Too much water?

Options
Is there such a thing as too much water? I switched from diet coke to water and am drinking about 20 glasses a day, but have gained, rather than lost, weight. Is this going to go away (soon, preferably)? Am I drinking too much?

Replies

• klwatkins
    klwatkins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water too! Ready to see the replys!
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    thats a good question all I drink is water also.
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i would like to know this also i didnt think water had any calories?
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're drinking to much. I drink between 10-15 8oz a day, and I am still losing. How is your sodium intake? I use to be horrible with it, my husband pointed it out to me when he looked at my old food journals, and ever since I started getting the recommended or lower I've been losing more.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're drinking to much. I drink between 10-15 8oz a day, and I am still losing. How is your sodium intake? I use to be horrible with it, my husband pointed it out to me when he looked at my old food journals, and ever since I started getting the recommended or lower I've been losing more.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I agree with Sheriemae..Keep an eye on your salt intake.
  • morley75
    Options
    I have been told by my spin instructor that you can drink too much water. He said one gallon of water can weigh 7 pounds. Just think what that can do if you are not filtering out the excess water everyday. I know there are times that I retain water and weigh more. If you eat alot of salt this can cause you to retain water as well.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Too much can flush essential ions from your body. I was actually told by my doctor to add salt to my food when I had water retention issues, because he said it can be caused by too much or too little water. For me, it was too much. Your body needs a balance and you have to find it for yourself. I drink 8 glasses a day, +/- 2 glasses depending on how I feel that day and how much I exercise. Too little, I feel thirsty and dehydrated, too much and I feel bloated.:smile:
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i have found this paragraph on a website seems it can be dangerous to drink too much water.

Dangers of Too Much Water
    Don't start drinking an extra gallon of water a day - that can kill you, especially if you are fasting or eating very little. Water taken in must be in balance with body salt - electrolytes. The body needs to maintain salt balance or risk hyponatremia with heart attack and even death. Drinking too much water dilutes the salt in your blood and tissues - and can kill you. Healthy athletes have died from drinking too much plain water and not replacing salt. Dieters should not plunge into drinking gallons of water a day in hopes of burning a few more calories. Drink an extra few glasses, yes. But a gallon is too much.

found it on this website.

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/water011204.htm
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    try the link below it will take you to a quiz that helps you decide how much water to drink. I should be getting about 18 glasses of water and I uasually get an average of 12

There is such a thing as drinking too much water. which can result in drowning your organs but it is very hard to do and requires that you to drink a lot in a short time period.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink too much water - but unless you're drinking a large volume in a short time period, or drinking a ton of water while doing lengthy strenuous exercises (like long-distance running) you should be fine.

The concern about drinking a ton of water is that in the scenarios above, your electrolytes (specifically sodium) can be out of balance - too little sodium (or watered down sodium, essentially) can cause serious health problems (it's called hyponatremia). However, most people (even people who regularly exercise) don't have to worry as long as they're drinking water throughout the day (not all at once) because most people get plenty of sodium in our regular diets. If you notice any of the following symptoms, you should consider spreading your water out more or cutting back some, and seeing a doctor if the symptoms are serious:

-headache
    -confusion or altered mental state,
    -seizures
    -restlessness,
    -muscle spasms or cramps,
    -weakness, and tiredness.
    -nausea and vomiting may accompany any of the symptoms
    -decreased consciousness which can proceed to coma and death

Obviously some of these are serious, but most people do not have to worry about this because we get enough sodium (most people get MORE than enough) and most people aren't engaging in the type of exercise that puts us most at danger - marathon running is when you tend to hear of people having this problem often, because they drink too much plain water, sweat out a lot of salt, and don't replace the sodium they need.
  • mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think there is such a thing as too much water. Drinking 64 oz a day is the most anyone should drink i think. When i did that i lost weight .
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You need to check the color of you urine. It is suppose to be lemonade aide in color. If its lighter than that you are drinking tooooooo much water. If it is darker than you are not drinking enough water. You must remember water is to rehydrate your body from exercise and heat.not to be used as food replacement, to make yourself full. Water flushes out your vitamins, minerals and sodium from you system that are vital components to you over all health. It can damage your kidneys. And the answer to you question is yes you can drink to much water.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There was actually an incident a couple of years ago where one of the radio talk shows had a water drinking contest and a woman died aftering ingesting like 1-2 gallons of water in a very short time. It messes with the ions and electrolites in your body.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    my guestion for u is what ur sodium intake. 2500 mg is all u should have in sodium if u have mor than that u will retain water which means u will gain and not lose
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I drink boatloads of water...literally. Once I got a cramp in my calf during spin class and I'm pretty sure it's because I had drank close to 240 ounces of water up to that point. Have since switched to a diluted sports drink mix after lunch and am doing fine. Do what feels good for you and it will be hard to go wrong.
  • traceysturn
    Options
    I drink 90-100 oz a day & have never had any issues other than alot of potty breaks :wink:
    Keep the sodium in check & you'll be fine!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think there is such a thing as too much water. Drinking 64 oz a day is the most anyone should drink i think. When i did that i lost weight .

64 oz is definitely NOT the max. Assuming someone has healthy kidneys, their body can filter out 800 to 1,000 milliliters, which is 27-34 oz per HOUR. As long as someone isn't drinking more than that on a regular basis, they should be fine.

20 cups (at 8oz/cup) is 160oz - spread out over 16 hours that someone is awake is only 10 oz. per hour. It may be more than we technically need, but it is not a dangerously high level. It's just important to spread it out and not guzzle all of that at once.

The weight gain is likely related to other factors, not the water.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

That is the minimum you should get 8-8oz glasses/day (64oz)