Seriously considering at stopping the logging.

Options

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Then don't log. I only logged for a very short time, towards the middle of my weight loss. For me, when I really thought about it, it was obvious where I was going wrong with my diet. I logged for a while, just for funsies, but it wasn't that necessary. The fact that I'm aware of what I'm eating, but not logging makes the whole thing feel more like a healthy lifestyle change and not a condition that I'm monitoring short-term. Do what works best for you! Maybe try not logging for a month and see what happens.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I log to track my macros more than calorie count now that I'm at maintenance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think constant logging in the long-term just slows down your metabolism, keeps you feeling cold and miserable, and even unplanned weight loss.

How would logging your food slow down your metabolism??? Or lead to an unplanned weight loss??? Assuming, of course, that you're eating to an appropriate daily surplus of calories.

Letting your body tell you when it's time to eat, and not your diary.

Anyway my eating habits have changed completely, I eat completely different foods these days, im happy with it, it's just common sense how to control your eating habitswhen you do when you been already been logging for over 200 days like me.

I have logged for over 365 days and at maitenance as well....I will continue logging.

Eating differently does not guarantee maitenance...your issue is you haven't found maitenance yet

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1325070-still-losing-on-2-500-calories-a-day

You aren't really sure of how much you are eating even with logging

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1317660-overestimating-am-i-the-only-one

And you are following a number to maintain even tho you know it's not maitenance

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1305972-how-long-do-you-think-you-can-keep-up-with-your-maintaince
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1302653-never-feeling-satisfied
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1293835-i-need-to-gain-but-i-m-scared
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1300153-struggling-with-eating-the-right-amount-of-food

To be very frank with you logging for you is not a good thing....2200 calories to maintain for a medium active man? common sense says no absolutely not when a 41 year old woman can maintain on that...but you logged 2200 even knowing you were over estimating and continued to lose weight when you shouldn't be...

IMHO you shouldn't be logging it is hampering your ability to enjoy life...you are always cold, hungry and are still losing weight even though you are in your mid range for "healthy" weight.

Logging itself is fine when you do it correctly...which means accurately using a kitchen scale, not over estimating and guessing.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just to think, logging food and keeping records is really only for beginners, I mean I really needed the information when I started 10 months ago, but these days, I just estimate what I eat, know what foods to avoid or eat less off, And I only now log everything at the end of the day and never find myself going seriously over my limit.

I think constant logging in the long-term just slows down your metabolism, keeps you feeling cold and miserable, and even unplanned weight loss.
    I think if this works for you then great! Enjoy your new found freedom...
    For me it is so hard. Every time I give up logging I fall off the track. I guess it is a sham to have to log but it is what works for me.
    It helps me to be held accountable for my actions. Some days I really hate logging...
    Great Luck!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I think its great you can do this; also amazed at your ability to select foods which way the exact same every day, all the time. Best of luck OP, you have a great grocer providing you with nutritious fruits weighing the exact same each time.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This is a different take...

If you have a lifestyle where you work at the same place every day, don't have to travel, have control over your food at home, then I really feel that someone can get totally "in tune" and stop logging.

But, for many of us with schedules that change daily, travel, etc. etc. etc. - Logging sometimes is the only thing that keeps me honest.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Logging is what keeps me honest also; and I need consistency which is sorely lacking. Day to day is different so my intake is not the same set of foods each day.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    I have log my food for a long time even before this last attempt at losing weight. It allowed me to know what were my downfall and the most important portion size.

Since a month I am not logging my food but use the tool to check food that Im not sure about or to confirm if I am not off in my estimation about calories.

Keep track in my mind but if I see that my weight stall or there is a small increase I will go back to see where I went wrong.

Main reason for me is to remove from my mind that I am on a diet and accept the fact that this is the way I must eat from now on and that there is no gojng back. Tracking keeps me way to focus on the word diet.
  • msboujhie
    msboujhie Posts: 3
    Options
    I concur.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm "thisclose" to my final goal. I got here by logging when I started my journey back in 2008. It was via pen and paper then, so I find MFP to be a painless way to continue. No little book to lose and no panicking when I can't find a pen.

With 6 years of this under my (MUCH smaller) belt, I can guarantee that if I stop, I'm going to get lazy and not pay attention. I know me....that's just the kinda gal I am! :bigsmile:

I've decided that I'm worth the extra little tiny bit of effort it takes to continue tracking. I'm addicted to spreadsheets and numbers and trends and tracking feeds that nicely.

