Should you give up? The answer is no!♡

This is hard, I'm not going to deny that. This is a mental battle, above all else. You get yourself all psyched. Put motivational pictures all over your wall, research until your eyeballs explode about what to eat/what not, how much food/exercise, and you say, "I'm ready. " your heart is full of hope as you lead the charge. A few weeks go by. Maybe you lost a few pounds from water weight the first week, that helped push you to the next week. Then, after a month or two it feels like it's starting to retreat to a snail's pace. Maybe weight loss has even stalled (or appears so for a myriad of reasons). You look at before and after pictures. Even though you may have lost weight. It doesn't seem like much

15rxd7c.jpg

I mean, come on! It's been almost 2 months of hard work!

While that's true. Always keep in mind we never stop growing and learning in life. Learning sustainable habits during weight loss is pretty crucial to overall sustainability long term and that is far more important than racing to finish. I mean, you want to keep the weight off, right? (Okay, my case involves lifting heavy things and bulking but that's not the same as just gaining weight freely, it's mindful to overall fitness for muscle gain but ya know :P). And even IF worse case scenario you did gain weight and it wasn't water retention, sodium, TOM (for us ladies)....it's not the end of the world! Keep trying!

Okay, so here's a few things to keep in mind.

Are you logging consistently? Every bite, nibble, and lick? While everyone doesn't need to own a food scale, it is a nice tool if weight loss has stalled to pinpoint possible logging errors. Be meticulous. Everything counts!

Are you keeping a sustainable deficit? Depending on how much you have to lose will determine how aggressively you can approach your weight loss goal. Less to lose means lessening your deficit to ensure you retain muscle. Your muscles include everything, even vital ones like heart and lungs but also, retaining muscle means looking leaner at goal weight because as you lose fat (genetics determine where we lose weight from, there is no spot reduction), you uncover the muscle underneath.

Resistance training is definitely recommended. It works those muscles to help retain them at a deficit, with the potential for muscle gain in a surplus. Heavy lifting is probably the best but body weight exercises can still be quite effective.

Cardio. Is a nice way to help with possible logging errors. Is great for cardiovascular health. Weight loss is about calorie deficit. If you hate cardio, walking and stuff is still nice. I uh...probably need to do it more >.>

2yvno0n.jpg

I know this may sound silly to some. But love yourself and be forgiving of your flaws. No one is perfect. We all have things that we cannot change. For me it's my stretch marks from kids and rapid gain, the fact my lower stomach holds more fat because of genetics than other areas. Focus on the good. Always. When you make a change to better yourself and your health, those are great reasons. The vanity aspect is nice too. I enjoy my hips now more than ever, my biceps. But! Don't beat yourself up the things that are out of your control. This is a game of patience.

2ia8lj5.jpg

Here's a secret: you don't have to give up foods you love. Health is about balance. When we obsess over trivial words like good or bad, we potentially set ourselves up for failure when we can't meet such high expectations. I'm not saying don't eat healthfully. Absolutely do. But do so keeping in mind that foods are foods. Focus on nutrient density and sustainability. Not clean or dirty. Good or bad. These are some of my favorite evening treats

21jnhxw.jpg

Here's some great links to read if you haven't already.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Don't give up on yourself! You can do anything you set your mind to, to better your health and fitness, to start something that could very well become a passion.

You got this!

Replies

• AsiasMommy
    AsiasMommy Posts: 64 Member
    Thank you for this
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    giphy.gif

I love your legs! :love: :blushing:
    You have always been the greatest inspiration for me, love! :flowerforyou:

Thank you for such an encouraging post!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    a definite NO:drinker:

this is fantastic.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Great way to start the day. I am actually about to face week six and have that arghhh feeling of wishing things were progressing more noticeably and quickly and also wishing that the scale would wink at me (even though I know the scale to be a pretty lame index in my bracket).

Thanks for the awesome post. You look terrific - and what I always enjoy most about your pictures is your "flex of confidence!"

Have a great day SugaryL!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Thank you for this
    :flowerforyou:
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    You amaze and inspire so many every single day. You are a beautiful soul - inside and out!
  • SugaryLynx
    giphy.gif

I love your legs! :love: :blushing:
    You have always been the greatest inspiration for me, love! :flowerforyou:

Thank you for such an encouraging post!

I've been wanting those jagged angular lifting lady legs for sooo long, thank you so much!♡♡

Eeek. Also, love your pp! You kick *kitten*!
  • SugaryLynx
    a definite NO:drinker:

this is fantastic.

Lurve you lady!♡
  • SugaryLynx
    Great way to start the day. I am actually about to face week six and have that arghhh feeling of wishing things were progressing more noticeably and quickly and also wishing that the scale would wink at me (even though I know the scale to be a pretty lame index in my bracket).

Thanks for the awesome post. You look terrific - and what I always enjoy most about your pictures is your "flex of confidence!"

Have a great day SugaryL!

:flowerforyou: :heart:

So many feels!! Thank you so much! You have a beautiful day as well :D
  • SugaryLynx
    You amaze and inspire so many every single day. You are a beautiful soul - inside and out!

Thank you! Same to you! :love: simply amazing, you are!
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Good stuff; you look great. Threads like this are always inspirational.
    :happy:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Brilliant, SugaryLynx :drinker: . Ooh, and that's the first leg pic of yours I've seen! Hubba, hubba:heart::love:! I am moved to another level of inspiration. Thank you!

Seriously, progress pictures are my new motivator. Sure, tape measure and strength gains and the scale show tiny progresses, but the pics--our pics show the overall progression.

And the answer to the post title--NO, always NO!:flowerforyou:
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Great post. This should be pinned at the top for people who feel like quitting or having doubts.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Great post. This should be pinned at the top for people who feel like quitting or having doubts.

YESS! I concur..bc there are plenty of posts today that need to read this thread.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    NEVER EVER GIVE UP - giving up is what got you where you are today ... to quote the jerk in the moustach " hows that working for ya"drphil.jpg
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Thank you!! This helped me today. :flowerforyou:
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    You are amazing - a great inspiration, thank you for putting yourself out there for so many to see. I hope that just one of these women who think they have to starve themselves or that this is too hard will read this and see how 'simple' it really is... do your research but don't over complicate it! Cheers! :drinker:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Oh admit it, you just make these posts so you can show off your sexy bod and ice cream! :love:
    Learning sustainable habits during weight loss is pretty crucial to overall sustainability long term and that is far more important than racing to finish. I mean, you want to keep the weight off, right? (Okay, my case involves lifting heavy things and bulking but that's not the same as just gaining weight freely, it's mindful to overall fitness for muscle gain but ya know :P). And even IF worse case scenario you did gain weight and it wasn't water retention, sodium, TOM (for us ladies)....it's not the end of the world! Keep trying!

This one part really spoke to me. I gained my weight during my last pregnancy. It was a tough pregnancy, I was exhausted, even ended up on modified bed rest near the end. No, my pregnancy isn't responsible for me gaining the weight, but eating a lot of take out and not being able to move around much did the trick.

Because of that I was freaked out about the idea of take out food after I started losing on MFP, and cooked everything at home so I could control portions or ingredients. I remember my first during- weight-loss take out meal - pizza, because it was one of those fundraiser nights for my daughter's school. I planned for it to fit into my calories, even threw in an extra workout in the days leading up to it so I would have plenty of wiggle room. Ordered the pizza and fit it in. I was very excited.

Then I spent the evening with my hand in a family size bag of M&Ms. It had been in our house for weeks, I hadn't gone near it, but something about the take-out pizza triggered that old behavior. I felt like crap the entire rest of the night and the next day (not physically, but emotionally) because I felt like I'd just screwed up my entire week.

I didn't end up gain weight. I don't remember if I lost as much weight or any weight that week, but I didn't gain. And like you said, it wasn't the end of the world. It actually taught me that I could relax a little and not cook all the time. We still cook at home 98% of time, but now we eat out once or twice a month (stuff's expensive where I live), and I'm ok if I don't lose that week or don't lose as much. One day isn't going to screw up months of progress.
  • This is a perfect post. :) Thank you so much for advice and motivation. I'm more than halfway through my journey and sometimes this becomes the HARDER part of the journey (the newness and novelty have more-or-less worn off) so it's a matter of reminding yourself about the LIFESTYLE change rather than the 'quick-fix.' You're looking great! :)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Beautifully done!! Congrats!!