Are any of you as frustrated about online dating as I am?

Options
jjscholar
jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
Is is just me or do any of you feel that online dating is more of a pain than meeting people in traditional ways?

I have to admit that I am not great at the online dating thing.

Replies

• bmtelle
    bmtelle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not just you.
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    AMEN! I joined two dating sites and one of them I quit after two days. The other I've been on for a little over a year and only been on one date and that date was a dud for the most part.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Such bad experiences online dating, mainly old men or sleazes like me, no actually fairly normal acting people respond to me, probably cos of my look. So I have been single 7 years, not one date. I haven't been dated in my lifetime, I think it's just where I live too Culturally speaking. Also in NZ the men keep going overseas and marrying foreigners and women go overseas and come back single we out number the men 3 to 1 here. Fun times haha
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    well, CharleePear, you'd better believe you are stunning, &

when you want to find the right guy, sure you will! dates can be fun!!

So can going out!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I found them a total waste of money. Older guys only looking for young women, totally out of my geographic area (like Iowa - no offense), totally too young guys looking for "cougars." Idiots! I only went out with three guys. One never called back. One was a self-admitted couch potato and kept telling me that all evening. One would call me at 5:30pm to go out that evening, and was broke from supporting two kids in college.
  • jleui
    jleui Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of online dating but I met the man of my life on OkCupid in January. :) You might like this TED talk from a girl who was also frustrated with online dating : https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_webb_how_i_hacked_online_dating
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    It can be a breeding ground for fakes and creeps, just like with anything that's "online".
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had a terrible time with that. Then I decided I was happy being by myself and focused on enjoying my life and making it great. Just a couple months after I had quit looking, I met a guy (on myspace, of all things) who was also not looking for a relationship. We went out a couple of times, as "friends" and within a few weeks we knew we would be together forever. After a long engagement, we've been married 5 years now.
  • vickee13
    vickee13 Posts: 31
    Options
    I had a mixed experience, some weirdos but it all ended good. So pleased I didn't give up after the first month or so, I got my happy ending! They aren't all weirdos thankfully :bigsmile: 9 years later wouldn't have done anything differently. :love:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of online dating but I met the man of my life on OkCupid in January. :) You might like this TED talk from a girl who was also frustrated with online dating : https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_webb_how_i_hacked_online_dating

Great video. I never watched a TED talk before. I'm going to take another look at my profile.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Back when I was 20 I decided to make a profile on a dating site which included the option "looking for friends". I was looking for a buddy to hang out with and play games, and made that very clear on my profile. I got two messages, one from a 60 something man who asked if I was willing to perform certain sexual acts, and one from a girl who could not stop talking about her ex and the drama that surrounded it. Needless to say I deactivated my profiler, and that was the last time I ever used a website dedicated to matching people.

In reality, this whole dating concept is foreign to me. It's like an "interview for a boyfriend". All of my relationships were just friendships that grew to become more than that.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    OMG I can't believe even guys my age just want to have sex. I am so mad! I'm trying meetup groups but I find most of the people are in their 20's or 30's. It's good though cuz it gets me out of the house. I tried OKCupid and was thinking of paying for another site but reading the reviews it's the same. Guess I'm doomed to not have a man. At least I have my dog. I also wrote in my ad looking for activity partner. I would like to write NOT INTERESTED IN SEX. LOL
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had LOADS of trouble with online dating. I took a break from it for a while because everyone i seemed to meet were asshats. Then back in 2010 i though 'why not give it a go' went on Match and Eharmony and guess what it told me 'sorry their is no one who matches you in your area' that was a massive confidence boost ¬_¬ (can you tell that was sarcastic) but i just kept going and i did meet someone and now we are married. I know a lot of people it has worked for (most of my friend found their partners at OkCupid) but i also know a lot of people who have had no luck with it. Hope you have better luck soon x
  • Gemstone290
    Options
    I have been fairly lucky in that I have not had that many 'creepy' people contact me but I agree it can be super frustrating.

I have been on a dating site for over a year and while I find the site quite good at making it easier to avoid the creeps it is frustrating when it doesn't go anywhere. At first I went on a few dates with some nice people but there just wasn't an attraction there which was fair enough but now nothing... All of the guys I might be interested in are not interested in me and vise versa. I find it very difficult meeting people "in the real world" so yeah I totally agree with you all.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I hate online dating. For some reason, I have fairly normal conversations with decent looking guys for about a week and then they decide it is time to send me a junk pic :huh:
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'll attempt it after I reach my goal weight. I'm not one to talk to strangers or go to the bar or even hang with a group of friends so dating or even a date is rare.

How ever I will read about what other people are eating and what their workouts have been. I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as a weirdo from the internet.
  • newmesally
    Options
    I was on a few site after my divorce as I never went anywhere. Met some right weirdos but here I am 4 years later married again to an amazing guy stick with it they aren't all bad
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    online setting makes people feel braver to speak to me

in public no one speaks to me (which is okay i give off a stay the fvck away from me vibe I know) unless its the cat callling bullsh!t

online dating is interesting and the two people I have met because of it make it worth it
  • SimplyMandee
    SimplyMandee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    online dating SUCKS.