Is obsession contra productive?

Options
Hi sorry if this was discussed before. I have found out that the reason why I've been trying to lose weight for years now is not by lacking willpower,or well... I manage for 3 weeks to keep up with almost a heroic regime-eating small portions and exercise daily-but that is the everlasting problem-I am so exhausted that people around me start saying I look like I'm about to die... Which is not very positive I guess, so I quit. Well I was wondering why after two weeks of normal healthy reduced diet do I always fall into that state at which I brainlessly do my hardest to eat the least I can(around 500-1000kcal) plus exercise daily. I somehow start ignoring all these very known facts about weight loss and become so obsessed with my figure. And after I can't keep up with being that tired and hungry I obviously binge for days, feel horrible, then I stop and start the circle again believing this time I will achieve it.. How do I stop this circle and stop being so much obsessed about it? I want to be healthy but I just can't get rid of that idea to be slim right now, I think that life will become happier once I lose weight, probably that is the problem... Thank you for all your ideas!!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Seek professional help.

You go to extremes then binge. You think you'll be happier when you have some arbitrary number on the scale. It doesn't work that way. What you're describing is in no way normal or healthy. So my suggestion is to seek some professional help.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Hi, why not make small changes. Make an adjustment get use to it, then move to the next and so forth. You dont have to do radical changes to lose weight, what matters is that it is consistant. Exemple for exercise you can start by walking 30 minutes, when it is part if you daily routine jncrease the pace and distance, then again when it is an habit add something. Same thing for food, set you mind to reduce your portion without going overboard, on and on and on.

No matter what you decide to do remember that it is an improvement from before.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Obsession is absolutely counterproductive. I agree that you should speak with a professional. Your relationship with food and 'dieting' does not sound healthy at all.

There is no reason to restrict as much as you have described. If you use MFP even at it's lowest recommendation is 1200 calories. However I will bet that you can lose at a more reasonable deficit. If you calculate your numbers realistically.

Stop 'dieting', don't be too restrictive, set up a reasonable, moderate deficit and move a bit more. It's really that simple. Why people over complicate this is beyond me.
  • svr1964
    svr1964 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know I struggle with the same problems. What has helped me is to call it "lifestyle changes" and focus less on the term "diet". Also, I find that for me, weighing in weekly is a trigger so try to do it every other week. Anything you can do to take your mind off of it is helpful when you start to feel that hopeless feeling.

It's hard to do, but try not to let yourself fall below the calories suggested. Again, I'm dealing with the same issues and know how frustrating it is.