Going gluten free?

Options
steephx0x
steephx0x Posts: 47 Member
Hello everyone. I am about 10 pounds from my goal and I was just informed by my doctor that I may have celiac disease. I am still gunna have a few more tests to confirm it, but I want to be prepared if I am. I just need some advice and tips on going gluten free without wrecking my diet and weight loss so far.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you supposed to stay on Gluten until after the tests?
  • x3Amy
    x3Amy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just recently realised I was gluten intolerant too! no biggie though I promise.. just stick to what you've already been doing diet wise, use fresh meat and vegetables (not processed/breadcrumbed/battered) & there's a huge variety of gluten free foods available (breads/cereals/porridge), and i know i certainly get tempted when i see the gluten free shortbread eyeing my from the shelf...but if i wouldn't have eaten the shortbread on my normal diet, then it doesn't get put in to the basket :)
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Read the Wheat Belly book by William Davis MD. I found it to be very informative.
  • steephx0x
    Options
    Are you supposed to stay on Gluten until after the tests?

Yes, my doctor said eat what I would normally eat before the tests because switching diets could mask the intorlerance
  • steephx0x
    Options
    I just recently realised I was gluten intolerant too! no biggie though I promise.. just stick to what you've already been doing diet wise, use fresh meat and vegetables (not processed/breadcrumbed/battered) & there's a huge variety of gluten free foods available (breads/cereals/porridge), and i know i certainly get tempted when i see the gluten free shortbread eyeing my from the shelf...but if i wouldn't have eaten the shortbread on my normal diet, then it doesn't get put in to the basket :)

Does the pasta and cereal taste different? My favorite foods are mini wheats and oatmeal :/
  • purple357
    purple357 Posts: 4
    Options
    Read the Wheat Belly book by William Davis MD. I found it to be very informative.

Is that meant for people with gluten intolerance, or is he just against wheat altogether?
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My Daughter was just tested for it. She was negative. No reason to cut out gluten if you are negative. If you are positive the gluten should be upsetting your stomach now regardless of the test.
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Is that meant for people with gluten intolerance, or is he just against wheat altogether?

It's for gluten intolerance. Another good book to read is "Grain Brain" by Dr. Perlmutter. There is a ton of info on not just Celiac but gluten sensitivity in general. www.drperlmutter.com
    Also, watch out for foods you wouldn't normally think contain gluten.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Does the pasta and cereal taste different? My favorite foods are mini wheats and oatmeal :/

Tinkyada brand pasta is a pretty good drop in replacement for pasta. Oatmeal is relatively easy to find. Never went looking for a mini-wheat sub but I highly doubt you could find one you would like. Lots of other cereals are available though, chex, rice crispies, "some" cheerios etc...
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Rice Chex is GF. So are Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshoppin1/tp/Gluten-Free-Cold-Cereals-Include-High-Fiber-Fruit-Flavored-Options.htm

The pasta replacements are "close" but not really. I depends on your tastes.
  • steephx0x
    Options
    My Daughter was just tested for it. She was negative. No reason to cut out gluten if you are negative. If you are positive the gluten should be upsetting your stomach now regardless of the test.

My stomach is upset and I'm waiting for the test to confirm that it's a gluten intolerance and not something else
  • steephx0x
    Options
    My father is a confirmed Celiac and I have just recently given up gluten for good 8 days ago. My overall well being has vastly improved and I shed 5 pounds in a week. I believe my diary is open so take a look at how much I eat - no hunger here! Along with jump starting my weight loss, my mood has improved, my skin is clear and my sleep has changed for the better. A warning though, do not replace gluten with gluten free processed replacements as this is where you will see significant weight gain.

Did you find that gluten free groceries are more expensive?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    A warning though, do not replace gluten with gluten free processed replacements as this is where you will see significant weight gain.
    Did you read what he wrote? You shouldn't be shopping for 'gluten free groceries', you should be replacing all that stuff you used to eat containing gluten with actual meats, veggies, etc. ... not hybrid rice/tapioca/potato starch fake flours.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    A warning though, do not replace gluten with gluten free processed replacements as this is where you will see significant weight gain.
    Did you read what he wrote? You shouldn't be shopping for 'gluten free groceries', you should be replacing all that stuff you used to eat containing gluten with actual meats, veggies, etc. ... not hybrid rice/tapioca/potato starch fake flours.

Give up sandwich bread, pizza, pasta.

You can still eat potatoes and rice.
  • steephx0x
    Options

Well I am going to have to make some "hybrid" replacements such as pasta and bread. I really do not like meat and only eat chicken occasionally. I already eat fruit and I'm not big on vegetables either.
  • MrsBryant923
    MrsBryant923 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Most unprocessed foods like lean meats, veggies and fruit are naturally gluten free. Just eat more real food and you'll be fine.
  • ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options

^ this
  • steephx0x
    Options

^ this

I'm not much of a meat eater; if I eat meat at all it's chicken. As someone who is Italian and loves pasta and bread, I can't just cut it out of my diet. I'm also the only GF member of my family and although the benefits are high, my parents can't afford two sets of groceries. If they can find GF substitutes that we both can eat (ex. GF pasta) that would be better. I really don't like meat at all and it will probably end up becoming vegetarian in the near future.