Am i too fat for the gym

Options
Weather has been so bipolar here in the Netherlands and I really am focusing the next year on getting me in shape.
I am currently at 378 pounds but I am scared that nothing will support me at the gym so I am scared to go..
I ride my bike everyday but i just dont feel its enough , i want to start really hitting it up in the gym at least 2 hours.

HELP:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely take a tour of your gym before you sign up and ask them what the weight limits are on the different machines. In fact, do that for SURE before you sign anything or put down any money. You should feel comfortable going there. If you don't, it's not the gym for you - go ahead and tour the next one until you like what you find.

Good luck! Keep riding that bike! You're doing a great thing! :)
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Free weights (dumbells etc) won't require you to sit at a machine. Resistance bands, kettlebells, even body weight exercises like wall push ups can be things you can do. I'm not a fan of gyms with tons of machines.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Please go there. Does this place have trainers? If they do, have them show you the machines and explain how everything works. Do it when the gym isn't crowded, so you don't feel self-conscious. The more you know how to use the equipment, the more comfortable you will feel when you do the workouts.

People might notice you because you're new to the place, but honestly most people are listening to music or focusing on their workouts. They aren't going to be staring at you. And if they, so what? They're rude.

Does this place have a swimming pool? The pool is a great place to get a workout if you're concerned about equipment.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.

Let me tell you, there is a woman who goes to my gym... she started at like 600+ lbs. She's lost about 125 lbs this past year. She does pool workouts alot, which is great for heavier people because it's low impact and still gets your heart rate going.

Don't be afraid to start because of your weight. Just do it. You'll be so glad you did.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a gym for the first time and was very self conscious at first but I'm very pleased at the mix of people there. I totally agree with the others, do a tour, ask questions, don't sign anything until you are sure you can use the machines you want to use. A pool is a great idea if its an option. I wasted years too afraid to go to the gym, don't wait!! I am really enjoying it. :)
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    Weather has been so bipolar here in the Netherlands and I really am focusing the next year on getting me in shape.
    I am currently at 378 pounds but I am scared that nothing will support me at the gym so I am scared to go..
    I ride my bike everyday but i just dont feel its enough , i want to start really hitting it up in the gym at least 2 hours.

hun, trust me when I say you are NOT to big for the gym!!! My best friend started at a higher weight than you and she goes to the gym... at the end of the day you have to do what feels right for you!!! Also hi from America... I have a sister who has lived in The Netherlands fora lil under 20 yrs now...
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options

You must get there---you will see the diversity of people and all of the things that you can do to get yourself in shape. You do NOT need 2 hours at the gym. One hour is good; focus mainly on your diet--that's where it's at. Take a tour of the gym, talk to the trainer showing you around. There are so many things you can do, such as aquarobics, free weights, spin class, Zumba, kick boxing; you name it; a good gym will have it. A good gym employee will be sensitive to your needs and help you set up a good routine for yourself. Now get out there and shine:) You are doing something great for yourself:) Oh!!! A bonus is the camaraderie at the gym; you will make friends who will help keep you focused:)
  • joshbond85
    joshbond85 Posts: 28
    Options
    No.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    No you're not! I was 410 lbs when i joined my planet fitness, I'm now down to 340.

Just make a list of gyms in your area, take tours there and ask questions or even test out the machines, and decide which atmosphere is right for you. :)
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I heard a sad story about a 400-pound (plus or minus 100 pounds) man at the health club. He got out of the car, walked toward the health club and then turned around and got back in the car. The person just sat there doing nothing.

My friend, who told me this story, felt sorry for the obese man and wondered what would happen if he went into the club.

My friend, upon leaving the club, was delighted to see a fitness employee walking around the outside of the building with the obese individual. That says so much for the credibility of the health club, the compassion of the employee and the courage of the man. It all starts with just one step.
  • Ryoku
    Ryoku Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I avoided the gym for years because I was afraid to be judged. I've been going steady for the past 4 months and I love it. Sure there are tiny people there but there are all sizes too. At least they see me working on trying to get in better shape than sitting at the food court eating chinese, lol.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, NO ONE is too fat to go to the gym!!!! Absolutely no one. Granted, there might be weight limits on the machines, but there are so many other things you can do at the gym that don't require to you to sit or stand on anything. Most people go to the gym to get healthy and they're not concerned about what you're doing or how you look. You have to start somewhere. Do what you can and it will get better over time - you'll be able to use machines that might have been off-limits at the beginning.

On the other hand, if you're not comfortable with going to the gym at your current size, then start at home. There are, literally, thousands of workout DVDs out there. Plus all the free videos you can find on YouTube.

Whatever you do, don't let fear stop you from doing something great for yourself!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    first off, no one is too fat for the gym.

Second, 2 hours is too long to workout. Youre not going to lose more weight by working out that long. What will probably happen is you will increase your hunger and end up eating more to fuel or recover from the long workouts. Shoot for 30-45 minutes most days of the week.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Free weights (dumbells etc) won't require you to sit at a machine. Resistance bands, kettlebells, even body weight exercises like wall push ups can be things you can do. I'm not a fan of gyms with tons of machines.

Yup. And you can use their track (and pool if they have one!) when the weather is icky.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I live in the Netherlands too! Great you ride your bike! I hope you find a gym you like. Who knows maybe there will be some fun classes you can be a part off. I wouldn't worry about anyone else there. They are all busy worrying about themselves. ;)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. No such thing. I was heavier than that when I started at the gym.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    1. Make a list what you want from a gym and in which order. (Personal trainer, pool, boxing, classes ...)
    2. Do test runs on different gyms
    3. Take the one you felt homely and can offer what you need and want (see point one)
    4. Use the Gym.

And I promise you, after a very short period of time you wonder how you could ever asked the question :wink:
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I started at 538lbs and I started at the gym when I was 420lbs. Don't let other people keep you from getting to your goals. Try and find a nice gym with a relaxed atmosphere. I know there are some gyms that are not really gyms but more like night clubs where fit people hang out....stay away from those types of gyms.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    No you are not to heavy I used to be the "big" girl at my old gym

I shook my big ol butt until it looks like this <--- see profile pics
  • marisun75
    marisun75 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use to think the same think but I joined and I love it. I go for myself :smile: I started first with riding my bike too. Joined the gym when it got too cold lol