Breakfast or no?

Options

Replies

• tamwins
    tamwins Posts: 22
    Options
    Yes! I love breakfast.
    I've lost 32 lbs.
    I don't know if it helps my metabolism, but it definitely gives me a good jumpstart to my day. It gives me the necessary energy to do the things I need to do.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    1.) No
    2.) 15 lbs
    3.) No. Whenever I eat breakfast I tend to overeat.

I always skip breakfast because I'm just not hungry in the morning and I like to save my calories for later in the day.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs. Started in February and reached my goal in May and I have kept it with some fluctuation going from having to actually gain a couple of pounds to be back where I want to be gaining a pound which I normally easily lose again. I eat a big breakfast every day. I own a restaurant that is famous in our are just for that and I go there every day from Tuesday to Sunday and on Mondays, when we are closed, I go elsewhere. I don't know if it helps my metabolism but I know it helps my mood and it gets me going. I don't think I would be able to do as much as I do or keep a healthy weight without it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    3.) Personally, do you think breakfast helps w/ metabolism or no? Why?

How is this a personal question? It's unequivocally a scientific one, to which the answer is that no such evidence has been found in favour of breakfast augmenting metabolism more or less than a meal more spaced.

If you wanted to ask a personal question about breakfast, it would be, "Do you find that breakfast personally helps you with appetite?"

And to that end, yes, it helps me keep my appetite in check.

They may be right or wrong but she wants to know what they [we] think

OP why does your trainer get to tell you whether you've eaten before the workout or not? Seems shady

I eat breakfast
    Lost about 50 lbs total over a few years
    I don't believe there's an impact on metabolism but a growling tummy at work is fairly distracting
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I workout very early in the morning. Always eat a 900 calorie breakfast after my workout of oatmeal, nuts and lots of fruit. Low cal protein shake at 9:30 followed by an apple at 10:00. Lost 50 lbs. and in maintenance for about a month now.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat breakfast. I didn't used to when I was younger (in college) and didn't need to be "on" right away in the morning, but since I've had jobs, I always eat breakfast since I don't function well at work if I don't eat something. My breakfasts are not that big, usually from 200-400 calories, since I don't have a big appetite in the morning, but I still have something every day.

I have lost about 15 lbs, which is what I needed to get rid of. I've been maintaining for a little over a month.

Eating breakfast definitely helps me feel saner and on a more even keel all day; if I don't eat breakfast I tend to eat large amounts of not-very-healthy foods later on. I am a bit hypoglycemic so eating regularly is important for me to not become very "hangry" indeed!

As others have mentioned, I don't think eating breakfast/not eating breakfast affects your metabolism one way or another; there are lots of people who do "intermittent fasting" as their very successful weight loss strategy. which often means that they eat only from, say, noon until 8 pm each day, thus no breakfast.
  • edmwnd
    edmwnd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    1 - No - never been much of a breakfast eater, so just don't bother anymore.
    2 - 42lbs from my heaviest last year
    3 - skipping one meal won't affect metabolism. People can usually find any study to back up their own opinion, but I remember reading one that stated fasting does not affect metabolism at all until around 36 hours have passed, and even then it was minimal.

Whether you eat first thing in the morning or not is purely a lifestyle preference and makes no difference to your health/fitness.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    yes breakfast every day - usually a smoothie.
    I also tend to eat something every two hours to not allow myself to get too hungry otherwise I binge.
    lost 40+ lbs...
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options

She said the following: "Ehhhhh. Some people lose weigh eating it and some people lose weight without it. So, hard to say."

It isn't hard to say because science gives us an answer. The way she answered it and outlined the thread suggests consensus on the subject matters and/or it would become easier to say.

It's not a thread testing people's inclination toward believing in myths; it is one that perpetuates them. Look at the context.

