Going solo has been a no go... I need friends

Options
Hi Everyone, I am so sick of being fat and unhealthy. My friend just invited me to go to the river and I declined. Rather than make up and excuse, I told her the truth, "I don't have the confidence to go." This friend can relate to the weight loss process because she has lost 85 pounds. However, I think that she has forgotten (thankfully, for her) what it actually feels like to be overweight in summer social situations. I know that I did when I went through a huge weight loss about 15 years ago.

Well, I'm back up and then some to the weight that I lost all those years ago. I gained weight after my son passed away 4 years ago. I had given birth to him 10 weeks before his death, so I was actively working on losing my pregnancy weight. Unfortunately, I have been through this cycle before. In 1995, one of my sisters passed away and I gained a ton of weight. It took about 4-5 years of working through the grief to get to the point where I could work on losing the weight. That was 15 years ago, so I guess I'm staying true to form by being ready to get healthy now.

I am reaching out to the MFP community for support. I need an outlet and safe space to discuss the process of losing weight. As I am sure you can relate to, weight loss is not the favorite topic of conversation for the people in my daily life. While they absolutely support me, they do not want to hear about small victories I have throughout the day when I decide to pack myself a healthy lunch instead of going through the drive-thru. Or when I choose to walk the 3 flights of stairs to my office instead of taking the elevator. I also want to hear about other peoples victories and struggles because I am interested and it's important for all of to know we are not alone.

I look forward to making new friends and finding a pep squad to cheer us all on!! :happy: :happy: :bigsmile:

Replies

• jdawgs0314
    jdawgs0314 Posts: 34
    Options
    Welcome. First of all I want to say sorry for the loss of your son. Secondly I want to say is you have come to the right place. I started on here June 3rd and am already down 17 lbs. Just tracking what i eat daily and of course exercising. But this site makes you accountable. The biggest thing to remember and it has worked with me is that 1 bad meal does not have to mean the next meal has to be bad. I stuggled with weight all my life but it really got out of control back in 2010 when i has heart procedure done. Now i am am feeling great and ready to live a healthier life.

feel free to add me. we can motivate each other.
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, first and foremost you have gone through a lot of pain for one person to handle...so sorry. Second, take care of yourself. You are right, it is very hard to discuss or even talk briefly about you little victories of your weight loss journey to those who are not "in it", This is exactly why I joined MFP. This is your safe place, as it is mine. No judging, you only share what you want, and we support each other on our paths to good health. Welcome!!
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Feel free to ad me. The first step is the hardest!

Have you considered Hypnotherapy to deal with your losses? I would highly recommend it. Often (more often than not) our bodies uses weight as a means of protecting ourselves from pain. When you combine this, the pain you've been through as well as how comforting food is you have deadly combination. If you'd like more information please feel free to message me.

Good luck with your goals, I'd be happy to encourage you along your way!

Patty
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ... Secondly I want to say is you have come to the right place. I started on here June 3rd and am already down 17 lbs. Just tracking what i eat daily and of course exercising. But this site makes you accountable. The biggest thing to remember and it has worked with me is that 1 bad meal does not have to mean the next meal has to be bad.

I am also sorry for your losses….that must be very hard.
    As for joining MFP , I second all of this^^! I find this site helpful, entertaining and sometimes ridiculous – but it has kept my focus, made me more accountable and I’m making better choices. As a result I’ve lost about 25 lbs since March. I too used to keep my weight loss to myself but I found I would soon lose motivation with only myself as a cheerleader, so this time I have decided to open up a bit - and it’s a little more fun! Feel free to add me if you like - Good luck to you!
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome :flowerforyou:

I am very sorry about your losses. :frown:
    Please feel free to add me if you like.
    I am active here every day :-)
  • jcortrightreeping
    jcortrightreeping Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • carisone
    carisone Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your losses, please feel free to add me, I am on here everyday :)