Sort of not really new here!

Options
I can't say I'm new here. I've used MFP under many accounts before, unfortunately after a while I always gave up on my diets. I would lose 20 lbs be happy for a while and stop using MFP just so that months later I would gain back the weight.

So here I am today. After trying to diet 3 times, I am determined. I've never posted in the message boards before, a promise to myself that I will do this, and I will maintain my weight once I get to my goal.

My only problem is...how? I'm in serious need of some veteran weight loss buddies, or newbies with tips and tricks.

Something I really need help with is my calorie count. I'm never hungry and I always end the day way way wayyyyy under! not healthy and totally counter productive to my weight loss! but I've been so used to eating 1,000 calories a day I don't know how to get in an extra 2-400 calories in without eating junk processed foods.

Also cutting down on carbs. I don't want to low carb diet because of the yo-yo effect, but I'm cutting down my carbs from 160g's to a healthy 105g's.(smart?)

I need some people to really tell me how to diet.

Current weight: 152.5
Goal weight: 128

Replies

• ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'd suggest starting here with how to eat healthily:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It's all good stuff.

My issue with diets was that they were diets. I found looking at it as a lifestyle change rather than a temporary period of restriction has helped me so far. I don't deprive myself if it fits into my daily macros as per the above thread and it's working for me.
    Logging everything you eat, accurately, is the key to success so weigh everything. I can't imagine how you haven't lost any weight at all if you only eat 1000 calories a day so it may be that you are underestimating what you consume, obviously I can't really say because I don't know but have a good read of the above thread and the links in it, it's really good stuff. :)
  • mgpearce4
    mgpearce4 Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm a second-timer myself. Feel free to add me. I'm on here all the time. I am about 30 pounds to go on my goal. I WILL motivate you!
  • nympxzie
    nympxzie Posts: 4
    Options
    Logging everything you eat, accurately, is the key to success so weigh everything. I can't imagine how you haven't lost any weight at all if you only eat 1000 calories a day so it may be that you are underestimating what you consume, obviously I can't really say because I don't know but have a good read of the above thread and the links in it, it's really good stuff. :)

I think most of my problem is not logging properly especially after reading the link you sent me. I'm going to start using cooking oils as opposed to butter to cut down some of those mistakes however I should really be more careful with how I track.

It isn't that I'm not losing weight it's that I lose it (fairly slowly for that matter) but rebound months later. I'l just think of it as a life decision like you said. Thank you so much :)
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No worries, I've been bouncing up down with weight for a few year myself but have now got myself in a slow, steady decline on the scales and have changed my eating habits to accommodate it. I still have the odd takeaway but one meal won't ruin everything as long as it's not a regular thing.
    Losing weight slowly is the best way, if you lose it quickly and then see it slow down it can't be demotivating. If your weight goes up for a week it might just be water as well so don't stress, think long term and it'll all be good. :)
    Feel free to add me if you want someone to remind you when it gets hard.
    Eat well, lift heavy things and it'll all work out.
  • ricer8
    ricer8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started in January -- you know start the New Year off right. I'm doing pretty well, but about to go on a big family vacation for a week. Not sure how to handle not being in total control of what is being cooked, and having to eat at restaurants more often. I found a few apps that give calories for most chains, but not sure how many big chain places we'll actually be going too.

Guess I just have to keep reminding myself --- I'm on a mission, I'm on a mission.
  • nympxzie
    nympxzie Posts: 4
    Options
    Good luck! You're doing really well, I'm sure you already know but most restaurants have lo-cal meals, and other healthy options. If you aren't feeling confident about the family coked meals you can always eat a smaller portion and snack on some salad later to avoid all the fat a full meal would bring (assuming they are making something no-so healthy). Once again good luck and have fun!
  • ricer8
    ricer8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I try to research before heading out to a restaurant and if I can avoid the bread I'm off to a good start! :)
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you're having problems logging the foods you consume and where to begin, i highly suggest checking these links out along with the other link that has been provided.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Best of Luck to You! :flowerforyou:
  • kickanddown
    kickanddown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome back.... again! This is also my second time around.

Maybe this is just me, but I have a hard time with the word "diet." If you are "on a diet" it kind of implies that at some point you will be OFF of your diet. And this is where everything goes wrong for me, because I'm not on a diet any more, what rules?! This time around I'm changing how I eat, not just going on a diet!