Breakfast or no?

Options
Just a curious poll.
1.) Do you eat breakfast?
2.) How much weight have you lost?
3.) Personally, do you think breakfast helps w/ metabolism or no? Why?

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast. I've lost over half my body weight. No, I don't think it does anything for metabolism, I think it's just personal preference. Some people eat too much later if they skip breakfast, and some of us eat too much if we start the day with it.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Yes, always. Sometimes it is in the form of a protein shake but I always have breakfast. I never skip any meals and have snacks throughout the day. I have lost 203lbs. I am not sure it helps with metabolism but I was a binge eater and it helps me not get abck to that point :) If I always have something in my stomach I don't feel the urge to binge eat like I do if I skip a meal :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    1) Yes, I eat breakfast.
    2) 12 lbs.
    3) Whether or not eating breakfast affects metabolism remains unclear.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am up with my hubby at 5.30 and I eat lunch at 1pm. I am not allowed to eat at work so I have to eat a good breakfast or I feel ill half way through the morning. I usually have an egg white omlet with veggies and a couple of pieces of chicken bacon and a cup of coffee. Some days 2 paleo breakfast muffins instead with my coffee. A lot of the people I work with don't or can't eat breakfast and some are very low on energy before lunch. If I don't eat breakfast I pig out later in the day. Each to their own :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    1) yes
    2) about 21 pounds
    3) who knows, but if I don't eat breakfast I become so ravenous that making good food choices becomes almost impossible.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've lost about 16 pounds and even though I'm currently keeping my breakfasts small, I feel like it does something good for my blood sugar, hormones, and metabolism. Break - fast. But I've heard of people having success with one big meal later in the day, and all sorts of variations.
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just curious to what everyone thinks.
    Here's mine:
    1.) I USE to eat breakfast. However, I no longer do because my trainer has me on fasted cardio in the AM, so by the time I'm home it's lunch. But I do love breakfast.
    2.) I've lost nearly 100 pounds.
    3.) Metabolism?? Ehhhhh. Some people lose weigh eating it and some people lose weight without it. So, hard to say.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Just a curious poll.

Just a curious poll.
    1.) Do you eat breakfast? Most of the time I have at least a 150 calories coffee with sugar and whole milk.
    2.) How much weight have you lost? nearly 50lbs.
    3.) Personally, do you think breakfast helps w/ metabolism or no? Why? Nope! Because science. It takes your body a few days without enough calories for maintenance for the body to enter a catabolic state and devour itself, let alone alter one's metabolism. Skipping one meal shouldn't have any kind of effect on metabolism, at least not a noticeable effect, as long as the individual isn't seriously restricting and starving themselves. Literally, starving themselves.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast because if I don't, I'm gonna crash and burn and feel like crap. I think it's a personal preference, though. Whatever works best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast - sometimes. Only when I'm hungry.

I've lost 111 lbs so far.

There is no scientific evidence that breakfast increases metabolism. Some studies say yes, others no.

If you want breakfast - eat it! If not, don't. Pretty simple.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just a curious poll.

1) yes: either oatmeal, eggs, or cottage cheese because they keep me satisfied until it's time for lunch.
    2) 22 lbs since mid-May..
    3) I don't know that it does anything for my metabolism, but I suspect it might. I know that I feel so much better when I eat breakfast. I have more energy, better concentration, and it basically sets me up to have a good day. Skipping breakfast is one of the "not taking care of myself" behaviors that seems to signal me to eat junk. Building in time in the morning to eat a healthy satisfying breakfast reinforces that I'm committed to taking care of myself.
  • blearyspecs
    blearyspecs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1) Yes
    2) 43 lbs
    3) I know that since I've started eating breakfast every day I've been noticeably less hungry before lunch and have stopped buying snacks at Tim's. It also helps keep the gallbladder going which is good for people at risk for stones (e.g. the obese and/or people losing weight rapidly).
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    1. Usually
    2. 20 lbs more or less
    3. No, I don't think that breakfast affects metabolism.

If I am hungry in the morning, I eat. Sometimes I don't have time for breakfast and have a larger lunch instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1) Yes, almost always, and I really miss it when I don't
    2) 51 pounds
    3) No, I think it's just a matter of personal preference. For me, I switched from no breakfast to eating breakfast when I became a morning person for some unknown reason some years ago and started naturally waking up early in the morning and being up for a couple of hours or more before I had to leave for work. I still don't eat immediately and can't eat (other than a piece of fruit or protein shake) before morning cardio. But these days I usually get hungry after being up an hour or so and definitely get more hungry than I'd like before lunch if I don't eat breakfast. I did not become a breakfast person due to dieting, but I eat a much better and more filling breakfast now.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    1) Almost never.
    2) 27 pounds in two months.
    3) I don't believe it effects your metabolism, but I believe some people do better with, some people do better without and with some people it just doesn't matter. Personally, I do better without breakfast.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    1. No, never. I don't eat until 12:30pm.
    2. 30lbs and I have 7lbs to go.
    3. No I don't because I have been losing weight just fine. I started eating breakfast because everybody told me I should and I found it more difficult to lose weight. Everybody is different though.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Just a curious poll.

1. Yes (bowl of oats with chia seeds).
    2. Lost 57 lbs
    3. No. I believe it doesn't matter if you eat all of your calories in one meal, or spread them over the entire day and night. Spreading it out helps deal with that getting hungry thing.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    1) Every day (typically porridge + fruit)
    2) 91lbs down and still dropping
    3) I can't speak for metabolism, but my day goes better when I've had breakfast
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. I am not hungry in the morning and I prefer to eat my calories at night.

I was just tested for this and my metabolism is 12% higher than women my height and weight, so I have scientific proof it does not hurt my metabolism.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Your questions are meaningless. Those are matters that differ from person to person.

What stays the same is, the deficit is all that matters.