The metabolic effect diet

Options
Hi All
I was speaking to one of the personal trainers in the gym recently.....I have had a few PT sessions with her and all the time she never really plugged anything. However the other day I started talking to her and she said she had started doing this diet and exercise with quite a few people and she said the outcome is amazing..... I have bought the book and I am starting it tomorrow.... does anyone else do it? and if so how are you getting on with it? I would also like some friends who do it so we can encourage each other and share recipes etc?
I will be grateful for any help

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Why would you waste money on stuff THEN exercise due diligence afterwards?

Advice? Get your money back if you can, and don't take anymore nutrition advice from your personal trainer.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is probably a reasonable plan.
    You can do it yourself by cutting carbs.
  • katdell
    katdell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I havnt bought into anything apart from the book... I am not doing this with the PT I am doing it on my own!! That is why I was asking if anyone has done it! From reading the book the diet itself does not seem a bad diet... it seems more like eating a lot healthier and cutting out a lot of processed foods etc. Have you seen any info on it SonicDeathMon and if so why do you not like it??
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I was speaking to one of the personal trainers in the gym recently.....
    This never ends well
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I havnt bought into anything apart from the book... I am not doing this with the PT I am doing it on my own!! That is why I was asking if anyone has done it! From reading the book the diet itself does not seem a bad diet... it seems more like eating a lot healthier and cutting out a lot of processed foods etc. Have you seen any info on it SonicDeathMon and if so why do you not like it??

I like being able to eat what I want to eat and not following any "rules" by eliminating food types/groups. I haven't tried it, and by following MFP's simple formula and CICO, I am glad I will never have to. When you start getting into what's "healthy" and what's "not," things get complicated. It's really as simple as calorie deficit for weight loss and exercising for fitness. You can do this without a diet, I promise!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All "diets" work for one reason. Calorie deficit. The other thing all "diets" do is sell books. That's it. You wasted money on a book that will give you a random set of arbitrary rules that will have no impact on your progress beyond what you would have setting your own calorie deficit. The author is glad to have duped you, however, that's how they make money. They also expect you to fail, so you can then buy their NEXT book. Just remember, the "weight loss industry" is built on the fact that you will fail. Otherwise they can't keep making money. Skip the silly gimmicks, you have all the tools you need for dieting right here for free on this website.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    All "diets" work for one reason. Calorie deficit. The other thing all "diets" do is sell books. That's it. You wasted money on a book that will give you a random set of arbitrary rules that will have no impact on your progress beyond what you would have setting your own calorie deficit. The author is glad to have duped you, however, that's how they make money. They also expect you to fail, so you can then buy their NEXT book. Just remember, the "weight loss industry" is built on the fact that you will fail. Otherwise they can't keep making money. Skip the silly gimmicks, you have all the tools you need for dieting right here for free on this website.

So much ^this! We may seem a bit harsh OP, but there is NO new way to diet under the sun. People will do anything to make a buck, including writing a diet book that claims following their program will give a result that is somehow going to be different than a simple calorie deficit while watching your macros. Personal trainers (with a few notable exceptions) are among the most uneducated when it comes to nutrition and 'dieting'. Use them for fitness advice, which is all they are qualified to hand out. To expect or hope for anymore from them is doing yourself a disservice.
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Me too... just healthier choices watch the portions.. eating as clean as I can.... I want to live in the world... no fast foods. And cooking better meals. Healthier choices when I do eat out not over endulging.... something u can live with for the long run....
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I personally love reading diet books. I don't consider reading books a waste of money, though I do get most of them from the library. They're all based on some sort of science and all represent a plan that works well for at least some people. Calorie counting is not at all the only way of losing weight.

I think a personal trainer is a rip-off but I would never assume my choice is the right choice for everyone.

I haven't read that book, though. :smile:
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There is a book worth reading.. dereck doeker... more about the psychology behind our choices and how to make better choices and avoid bad behaviors... he has a few books on amazon and reasonable ... I also get his blog.... it motivated me.... afterall di we really eat because we're hungry....
  • katdell
    Options
    The problem I have is I love bad food far too much... I have been calorie counting for a while but I think that this dosnt seem to work as I still go for bad food and as long as its within the calories I am allowed then I will eat it... so even though I am in a deficit the food I have been eating are really not doing me any good!! I need to start eating healthier and by following this even for a little while I am hoping to get my eating back on track... I really need to start making all meals and eating more cleanly!! The personal trainer I had was really good with the exercises she gave me made me get to a great point but again every time she looked at my food diary she would tell me that I was comfort eating (which I was)... At this time she was not promoting this book and told me to eat more cleanly so I cant say she isnt good!!
  • tigersword
    Options
    I personally love reading diet books. I don't consider reading books a waste of money, though I do get most of them from the library. They're all based on some sort of science and all represent a plan that works well for at least some people. Calorie counting is not at all the only way of losing weight.

I think a personal trainer is a rip-off but I would never assume my choice is the right choice for everyone.

Yes, it is. The only way the human body loses weight is by expending more calories than it takes in. Period.
  • tigersword
    Options
    The problem I have is I love bad food far too much... I have been calorie counting for a while but I think that this dosnt seem to work as I still go for bad food and as long as its within the calories I am allowed then I will eat it... so even though I am in a deficit the food I have been eating are really not doing me any good!! I need to start eating healthier and by following this even for a little while I am hoping to get my eating back on track... I really need to start making all meals and eating more cleanly!! The personal trainer I had was really good with the exercises she gave me made me get to a great point but again every time she looked at my food diary she would tell me that I was comfort eating (which I was)... At this time she was not promoting this book and told me to eat more cleanly so I cant say she isnt good!!
    There's no such thing as "good" or "bad" food. All food has nutritional value, and all you need is to reach an adequate level of nutrients. Once you hit the amount you need, you don't get extra credit for eating more, to paraphrase Eric Helms. This is exactly what I referred to when I said "arbitrary rules" that mean nothing. Do you get enough protein, fat, carbs, and vitamins and minerals? Then there's nothing wrong with your food choices. If you're deficient in something, then obviously you need to make changes; however, deficiencies really are rare in this day and age in the Western world.
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Metabolic effect is actually not a diet plan at all, its about learning how to control your hunger, energy and cravings. It also is about not exercising yourself to death and learning to live in the real world. I have not bought the books, but I follow her on line, Jillfit (facebook her) and her husband is the one for metabolic effect. It really is not a diet all, but just learning to eat healthy and for your body type, and learning control of your own binges, etc. Really, they are great to read! Good for you OP!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yes, it is. The only way the human body loses weight is by expending more calories than it takes in. Period.
    You don't have to COUNT to lose weight.
  • tigersword
    Options

Yes you do. You have to count calories, OR carbs, OR number of ounces of chicken breast, OR number of grapes, OR number of bottles of beer, etc. Show me a single "diet" book that doesn't tell you exactly how many of each food to eat. You certainly have to count. Counting calories just happens to be the easiest, least restrictive method.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Metabolic effect is actually not a diet plan at all, its about learning how to control your hunger, energy and cravings. It also is about not exercising yourself to death and learning to live in the real world. I have not bought the books, but I follow her on line, Jillfit (facebook her) and her husband is the one for metabolic effect. It really is not a diet all, but just learning to eat healthy and for your body type, and learning control of your own binges, etc. Really, they are great to read! Good for you OP!

The only body type you need to eat for is your height, weight, sex and desired weight loss. MFP provides all of that free of charge.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I am glad I'm not alone! I love reading diet books for some reason.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Yes you do. You have to count calories, OR carbs, OR number of ounces of chicken breast, OR number of grapes, OR number of bottles of beer, etc. Show me a single "diet" book that doesn't tell you exactly how many of each food to eat. You certainly have to count. Counting calories just happens to be the easiest, least restrictive method.
    Easiest for everyone?

There are lots of diet plans with no counting. Mayo Clinic diet, Mediterranean diet, intuitive eating methods, WW Core and Simply Filling plans, the Cinch diet, the Zone diet, paleo, South Beach, Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, Dash, Ornish, TLC, flexitarian, Biggest Loser diet, MyPlate.gov, SlimFast, volumetrics, Spark Solution, macrobiotic, vegan...

I think most don't require counting. Because most people don't like counting, I think, and find it tedious and difficult.
  • katdell
    Options
    Thanks catjrow3 I will have a look for them on facebook and see what they have to say!!