick a program which you are successful at and would continue. My coach suggested ChaLean for me first, I opted against it because I knew my level of fitness.

Yes, you can modify, but why not start with something else and move onto something you don't have to modify.

I'm super against counterfeit products and would wonder why you would want to save a few dollars, and it's not much. Having my coach from Beachbody has made a world of difference in my confidence, someone I can email when I have a question or concern, you don't get that on ebay.
  • withanurgency
    Options
    Personally, I would be careful trying to get it on Amazon or EBay. There are a lot of counterfeit copies out there and you risk getting ripped off. Just go to Beachbody and get it there.

As far as ability.. you could always start with P90, do that, and then when finished, graduate to P90X.

I've done P90X for three rounds and also P90X+. There's no secrets, though. You could get the same results on your own doing weights and interval work and stuff, but it is a good program if you need things organized and spelled out for you. It really takes the guesswork out of a lot of stuff. I would highly recommend following the nutrition plan that comes with it. I've seen too many girls tackle it trying to eat at 1200 cals. There is an equation in the guide that will tell you how many calories to eat. Expect anywhere from 1800 to 2200 if you are a girl doing it.

I would also take the fit test first and feel comfortable with it. If you can't do 80-90% of the requirements on the fit test, I would start with P90 first.

To find the fit test: just go to google and type "p90x fit test" and it should be the first result that comes up.

Great advice! Thanks so much!
  • withanurgency
    Options

Great! Thanks so much! Kimi from Beach Body is helping me too!