BMR confusion

Options
I'm really confused with BMR and mentaining weight.

My BMR is 1658.1, now I'm supposed to multiply it by one of these numbers according to this:

Little to no exercise= 1.2
Light exercise (1-3 times per week) = 1.375
Moderate (3-5 times per week) = 1.55
Heavy (6-7 times per week) = 1.725

So lets say, I exercise every day from monday to saturday and spend whole sunday being a couch potato and eating, would I burn 1658, 2000 or 2570 (i put myself in moderate) calories?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is meant to be averaged over the week. If you picked moderate, you wouldn't burn 2000 calories on Sunday, but then again, during the week, you would probably burn slightly more than 2000.

In the end, this is all just an estimate. You pick one number, try it consistently for several weeks (more than 3 or 4) then evaluate from there. You may need to adjust up or down. Just make sure you are tracking trends over a number of weeks
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    BMR is not-moving, total resting metabolism. So if you ate that many calories (and you're sure the calculation is correct) and didn't move AT ALL all day, that's what you would burn. No gains, no loss. If you did any sort of activity it will burn some calories (get up and walk around the house a bit, grocery shopping, etc). So you'll burn a little more calories than your BMR. If you do some actual exercise, then you'll burn a lot more calories than your BMR. IF you are running around all day, non-stop movement, you will burn a ton more calories than your BMR! That's what the different numbers represent.

It is different every day, so it's best to choose an activity factor that is the average.
  • Chelsarrr
    Options
    If you aren't sure, pick one in the middle, and adjust in a couple weeks!
  • Cookie0405
    Cookie0405 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So, according to the scale, if I exercised every day a week, I would burn about 2860 calories a day??
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    So, according to the scale, if I exercised every day a week, I would burn about 2860 calories a day??

According to what scale?
  • Cookie0405
    Options

this one
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

this one

I think you are overcomplicating things and thinking about this the wrong way. Do you work out 7 days a week?
    What you are doing matters as well. Walking 6-7 days a week may not be considered as "heavy" even it if is exercising 7 days a week.

Look at it this way, if you were sedentary, you would be burning around 1989 calories a day according to that formula. So if you choose heavy activity, and are supposed to be burning 2900 calories a day, that is almost 1000 calories a day extra in exercise. Are you doing that much activity?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    BMR is a huge generalization. if you happen to have the exact average amount of body fat and lean muscle, the online calculators would be correct. me, i'm under on lean muscle and over on fat, and when i eat the amount most online calcs suggest is my BMR, i actually gain weight.

btw, if you walk up steep hills, it could be considered heavy. most online calorie calculators only consider speed, but intensity counts.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    what;s your job? That affects your daily activity

OP: you're not going to get the correct TDEE the first time you estimate. Just pick a number that's close, e.g. if you're on your feet all day at work and in the gym each evening, you're probably moderately active. If you're on the sofa and not doing much at the weekend, then you're sedentary at the weekend, so multiply it by a number that's between moderately active and sedentary, ... maybe 1.4 is a good number to pick

.......take that as a starting point, eat that number of calories for two weeks and see what happens (note: with this way of calculating you *don't* eat back exercise calories because they're already included in the activity factor).... if you're constantly hungry then you can try adding 100-200 cals to that and see if that fixes it.... if you don't lose anything in those two weeks then subtract 250 cals from the number and try again. If you're losing, but it's a bit slower than optimum, you can subtract 100-200 cals/day and see how that goes (although you don't have to, if you want to take the fat loss more slowly that's fine)........ a calculator can never tell you exactly how much you're burning, it can only give you an estimate which based on averages.... this gives you a reasonable starting point but you still have to adjust it based on your real world results because most people are not totally average (that said if the results suggest your BMR is very different than predicted this could be a sign of a medical issue). (optimal fat loss is usually 1-2lb a week.... if you are extremely obese you can maybe lose 2-3lb a week. If you only have around 10lb or less to lose then 0.5lb/week is better.)
  • Chelsarrr
    Options
    you would burn 2800+ a day if you were working out like a full time athlete 6-7 days a week with cardio sessions in-between! But if you're being generally active 6-7 days a week, you should use a multiplier somewhere in the middle. You can always adjust it later!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I doubt it because on a sedentary day you might burn around 2000 (1660bmr x 1.2 for sedentary) so your workout would have to burn over 800 calories (2860-2000). Unless you're very obese, that's going to take you a couple hours.
  • Cookie0405
    Options
    My problem is I'm trying to lose 1kg(ish) a week, and i have no idea how many calories i need to burn exerciseing
    I'm eating 1200 calories a day.
  • XLMACX
    XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Use a TDEE calculator it's a lot more simple and easier

Type in fitness frog tdee in google, then type in your height, weight, age sex, it then asks how often you work out

1-3 times week
    3-5 times a week
    7 days a week

Select the one your work out option, it gives you a set amount of calories to MAINTAIN your weight so then -500 calories, -500x7= -3500 calories result 1lb weight loss per week.
    X
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    My problem is I'm trying to lose 1kg(ish) a week, and i have no idea how many calories i need to burn exerciseing

Your ticker says you have 15kgs left to lose. If that is the case, 1kg a week is too high of a goal for you. With about 15kg/30lbs to go, your goal should be around .5kg a week/1lb, or about 20% off your TDEE.

Again, the idea of exercising enough to lose the weight is the wrong way to go about it. Exercise is good, yes, but exercising to achieve a calorie deficit can be very problematic, espeically when you are doing excess. Diet and exercise is supposed to be something you can maintain long term. You set youself up for burn out. Plus, once you reach your goal, it makes it very difficult to shift into maintainance if this is not the excessive exercise isn't part of your normal routine.

Check out this link
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1200 and burning around 2000 (before exercise), if your estimates are pretty good of how much you eat and burn (which is rare), then you should lose nearly 1kg a week (about .7). In theory, you'd need to burn about 300 more a day in exercise to hit 1kg/week. Though it never really works out just like the estimates, or even close often. There are tons of factors that figure in including water weight and measurement error.

Your best bet is to just do what you can as far as diet and exercise and see what happens. If after a month, your results are slower than you expect, exercise more or adjust your expectations.
  • Cookie0405
    Options
    If you're eating 1200 and burning around 2000 (before exercise), if your estimates are pretty good of how much you eat and burn (which is rare), then you should lose nearly 1kg a week (about .7). In theory, you'd need to burn about 300 more a day in exercise to hit 1kg/week. Though it never really works out just like the estimates, or even close often. There are tons of factors that figure in including water weight and measurement error.

Your best bet is to just do what you can as far as diet and exercise and see what happens. If after a month, your results are slower than you expect, exercise more or adjust your expectations.
    Wow, that really helped!
    I think I my estimates are good, i weight everything before i eat it.
    I will try that, around 1kg a week would be just perfect.