Disproportionate Arms

Options
I have lost about 6 lbs in my journey so far and I notice a MASSIVE difference in my stomach and even my legs, but my arms seem to stay the same size. If you were only looking at my arms you'd assume that I was bigger than I am. I'm worried that I'll be this fit, small person with chunky arms. Any other ladies have this problem? I do low weight high rep arm exercises to tone but I'm also worried about gaining muscle.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    We're our own worst critic.

First Google "spot reduction myth"

Then Google "high rep myth".

Then Google "bulking women myth".

Good luck.
  • caseypcarlin
    caseypcarlin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We're our own worst critic.

First Google "spot reduction myth"

Then Google "high rep myth".

Then Google "bulking women myth".

Good luck.

I realize that spot reduction doesn't work, which is why I said "tone". Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Toning IS the myth of spot reduction; localised fat loss is influenced at such a miniscule rate by exercising a particular part of your body, that it's just not worth worrying about. Overall fat loss is what will firm up your arms - along with everything else.

And don't do high rep, light weight stuff. It's genuinely a waste of time. You won't grow large muscles - it doesn't happen quickly even for men, and you're both a woman and I assume in an energy deficit.
  • caseypcarlin
    Options
    Toning IS the myth of spot reduction; localised fat loss is influenced at such a miniscule rate by exercising a particular part of your body, that it's just not worth worrying about. Overall fat loss is what will firm up your arms - along with everything else.

And don't do high rep, light weight stuff. It's genuinely a waste of time. You won't grow large muscles - it doesn't happen quickly even for men, and you're both a woman and I assume in an energy deficit.

Thank you. There is so much contrasting info on the internet about weight loss for women. It's easy to get whiplash using different sources. That's why I love MFP as a resource of helpful experienced people in the same boat as me :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about gaining muscle?

Genetics dictate where you lose and gain fat. "Toning" or whatever phrase you wish to use will not change that. If by toning, you mean you wish to show some muscle definition (which is not the same as gaining muscle) and lose fat...Keep lifting, add some weight and switch to lower reps (nothing more than 15, if you simply must do higher reps), you will not gain tons of muscle. Keep eating at a reasonable deficit, and you will eventually lose some arm fat.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    High rep with low weight, ie training to failure, builds pump. Not what you're looking for. High weight, low rep training for strength will build the dense toned muscle you're looking for. There's lots of women's heavy lifting posts here. Check those women out. They got smaller and tighter when lifting heavy.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Thank you. There is so much contrasting info on the internet about weight loss for women. It's easy to get whiplash using different sources. That's why I love MFP as a resource of helpful experienced people in the same boat as me :)

Yeah weeding through all the info that is out there is tough. Like the others have said though "toning" a muscle is not really a thing. What you want to do is just do some full body strength training and maintain a calorie deficit to lose body fat until you reach your goal. It will leave you with the "tone" tight look you are going for. You will not build any noticeable muscle doing this. Although you may notice some swelling from the lifting, it is just that, and would go away if took a break from lifting for a few days. You would get this from either high rep or low rep lifting so you should do the one that actually makes you stronger, increases bone density, improves posture, reduces injury risks and so on.

As the others have said you can not choose where the body fat comes off first. So just keep on training and you will get there.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have this as well, my upper arms and my calves are larger in comparison to the rest of me making me look rather disproportionate, even more so that I've lost weight, but I've learned to live with it.

I chose to lift heavy, if I'm going to have large upper arms no mater what I do they're going to be muscle not flab, I chose to work harder on my lower legs hitting my calves from all sorts of angles so at least if I can never wear skinny jeans or tight knee high boots my calves will look amazing in anke cut ones.

We all have the habit of concentrating on what we don't like about ourselves, especially in comparison to other "perfect" people. Instead of worrying about your arms compliment yourself on what you like and how far you've come already.
  • caseypcarlin
    Options

Yeah weeding through all the info that is out there is tough. Like the others have said though "toning" a muscle is not really a thing. What you want to do is just do some full body strength training and maintain a calorie deficit to lose body fat until you reach your goal. It will leave you with the "tone" tight look you are going for. You will not build any noticeable muscle doing this. Although you may notice some swelling from the lifting, it is just that, and would go away if took a break from lifting for a few days. You would get this from either high rep or low rep lifting so you should do the one that actually makes you stronger, increases bone density, improves posture, reduces injury risks and so on.

As the others have said you can not choose where the body fat comes off first. So just keep on training and you will get there.

Thanks!!
  • caseypcarlin
    Options
    I have this as well, my upper arms and my calves are larger in comparison to the rest of me making me look rather disproportionate, even more so that I've lost weight, but I've learned to live with it.

I chose to lift heavy, if I'm going to have large upper arms no mater what I do they're going to be muscle not flab, I chose to work harder on my lower legs hitting my calves from all sorts of angles so at least if I can never wear skinny jeans or tight knee high boots my calves will look amazing in anke cut ones.

We all have the habit of concentrating on what we don't like about ourselves, especially in comparison to other "perfect" people. Instead of worrying about your arms compliment yourself on what you like and how far you've come already.

Yes, I should be kinder to myself and I tend to get lost in what I don't like. Thanks for the support!! I have the same issue with knee high boots too, but I love the way my legs look in a dress :)