Eating healthy on a very tight budget.....

Options
zodan1976
zodan1976 Posts: 30 Member
Hi. I am finding it really hard to eat good foods on my budget. I have three kids and I find I am constantly putting starches on the table. I mean.....its just better on my purse to buy pasta roni (for less than a dollar) then to buy fresh green beans (for around 3 dollars) or ramen noodles? 19 cents a pack is pretty good for the purse too......But its not healthy. Anyone else have a hard time with this?

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You can buy bags of frozen veggies for $1 and frozen veggies are good.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    eggs & beans
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't know how families make it these days... food companies rarely have coupons for real unprocessed food.
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetables can get expensive. Frozen is one option and they're just as nutritious because they are frozen at their peak. This might not help you this year, but if you have room for a garden or even just a few plants on a patio you could grow some tomatoes, peppers, lettuce etc. I find this helps out a lot, in the summer anyways. Buying whatever fresh vegetables are on sale that week and working them into your meal plans rather than choosing the vegetables ahead of time can save money too.

You can get healthy, unprocessed carbs just as cheap as pasta and noodles. Things like dried beans, rice etc are very cheap, they just take a little more planning than cooking out of a box. These things are good to make batches so they're convenient to serve during the week.
  • womichel768
    Options
    I feel you girl. I am on a budget too. I have started doing a lot of couponing. but its not that hard. if you have a target in your area. they have online coupons. and then clip the coupons in sunday papers. when you link your debit card to a target card you get and extra 5 percent off and if you bring reusable grocery bags its 5 cents off. i now it doesnt seem like much but definatly adds up. also any local farmers market has way better prices on fresh fruits and veggies. i also stock up on frozen veggies when on sale they are just as good for you as fresh :) hope that helped
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is a real problem for many folks and it's why we see some families coming into the food bank who are obese. They are getting by on cheap carbs. Also, at the food bank we hand out lots of bread because its what we get a lot of many weeks. The supermarket bakeries, Panera, etc., give us all their day old bread. We'd rather give folks healthier baskets but that requires healthier donations. Luckily, as the summer wears on, the farms will be brings in more produce.

Meanwhile, aim toward dry beans and the cheaper (but very healthy) veggies like cabbage, kale, etc. To make them more potable for the kids, buy some country ham scraps or other strong tasting ham and use it as flavoring. Kids crave salty things and the ham taste will fool them into eating healthy.

When you do see something like chicken on sale, save every bone -- even the ones the kids have chewed on -- and start a bag of chicken bones, backs, necks, etc. in the freezer. When you get enough, make soup. Add beans, brown rice, and veggies like carrots, onions, and cabbage to the soup and you have good, hearty food.

Now, the kids may squabble but they'll get over it and grow up to be better eaters.

I can brainstorm ideas if you want. Just message me.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    For cheap veggies, there are a few options. If you can, grow some. Seeds are dirt cheap, gardening gets you outside and active, and it's a great learning experience for kids. Frozen are usually cheaper than fresh, and they last longer. And when you do buy fresh, buy things that are in season.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love cheapo meals. I have 4 kids, so we have to be frugal.

Buy your own flour and yeast. 6$ investment in a large yeast container and a couple bags of flour and you can make a ton of pizza dough. Pizza is a cheap, healthy meal. I use 100% whole wheat flour. You can make it cheaper by making your own sauce-- make a huge pot for about 7$ and freeze a lot of it. I worked it out once, and, for like 20$ I can make 16 pizzas (but more expensive if you don't buy the cheese in bulk and if you don't make your own sauce...but still...99 cents for store brand so its not bad)

Pasta-- again, cheap! make variations to the sauce. Oil, garlic and greens. make your own marinara and add veggies. Buy a thing of ground meat and make meatballs homemade, freeze a bunch.

Rice-- bag of brown rice is like 2$ around here, huge bag for maybe 5? frozen veggie stir fry, soups with rice as the starch, any meat with rice as the side. Spice up the rice with garlic and butter/oil/etc, or spices or make ti sticky and and do sweet n sour chicken over it.

I second the frozen veggies. Also look into canned no salt added corn. Canned tomatoes are also cheaper. BEANS!!!

grab some wraps and you have a thousand meal ideas right there. Wraps are cheap and you can stuff them with tons of things. canned corn + canned beans + canned diced tomatoes + homemade taco seasoning (or store bought) + some onion and garlic + cheese to top = awesome, cheap veggies tacos. change it up one night, add meat.

Grab some chicken breasts and pesto...serve over pasta or in wraps or over rice. make your own pesto for cheaper, switch in boneless, skinless thighs for even cheaper recipe (with a bit more fat).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    black beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans, lentils,
    egg dishes omelets, egg salad, sandwiches
    pancakes for dinner -- my favorite when I was a kid
    canned salmon, chunk light tuna
    peanut butter
    potatoes
    bananas
    cabbage
    frozen fruits and veggies
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I live alone, and I still have trouble eating well on my budget! Some of the things I rely on:

Rice (I find one serving of rice fills me up more than one serving of pasta)
    Eggs: I buy three or four dozen when they go on sale for a buck- eggs last longer than most people think. And I eat them pretty quickly
    Frozen veg: broc/cauliflower/carrots, stir fry mixes, sometimes peas. 1-2 bucks, last several meals
    Canned veg: higher in sodium, but still a decent choice, and way cheaper than fresh. Usually green beans and corn, simply because I prefer the canned variety.
    Canned beans! My faves are black and kidney. Admittedly, dry would be cheaper, but I've never used them, so I can't recommend them.

