BBQ- Famous Davids... option for healthy choices

Options
I am going out with my family for my brother's birthday celebration. I love BBQ and it looks hard to meet my daily calories goal and still enjoy myself for the celebration. Any suggestion.... ?

Replies

• coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that particular place but go for lean meat (chicken) with as little sauce all over it as possible. Then you can have some fries/ salad with it and not be too bad. Remember that it's okay to not eat the whole portion you're given. It's a special occasion- you didn't gain weight because of one birthday party so just go and enjoy yourself.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Lol, Famous -Dave's-.

In all honesty, I would just go and enjoy. Only have one carb/starch, eat lots of meat, have some veggies. The brisket is amazing, and so are the hot links.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    With BBQ it's super hard to stay within your calories! But that is totally 100% okay.

Friendly reminder that vegetables at restaurants are often prepared in worse ways than the fries. For example, where I work, we add 1.5 tablespoons to every serving of vegetables.... it's gross and bizarre at a fancy restaurant. So if the meat is what you really want, eat that and avoid the sides. That way you're getting a filling meal even if you go a little over on calories. Try dry rubs as well since they have less sugar and still pack a lot of flavor!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    In all honesty,

We don't believe in that sort of thing around here.

How about some nice steamed broccoli, and dry chicken?
  • R1ss4n1
    R1ss4n1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Famous Dave's does have a lighter menu, be be aware it's only lighter compared to regular restaurant fare. That being said, their roasted chicken is pretty good, you can add BBQ sauce to it yourself, just ask the waitstaff. Firecracker green beans are tasty if you like spice, plus their seared pineapple is available for a side. (Can you tell what I usually order when I go?)

If you have the MFP app for your phone, most of their dishes are in there, though I take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Alternatively you can also check http://www.famousdaves.com/our-barbeque/nutrition-ingredients and see for yourself what will fit in your caloric goals.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for low calorie at Famous "David's" they have a chargrilled chicken sandwich, and get some Wilbur Beans as a side. It's been a while since I've been there, but you'll have to load that sandwich up with sauce and pickles because it's just a hunk of dried out chicken on a bun and completely not worth the money. Personally, I'd just do a once-in-awhile splurge and get a two meat combo, maybe a chicken quarter and the brisket, or a rib plate and bring some home for another day. The cornbread muffins are really good, but above 200cals I think, so just eat the top if you can't make it work.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    In all honesty,

Oops, I'm sorry. I totally forgot. OP, drink water with lemon in it ONLY. Anything else, even restaurant broccoli, will derail your efforts!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    In all honesty,

Oops, I'm sorry. I totally forgot. OP, drink water with lemon in it ONLY. Anything else, even restaurant broccoli, will derail your efforts!

Water + lemon = cleanse the toxins. Nice idea!
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    The cornbread muffins are really good, but above 200cals I think, so just eat the top if you can't make it work.
    It's not "Top of The Muffin TOOO YYOOOUUU!!!"
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    BBQ without a lot of sauce, is GREAT diet food. Eat until satisfied, then stop.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    With BBQ it's super hard to stay within your calories! But that is totally 100% okay.

Friendly reminder that vegetables at restaurants are often prepared in worse ways than the fries. For example, where I work, we add 1.5 tablespoons to every serving of vegetables.... it's gross and bizarre at a fancy restaurant. So if the meat is what you really want, eat that and avoid the sides. That way you're getting a filling meal even if you go a little over on calories. Try dry rubs as well since they have less sugar and still pack a lot of flavor!

I agree with the vegetables ... I've been to Famous Dave's a couple of times, and as I am recalling, their corn (on the cob) is pretty much dripping in butter/oil. You can always ask how the vegetables are prepared, but the server may not have (or give) all the details.

Try going to their website. They may have nutrition info available, so you can pick what you want in advance and know where you stand as far as calories. Don't stress being over some, like others said one day won't ruin all your efforts, but it's always helpful to know in advance what you're eating. :wink: