Vegan diet carbs/protein/fat ratios

Options
Question for those who follow a vegan, unprocessed diet. I eat raw foods, as well as cook them and follow a mostly vegan diet, every few weeks i will have meat of some sort. I find that at my 55% carb allowance that I am far over that, and unfortunately majority of my protein (seeds and nuts) have a considerable amount of carbs to them. Does anyone know what the ratio of macronutrients should be for those following these a similar diet? I realize complex carbs are on a whole different spectrum from simple carbs. I eat mostly veggies with a few fruits through out the day, usually a baked potato (a considerable amount of protein in them!) and whole grains, rolled oats ect and still seem to be over my sugar allowance as well. help!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's o.k. For those of us on plant based diets the macros are not going to come out like MFP wants. I ignore.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and always come out with too many carbs but I don't worry about it.
  • lorihickling
    Options
    THANK YOU for the reassurance!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings on here to be 70/15/15. As long as I'm eating whole grains and produce, I'm not worried about how high my carbs are. And just 3 servings of fruit puts me way over on sugar. I don't even have that showing on my food diary anymore.
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't do ratios because I don't feel that they are individualized. I base my protein intake on my lean body mass. I base my carbs on how active I am. I eat the rest of my calories in fat. Every 2 weeks I make adjustments. Once a week or so I'll just follow calories but that's only because I'm a bad planner! :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    vegans need nutrients in the same balance as everyone else. 40/30/30 or 50/20/30 (carb/fat/protein) ratios are usually recommended, to ensure you're getting enough protein, essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins. your nutrient requirements don't change just because you decide to go vegan.

if you're struggling to get enough protein there are vegan protein powders e.g pea protein, that I've heard good recommendations for from vegan athletes and bodybuilders (not tried it myself, although I was vegan once long ago)
  • greenwrapgirl
    Options
    The FDA guidelines are somewhat arbitrary and not completely scientifically based. You don't need to worry too much about how much you're getting of what as long as you're eating a well-rounded, whole food plant based diet. You'll get everything you need. Make sure to eat a variety of colors in fruits and vegetables, whole grains or pseudo-grains (such as quinoa and buckwheat), legumes, nuts and seeds. And as long as you eat enough calories, you're getting enough protein. You really only need about 5 to 6 percent of your calories to be from protein. That being said, easily digestible high protein snacks or shakes after workouts do help build muscle. The bottom line is to eat real food, not processed junk.