Am i too fat for the gym

Options

Replies

• goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any serious medical conditions that keep you from working out, there shouldn't be any reason why you shouldn't join. I totally respect people who are new because it takes a lot of motivation to start, and I'm sure most other people feel the same way.
  • MSLUC
    MSLUC Posts: 30
    Options
    Suggest a Doctors visit before starting a gym regimen. Also consultation with a nutritionist. They will help you set reasonable goals, and PROPER exercise expectations. Exercise without food knowledge is usually wasted effort.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    You can call and ask what max weight is for things like the treadmill or elliptical. Some do support 300+ lbs.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else.

A good gym will have commercial grade equipment with much higher weight limits than general home equipment. 350-400 is pretty standard stuff for ellipticals and bikes.

Good luck.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about your gym situation over there in your neck of the woods. The place I go to is a chain across all of america. They use the same brand for all their treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, etc. The brand of this equipment is called "Life Fitness". You can probably reach out to an owner or manager and ask if the equipment is heavy duty. Most of the machines have a weight restriction written on them--usually on the front panel or the side of it. I've been on my fair share of both crappy and great treadmills.

My heaviest weight has been 354 pounds, and I can say there is definitely a 100% chance of you being able to find a treadmill to cater to your weight.

From my own personal experiences i've been to places that had treadmills so crappy that I could barely walk on them without the traction belt catching and making me nearly face plant into the front panel. Then there were the heavy-duty and higher quality ones at the chain gym that I was able to fully set at an incline or decline with no problems at all with the belt catching or stopping up, and I've also ran at speeds of 10mph pretty frequently on them. And again I am well over 300 pounds, and was over 350 pounds when doing this. So you can definitely find it, I just hope there are some conveniently available for you.

Good luck
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely take a tour of your gym before you sign up and ask them what the weight limits are on the different machines. In fact, do that for SURE before you sign anything or put down any money. You should feel comfortable going there. If you don't, it's not the gym for you - go ahead and tour the next one until you like what you find.

Good luck! Keep riding that bike! You're doing a great thing! :)

truth
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Nope, go for it! (But referring to the weather as "bipolar" is a little jarring to someone who actually has the disorder... I know it was an innocent turn of phrase but it's kind of like calling something wild "schizophrenic.")
  • mtyler7718
    mtyler7718 Posts: 24
    Options
    Weather has been so bipolar here in the Netherlands and I really am focusing the next year on getting me in shape.
    I am currently at 378 pounds but I am scared that nothing will support me at the gym so I am scared to go..
    I ride my bike everyday but i just dont feel its enough , i want to start really hitting it up in the gym at least 2 hours.

HELP:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

At my heaviest weight, I weighed 275 lbs (I weight 205 now--but I lost most of that a long time ago and more and put on 35 - 40 lbs in the last 10 years or so. I felt like you did when I was at my heaviest--afraid and embarrassed to go. Worried that the machine might break and that people would laugh at me. What I found was the opposite. Most people really are impressed with anyone who wants to get healthy--regardless of how big you are. I found people really were supportive and they cheered me on as I lost more and more weight. They became a great support system for me.

I agree with the poster who said that you should visit several gyms and go on free tours. You should be able to get a feel for the people/attitudes if you do that. But don't let fear ever hold you back. There is not a human alive who hasn't struggled with something in her or his life. You are most definitely not alone and I'm sure you will find (as I did) that you aren't the biggest or smallest person there! :) Good luck!

Melinda
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started at my gym at 6 foot 1 and 420 pounds and EVERYTHING held my weight, yes, even the treadmills. That said, I found the stationary bikes uncomfortable to sit on, the recumbents are better. Now Im not saying this to be mean, but to be helpful to you.....
    You are not a special snowflake, no one is going to sit there and laugh at you, judge you and make fun of you.....why? In this day and age, people are waaaaay to wrapped up in themselves and THEIR workouts to give much thought to you and what YOU are doing. I have found that most people in the gym are either listening to music, watching tv or looking at themselves in the mirror and are oblivious to much else. Now stop worrying about what anyone will think( cause they wont) get into that gym and GET TO WORK!!!!!! EIther get busy living or get busy dying..... the excuses are over. GOOD LUCK
  • roebuckkathy
    Options
    That is pretty close to what I weighed when I started going....it is important to find one where you feel comfortable going or there is just the chance you will pay to join but not go because you feel judged. I fouled a smaller one near my house where everyone is focused on getting healthier and watching others and making comments. Sad to say but there are ones where this happens. Shop around like you are buying a car! Most people are there to do the same as you are and are very supportive . Best of wishes on finding one that fits you!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The weight limit on the treadmills at my gym are 400lbs. The bikes are probably even higher. There is guy that comes into my gym that has to weigh over 400lbs...he uses the bike.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I started at 375 and started by riding the recumbent bike, just get there and do it.
  • Javimavi
    Javimavi Posts: 33
    Options
    Sometimes the biggest source of inspiration comes from the person you see in the mirror everyday. Look yourself in the face and remember you ARE worth it!
  • gottigirl4life
    Options
    A good gym should be able to accommodate and should make every client feel welcome. When I started, I went with a personal trainer, and picked the times I went, when I thought that most of the people that would be "fit" would not be there.

I also loved having my trainer, it made me feel better, because I was forced to focus on what they were saying, instead of looking at what other people were doing.
  • gottigirl4life
    Options
    Sometimes the biggest source of inspiration comes from the person you see in the mirror everyday. Look yourself in the face and remember you ARE worth it!

This is EXCELLENT ADVICE !!!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My bench at home supports up to 1500 pounds - I suspect commercial gym benches will be on par. I suspect it will be some time before you're benching 1100 pounds. :wink: In short, the weight section is always available to you (and is always a good idea!).
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not to big for the gym. I have noticed most gyms have a span of small and big people. You will not be the biggest or the smallest. All the regulars, wherever you go will respect you for being there and taking care of yourself.

My biggest fear was getting in the pool after 38 years. I am short and I looked really bad in a speedo! I purchased a one piece aquatard. It has long legs, mid thigh, and covers everything. My first day my goal was just to change, get in the pool and get comfortable. That was last January. I now swim 80 laps four or five times a week. There are some big people that swim, you can work out and it's easier on your joints. My scale hasn't moved so much....that's why I am here at MFP. My BP has normalized. (From 153/110 to 110/80) so that's a plus.
    Don't worry. Ask your questions and when you find a gym.....go for it!!!!!!!

All the best wishes and luck to you in this journey.
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No you are not to heavy I used to be the "big" girl at my old gym

I shook my big ol butt until it looks like this <--- see profile pics

WOAH YOU LOOK AMAZING!
    wtg!
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!

I signed up for a 7 day free trial
    and on Monday I have a appointment!

Its the best gym around here.

its like the life fitness in america.
    I loved the gyms back in Texas. Just never been to one here :D

Thank you all!
    And yea, if the gym is of good quality they should have supporting machines for larger weights.
    I just remember my moms would Always make noise if i even lifted a toe on it.
    but than i saw it had a 250 ibs limit on it and i beat that 100 plus

Thanks all
  • Pauljsmith
    Pauljsmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You r never too fat to start somewhere. Just go who cares what u look like. You are doing it for you. Enjoy your journey