Note, too, that within anyone's answer who said yes, you could mentally replace the concept of "metabolism" with "appetite" (which I mentioned in my first post) and it would make infinitely more sense.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just a curious poll.
    1.) Do you eat breakfast?
    Not in the regular sense of 'wake up and eat something' no. I take fruit and yogurt to work and eat that around 9:30am or so. On weekends I may eat a little earlier but still not right away (it's 9am here and I'm not hungry yet)

2.) How much weight have you lost?
    In total, 63.4lbs as of this morning. :)

I don't know enough about the metabolism stuff to give a decent response.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have lost 128 lb so far and I ALWAYS eat breakfast. I don't believe it has any special power over my metabolism. For me, it is necessary to eat breakfast because I feel tired and cranky if I don't eat within about an hour of waking. It is just part of my routine. Even when I was a college student sleeping late and working tons of weird hours in addition to school, I was up and at 'em with my diet pepsi and mini donuts or something. Anything. Now I start out with eggs, fruit, oatmeal, healthy type stuff. I love breakfast although I keep mine to about 200 calories usually. Makes me feel energetic and great until lunchtime.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast. I've not lost much weight yet but even though I set for a 1lb a week deficit I'm still tending to lose 2-2.5lbs a week.
    I don't know if it helps with metabolism but I think it probably does because I feel more energetic after eating in the morning and I don't have caffeine with my breakfast.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1.) yep!
    2.) 15 pounds
    3.) Not sure, but I have a high metabolism in the first place. I need breakfast to help keep me in a low calorie meal mindset. If I skip it I'll overcompensate later with lunch, which sends me downhill for the rest of the day!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every day.
    I've lost almost 35 pounds, very slowly.
    I have no idea what role my breakfast plays in my weightloss and I really don't care.

I love breakfast. I love the taste of breakfast foods. I love my high protein/high fiber cereal and milk. It makes me very happy. I love the time I sit eating my breakfast and reading a few pages of my book. I love the transition that gives me from just waking up to actually starting my active day.

I log my breakfast. MFP tells me how many calories I have left for the rest of the day. I comply with that. I would end up eating the same number of calories anyway, so I don't see where it would make any difference how I divide those calories.

Anyway, I love breakfast so I eat breakfast.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) It depends.
    2) Hard to assess total fat loss due to gaining muscle throughout periods of bulking. Total change in weight has been about a 20lb loss but that assumes zero gain in muscle. So total fat loss is likely much higher than 20lbs.
    3) Current evidence does not indicate that breakfast boosts metabolism.

Now all that being said, breakfast CAN have a significant effect on satiety and it can have a significant effect on total energy intake. This is why it's good to let preference play a major role in determining whether or not you eat breakfast.
  • MrGumbOoO
    MrGumbOoO Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes, about 58lbs in total. I make sure I have 2 Shreddied Wheat or some Rice Krispies and a Coffee every morning and that keeps me filled until lunchtime. If I don't eat first thing I find myself picking at stuff mid morning which is in itself a recipe for disaster.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Just a curious poll.
    1.) Do you eat breakfast?
    2.) How much weight have you lost?

YES! I love eating in the morning.
    No weight lost or gained, never tried to lose weight though.:)
    Don't know why, but I've never read anything credible saying it helps.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    1 - Yes
    2 - 26lbs over 2 and a bit years
    3 - I don't have a clue about metabolism and such so can't really answer that.

If I could live off porridge, I would!!!:happy:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

She said the following: "Ehhhhh. Some people lose weigh eating it and some people lose weight without it. So, hard to say."

It isn't hard to say because science gives us an answer. The way she answered it and outlined the thread suggests consensus on the subject matters and/or it would become easier to say.

It's not a thread testing people's inclination toward believing in myths; it is one that perpetuates them. Look at the context.

Note, too, that within anyone's answer who said yes, you could mentally replace the concept of "metabolism" with "appetite" (which I mentioned in my first post) and it would make infinitely more sense.

Agreed! She's allowed to give her opinion in her own poll thread
  • juliehardman
    juliehardman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try to always eat breakfast. I've lost about 12 lbs. I do believe it is necessary to get the metabolism going...when you don't put fuel in your body, the body's metabolism slows and goes into 'starvation" mode. It's better to eat several small meals throughout the day than it is to save up and eat one or two meals.:smile: