Protein bars/shakes...Needed?!

Options
Hey!
I done a 5k run not long ago and in the end pack, they included a protein bar which I ate today after the gym. But what i was wanted to know is whether the protein bar is necessary?
What are the benefits? I've been told that if you eat them or drink them, and don't work out you become fat. Or look fat.

Replies

• urnewbuddee
    urnewbuddee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    here is a link to a website that explains the benefits of protein intake: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/benefits-protein
  • Jacpin
    Jacpin Posts: 17
    Options
    A friend of mine was a trainer, he told me that you are better off with a shake. The bars have more sugar, sodium, and calories.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    They're simply a convenient way for people to consume protein after a workout. If you do strength training, it is important to consume protein and carbs as soon after a workout as possible to allow your muscles to repair themselves (whether it's a bar, shake or actual food like a chicken sandwich or some chocolate milk). If you do strictly cardio for your workouts, and consume enough protein daily in your regular diet, then you really don't need any additional supplementation. As with any food, you'll gain weight if you eat too much, but you won't gain weight just because you ate them without working out.