Just Need Good Advice

Options
I started to try to gain some strength and muscle time after my weight loss. I lost about 10 more lbs than I wanted so I thought I'd try to get that back in muscle and go from there. I actually was happy with my look at 138lbs but people told me I was starting to look too thin (which I didn't really see) and that I should gain a little. So I basically just added in a whey protei shake with almond milk essentially. I have gone up the past few weeks around 2-3lbs. I am already noticing awesome progress in the gym as I can lift about 20lbs more in bench and about 10 more lbs on squats than I ever could when I wasn't taking the whey. However, today someone told me they were "happy I was putting some weight back on". Although I didn't notice any weight gain as of yet...I'm not against the comment at all but it got me thinking about how I'm gonna notice when too much is too much if I'm not noticing that I look different already! So does anyone know when is a good time for me to stop active weight gain and move to maintenance? Should I just continue until weight gain tails off? I just don't want to find myself back 40lbs overweight again but also don't want to worry myself too much about my weight (I barely weigh myself as it is).

This may sound a little convolute but I just can't stand people commenting on my look anymore. Although I was happy with my look, people commented that I was "too thin". Meanwhile, my nutritionist said I was fine. Now I am trying to gain muscle and people are saying I'm gaining weight already but all my clothing fits the same and I see NO difference despite a 2lb gain. If I honestly not notice these changes to my body, how am I supposed to find a good maintenance weight goin forward?

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Just keep adding muscle. There are no disadvantages to more muscle unless you're a marathoner or something of that nature. Add muscle, cut fat. Repeat.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I started to try to gain some strength and muscle time after my weight loss. I lost about 10 more lbs than I wanted so I thought I'd try to get that back in muscle and go from there. I actually was happy with my look at 138lbs but people told me I was starting to look too thin (which I didn't really see) and that I should gain a little. So I basically just added in a whey protei shake with almond milk essentially. I have gone up the past few weeks around 2-3lbs. I am already noticing awesome progress in the gym as I can lift about 20lbs more in bench and about 10 more lbs on squats than I ever could when I wasn't taking the whey. However, today someone told me they were "happy I was putting some weight back on". Although I didn't notice any weight gain as of yet...I'm not against the comment at all but it got me thinking about how I'm gonna notice when too much is too much if I'm not noticing that I look different already! So does anyone know when is a good time for me to stop active weight gain and move to maintenance? Should I just continue until weight gain tails off? I just don't want to find myself back 40lbs overweight again but also don't want to worry myself too much about my weight (I barely weigh myself as it is).

This may sound a little convolute but I just can't stand people commenting on my look anymore. Although I was happy with my look, people commented that I was "too thin". Meanwhile, my nutritionist said I was fine. Now I am trying to gain muscle and people are saying I'm gaining weight already but all my clothing fits the same and I see NO difference despite a 2lb gain. If I honestly not notice these changes to my body, how am I supposed to find a good maintenance weight goin forward?

Why do you care so much what other people think about your body? The most important is you and your wife/girlfriend are happy with your body.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Just keep adding muscle. There are no disadvantages to more muscle unless you're a marathoner or something of that nature. Add muscle, cut fat. Repeat.

Is a cut always essential? My two brothers never cut, they just added muscle. I had a fried who gained a lot of muscle who neither bulked nor cut just upped protein and naturally gained muscle over time until it leveled. If a cut isnt necessary, how do I know when to cut?
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    'If you think that your body looks great and awesome, you don't need to change! Don't change for other people they are just clueless and ignorant
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Is a cut always essential? My two brothers never cut, they just added muscle. I had a fried who gained a lot of muscle who neither bulked nor cut just upped protein and naturally gained muscle over time until it leveled. If a cut isnt necessary, how do I know when to cut?

If you are adding muscle/weight slowly with basically no fat, no you don't need a cut. You're sacrificing muscle gains for the slow bulk, but if that's how you want to go at it, that's your prerogative.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Wear earplugs or sweatshirts and just keep doing your thing.