Finally, look into food banks in your area- there is no shame in taking a little extra help! There are two in my town: one that's church-run and mostly dry and canned good. The other is run by Second Harvest/Feeding America, and I've gotten tons of frozen meats, fresh produce, dairy etc. at that one.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I also cut costs by:

-having only water and milk in the house. Juice is expensive and full of sugar anyway

-limit at-home snacks to apples (can get a big bag of galas for 3.50 or whatever), mandarin oranges, carrot sticks or celery. maybe grab a bottle of dip. It might seem more expensive to always have apples or bananas around, but I bet if you add up the price of the boxed snacks the kids race through (at least mine do), you'll find it's cheaper to limit to fruit or veggie snacks.

-A large box of Simply yogurt tubes can be pretty cheap-- if you freeze the tubes, it makes for a "popsicle" without the all the sugar and added price, plus it has more substance to it so you can actually use it as a snack and not have the kids hungry 5 min later.

-large containers of greek yogurt are less expensive than individual containers.

-we don't do "bored eating" in our house. I always make sure to ask myself, "are they bored hungry? or really hungry?"
  • justlosingtheweight
    justlosingtheweight Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My Mum told me you can eat anything you want as long as its in moderation. Try lowering the amount of pasta and increase the amount of veg. Frozen veg is cheaper and lasts longer than fresh :) also if you eat meat then frozen chicken breast is good as it is cheaper than fresh, high in protein and low in calories just make sure its skinless.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    There is nothing at all wrong with carbs. They are NOT unhealthy. That is just some bonkers idea that made it into our brains because someone wanted to make money selling low carb diets and products.

However, why pay more for pasta roni when you could be making real pasta for less? Buy rice, Pasta, Potatoes. Flour, beans, etc etc. Its all perfectly healthy. You don't have to use the boxed stuff loaded with chemicals, dyes, preservatives, salt, hydrogenated fat, HFCS, etc etc. The real deal is actually cheaper on a per calorie basis...but it requires a bit more effort.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice given here, can't add to it really, but frozen veg, fruit and canned are staples in this house as have to budget to make ends meet here too!
    We live in a quiet suburb and whilst grow some of our own, there are plenty of growers who sell their excess wares! Currently rhubarb for 50p a large portion, so crumbles and cakes to be baked! So, I suppose I am saying, try to buy the in season stuff.....usually cheaper!

As a by the by, In the Uk, the government is implementing a sugar reduced diet for our kids. My son's school is doing a health campaign and my son has said he doesn't think we ought to have pop and squash anymore...he is drinking cooled water and loving it!. That is saving me a packet and has given me a kick as a parent.....why did I allow these sugar loaded drinks in the house anyway?
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    A great way to cut costs is to cut down on meat consumption. Buying frozen is also excellent. Try to grow some herbs on your windowsill. Basic ingredients for me are:

Canned:
    Chickpeas
    Cannellini beans
    Chopped tomatoes
    Sweetcorn

Dried:
    Red lentils
    Green lentils
    Flour
    Oats
    Chorizo sausage (a little goes a very long way)
    Pasta
    Pearl barley
    Rice

Frozen:
    Broad beans
    Green peas
    Smoked haddock
    Spinach
    Mixed berries (for me these are cheaper than buying eg. blueberries and raspberries separate)

Fresh:
    Mushrooms
    Sweet potatoes
    Onions
    Garlic
    Carrots
    Butternut squash
    Eggs
    Milk
    Butter
    Apples
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It can be really hard. I really do understand. Frozen veggies are cheap. Bananas, kiwi, cantaloupe are cheap. Pasta, whole grain can be found for the same price in my area.

If you can't find a way to make what you feel is healthier options work on your budget.. just eat what you can afford.. and count your calories and portion control until you can work things into your budget.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas, bump for later reference.
  • zodan1976
    zodan1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    WOW...... a lot of great advice here....thank you guys so much. Makes me feel a little better knowing that others have this issue and have found ways out of it.....I will defiantly be looking into a farmers market. I have one tomato plant that I bought at the beginning of this season (to see if I could keep it alive....LOL) its still alive and I have one tiny tomato growing right now ;) so next year I'm planning on a few more. I have tried couponing before and I have found that most of the coupons that are out there are good but you can get the store brand for cheaper than what your saving on buying name brand with a coupon. The reason I feel that starches are bad for you is because starches turn to sugar and that kind of sugar is bad for me. (I am insulin resistant) Again thank yall for all the feed back and keep it coming because I am defiantly reading what everyone has to say......:)
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm on a tight budget but I do look for savings wherever I can find them. You're right it is hard to eat healthy on a tight budget, some things that I work with..
    -eggs
    -frozen vegetables
    -I usually find chicken on sale at my local price chopper but look around and see what kind of deals you can get.

I know that's not much and I know it's not easy bc believe me I've been down to my last cent and ate the ramen noodles but just DO THE BEST YOU CAN. If everyone in your house is not drinking water a majority of the time then you can start there... I used to buy so much soda it was ridiculous, I only drink water and coffee now.