Will I lose weight with this regimen?

Options
I'm 5' 0" I currently weigh 158 pounds. My current routine is eating 1300 calories a day. For exercise I run on my elliptical for 40 minutes daily burning about 327 calories each day. At this rate how much should I expect to lose within a 6 month time frame? I'd love to lose 40 pounds by the beginning of 2015. How realistic is this goal. I feel like I've gotten no where! Also note that I usually don't eat back all of my extra calories from exercise. Any tips, tricks, or suggestions? Thank you I welcome any positive motivating advice!:happy:

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Read these links. They should help you make a plan for eating/exercise that will help you reach your goal. When? Well, weight loss never happens exactly as we would expect. 40 pound in 6 months might be too aggressive - especially as you get down to the last 20 pounds.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Get started and see how it goes! Most of us end up having to change our plan or our expectations along the way as we figure out what is going to work for us. Eventually, because you are not especially tall, the 1300 calories might end up being pretty close to what your body needs to maintain weight rather than lose it so that's something that will likely move over time.

The only other advice I really have is try and see if there's anything you like doing besides just the elliptical for a bit of exercise. Joining a softball team, taking up running, martial arts, bike riding or whatever might burn a few extra calories a week and keep you from getting burnt out doing the same thing on the elliptical every day. I was forcing myself to stay in the gym for an hour to burn some calories but found if I hopped on my bike I would burn more as I enjoyed a nice ride around the local bike trails for a few hours.

If you stick to the exercise part especially the weight will matter less and less because you'll be active and feel great. I still have plenty to lose but I'm not a lazy fat guy anymore and it turns out it was the lazy part I liked least about my weight.

Best of luck to you!
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard the weight loss train!!!! I believe if you stick to your new eating habits 40 pounds in three months is realistic. good luck.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sorry six months
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 0" I currently weigh 158 pounds. My current routine is eating 1300 calories a day. For exercise I run on my elliptical for 40 minutes daily burning about 327 calories each day. At this rate how much should I expect to lose within a 6 month time frame? I'd love to lose 40 pounds by the beginning of 2015. How realistic is this goal. I feel like I've gotten no where! Also note that I usually don't eat back all of my extra calories from exercise. Any tips, tricks, or suggestions? Thank you I welcome any positive motivating advice!:happy:
    You may find you're best served by eating back your exercise calories, as MFP recommends. 1300 is a pretty tight calorie budget, and dipping too low could well impact lean body mass.

Best of luck in meeting your goals.
  • rubybrown145
    Options
    I saw a dietitian because I wasn't loosing and she told me not to count my exercise. She said to keep doing it, but to stay with 1400 calories no matter how much exercise I do. The rate at which you loose depends on your age and how heavy you are. Since you aren't that much overweight, you will loose a little slower than those who are obese. You may want to consider kicking your calorie intake up to 1400 because if you eat too few calories your metabolism slows down. You should be able to loose 40 lbs. by 2015. Just don't get discouraged and take it slow. The key is to stay balanced and get your exercise in.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Get started and see how it goes! Most of us end up having to change our plan or our expectations along the way as we figure out what is going to work for us. Eventually, because you are not especially tall, the 1300 calories might end up being pretty close to what your body needs to maintain weight rather than lose it so that's something that will likely move over time.

The only other advice I really have is try and see if there's anything you like doing besides just the elliptical for a bit of exercise. Joining a softball team, taking up running, martial arts, bike riding or whatever might burn a few extra calories a week and keep you from getting burnt out doing the same thing on the elliptical every day. I was forcing myself to stay in the gym for an hour to burn some calories but found if I hopped on my bike I would burn more as I enjoyed a nice ride around the local bike trails for a few hours.

If you stick to the exercise part especially the weight will matter less and less because you'll be active and feel great. I still have plenty to lose but I'm not a lazy fat guy anymore and it turns out it was the lazy part I liked least about my weight.

Best of luck to you!

Excellent advice!