And, for me, having the ability to go back and see what I've done in the past actually helps me meal plan! "Oh yeah! I forgot I ate that - - it was good....I'll make that again!" :drinker:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just to think, logging food and keeping records is really only for beginners, I mean I really needed the information when I started 10 months ago, but these days, I just estimate what I eat, know what foods to avoid or eat less off, And I only now log everything at the end of the day and never find myself going seriously over my limit.

Err how can logging food slow down metabolism? Anyway most studies show that those that continue to log even into maintenance are more likely to keep weight off long term. For something that takes a few minutes most days stopping seem to me like your going to cut your nose off to spite your face. Your choice though but consider why you made this post if you're so sure?
  • msboujhie
    msboujhie Posts: 3
    Options
    Logging in helps me to keep my carbohydrate count recorded which is very important as a new diabetic. It's motivation to see my achievements .
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Err how can logging food slow down metabolism? Anyway most studies show that those that continue to log even into maintenance are more likely to keep weight off long term. For something that takes a few minutes most days stopping seem to me like your going to cut your nose off to spite your face. Your choice though but consider why you made this post if you're so sure?

You, sir, are brilliant. I just got to my goal weight. Now I need to find maintenance. No chance I'm relying on instinct to do that. I've been logging, even pre MFP, for longer than I can remember. I plan to continue in maintenance. One big reason to stay on MFP for it, besides the awesome friends I have? I can track protein, fiber and sodium, all very important numbers to my personal health story.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Day 788 here. I know myself. I am good at estimating now with foods that I eat often, but after losing 100 pounds, I need a safety net because I'm not going back. Ever. I still do not trust my body. It's sneaky and works in secret with my brain. Logging every day keeps the two of them in check.

If this works for you - I'm happy. There is hope out there that one day I will feel this way, too.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

How would logging your food slow down your metabolism??? Or lead to an unplanned weight loss??? Assuming, of course, that you're eating to an appropriate daily surplus of calories.

A watched calorie never burns.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I just reached my GW and will continue to log - I am not planning to stop. I worked to hard to get to my GW and don't to allow it to slip. Does my body tell me when to eat - yes sadly most of the time I am awake - I have realised over time that there are very few foods that I do not like and any time is eating time. I need to logging to keep me honest and accountable. Logging occasionally reminds that I just ate 1 hour ago so WTH am I doing looking in the fridge!

Of course folks are different and if you want to move on with out logging - you choice. You asked the question and your are getting a number of views. Maybe check in after 12 months and let us know how you are doing.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I could never seriously log for the rest of my life. I don't see how logging could have the negative effects you describe, but if you think it's time to see if you can maintain good habits without constant tracking, then do it.

Yes, a lot of people slip up when they first stop logging, or they might eventually go back into bad habits, but that doesn't mean that everyone does. I stopped logging and constantly thinking about my calorie count last time I reached my goal weight and managed to maintain for quite some time. I'm now back because stuff came up, my life changed, and I lost good habits. That happens.

If things go a bit wrong, it's not hard to come back. I would just suggest that you weigh yourself every so often to make sure you're not putting on weight without realizing.
  • PghPammy
    PghPammy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Honestly, simply weighing in periodically really doesn't tell you all that much. It needs to be taken in context with what else you been doing (like Iif you are following a specific diet/exercise protocol with a certain goal in mind). For example, if you start following a keto-style die (and are logging to follow macros not calories)t, and also have your body composition measured, at the end of a year it's entirely possible that your weight might not have changed much at all, but your body composition has (e.g., if your body fat% goes down you'll lose inches but if you've maintained your muscle mass, no change will register on the scale). There are all sorts of reason to log that have nothing to do with the old calories in calories out model - an elimination diet to try to find food sensitivities is another example.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that says you absolutely have to log. If you don't want to log, then don't log.

But I disagree with your statement about slowing metabolism and unplanned weight loss. Logging is just that, recording how many calories you're consuming on a daily basis. You don't necessarily have to have a calorie goal that has a deficit. You can log maintenance calorie goals. And to that, you can have a slowed metabolism and unplanned weight loss without logging too... so I really don't think this is a valid point.

I've been logging 385 days. Sure some days it's tedious, but other days I actually quite enjoy it. It shows me how much wiggle room I have and I can fill my days with yummy foods and still have room for cookies and such. I think it's pure win, but that's just me.