Does it Get Better?

Options
Bananafish06
Bananafish06 Posts: 13 Member
Okay, so I am horribly out of shape. For the past 2 months I've been doing the C25K jogging program. According to the schedule I'm supposed to be doing a 22-25 minute run, but I can't make it past 12-14 minutes without resting even jogging at a very slow pace. I also recently added the 30 Day Shred to my regimen (I alternate the workouts 5 days a week and take 2 rest days). Honestly it's hard for me to understand how anyone actually enjoys working out because it is sooooo miserable. I'm always proud of myself afterward, but in the moment I feel like I'm going to die. I'm wondering if that ever goes away. I mean, I get that the better shape you're in the more you can tolerate, but you're also supposed to keep moving up the bar so that you keep challenging yourself. So I'm wondering if it's possible I'll ever be able to actually enjoy working out (or at least not feel like I'm dying) and if so how long it usually takes.

Replies

• brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am sure it will. Don't give up.
  • Tomboly1
    Tomboly1 Posts: 42
    Options
    Well exercise for most people is never fun, it's necessary for fitness. However, it can be more enjoyable if you are doing things that interest you. I absolutely hate running so I never even bothered trying it. What I do love is swimming and hiking. So that's what I try to incorporate the most into my exercise plans. Try out some different things and see what can make you say "Hey that wasn't so bad!" Maybe the particular things you have been doing just don't excite you enough.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy it once I start, but ALWAYS hate the idea of starting, without fail! I think maybe it's because I hated PE in high school so have the baggage that comes with feeling like its something I'm not good at!

I'm doing a variety of things and am about to start kettleworx as it looks like fun, :smile:
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think it gets better when you find something you enjoy. You don't have to run to be fit, you just need to move. Could you try some different activities?
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You are prob pushing yourself a bit hard. I never got to where I "liked" jogging--but I did like just getting out. I like lifting--but still have to make myself start many days and some days it is hard make myself do it. But you get addicted to feeling good and you start figuring out where that feeling comes from. And feeling strong feels GOOD. For myself, I might cut back on the running and do the shred and get get out and enjoy a fast walk--and look around and thank God for the day.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    When I started off with 30 days Shred I felt like I was going to die after 7 mins, literally. I couldn't breath or push myself any harder, I couldn't force my legs to move any more even though I wanted to, I wasn't even thinking clearly enough to incite myself to go on!
    That was hard to swallow since I wasn't overweight anymore and I wasn't even completely out of shape or lethargic.
    I started doing it everyday - with a few rest days in between, and things eventually started working. Now I've just finished it and I've just started 2 other JM programs, and even though it hurts the first day, I didn't need to stop that much, and even if it's still challenging it's not so challenging that you have to choose between exercising or falling on the floor out of breath.
    It takes time and a lot of patience; you need to become stronger, to make it an habit, to let your muscles learn how to move, and let me tell you dropping a few kgs also makes a huge difference.
    Take as easy as you need to when you're starting off, just remember that if it hurts too much you might injure yourself, but if you're not sweating and if it's not challenging it also might mean it's not enough for your body.
    (There's not much I can say about running - that's still a big issue for me. I was able to only run a couple of minutes in a row, now I can't do more than 5 mins yet)
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    Keep at it, before you know it, you'll easily be able to do what you're doing now, and become bored with it, and look for something more challenging. The fun is conquering new challenges.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    As far as C25K is concerned, you're probably running too fast. Focus on controlling your pace and running as slow as possible. It may seem counterproductive, but you'll be able to run farther and won't feel like death.

Try to find something you enjoy doing. It will make exercising easier to stick to long term.
  • okfitmom
    okfitmom Posts: 8
    Options
    I know for myself it got a lot more enjoyable! Growing up I had a back problem so I wasn't able to play sports or even partake in gym class, as an adult Yoga was the first thing fitness related I ever did. I got pregnant back to back, 2 kids in 1 year and after that I was VERY out of shape. I couldn't do a plank, a push up, or run anymore than about 2-3 minutes without having to stop.

I started with the C25K program as well, I never ran before that, my first baby was very fussy and the only time he was content was moving so I decided that running could benefit the both of us. I didn't enjoy it at all in the beginning but I just kept on pushing through. I had to take a 9 month break but I started again after my daughter, one year ago and now I run with both of them in a stroller 5km 3 x a week and I truly love it. It gets easier but the easier it gets, the stronger you become and the more you are able to push and it makes you want to work harder. You begin to see what your made of, and what your capable of accomplishing.

If you don't enjoy running, try different things, find something that you like to do, and go for it, but don't give up. Exercise of any kind should always be challenging, and there are lots of times I feel like I am dying through my workouts, but how I feel afterwards always trumps that challenge. Totally worth it for me! Good luck and keep pushing!

P.S. I had to repeat many weeks of the C25K program, maybe slow down a little and only move forward when you can complete the week successfully, you'll need to push yourself, mentally and physically but you can do it!
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred is meant to be done 30 consecutive days. It will get easier. I did it but I wasn't running.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Find something that you like doing. Join a kickball team or start lifting. Go on hikes or start trail running. Go swimming or rollerskating. There are a ton of ways to get exercise without being miserable. You just have to find what you like and expand your tastes from there.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred is meant to be done 30 consecutive days. It will get easier. I did it but I wasn't running.
    No it's not

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395495-jillian-says-not-to-do-30-day-shred-everyday
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yes. That is the simple answer. I think it takes me about 6 weeks with anything...be it exercise or learning a new skill, not for it to be just unpleasant.

It helps me to have a weekly reward if I do my best each week...that doesn't mean being perfect, but just doing my best in a week.

I'd echo: Find something you like.

I've tried running at least a dozen times, and I just absolutely hate it. But, I love the elliptical trainer and I burn about 1,200 calories per week on the elliptical trainer. I hate group classes, but I love free weights, and there's nothing I love more than weight training.

I have friends who have created fitness taking 7 group classes a week, friends who love yoga. Whatever makes you move your body and be more conscious of it, I think leads to other ways of moving your body.

I started out with 12 minutes on a recumbent bike. I'm now on my 4th Hustle Up The Hancock (running up 54 flights of stairs, I do the half hustle) and my time is 11 minutes 30 second.
  • Bananafish06
    Bananafish06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm not really sure if there is another activity that would be better. I'm so out of shape that no matter what I try (swimming, biking, etc) I'm usually struggling a few minutes in so it's torture to complete the workout. Plus, while I enjoy things like hiking there's no way I could find the time to do it several times a week, but I'm hoping that working out will help me to get in better shape so that I can pursue some more active type hobbies. I'm also limited by the fact that I can't afford a gym membership (none of the affordable ones by me have a daycare) or any equipment. Jogging is something I'm able to do because I have to walk the dog anyway. I think I would enjoy it quite a bit if my body could tolerate it better. I've set a goal to be able to finish a 5K without stopping by the end of the summer. I think I at least want to achieve that before I throw in the towel. If by then it hasn't gotten any better then maybe I should move onto something else.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you hate running, don't run! Try different types of exercise and see what you like. It only gets better when you find something that you enjoy doing.

If you absolutely feel like you have to run, even though you dislike it, try finding a running buddy or join a running group. If you're on a race-training program, try joining a fundraising team for a cause that you're interested in such as cancer awareness, human rights, raising money for local animal shelters, etc. You might find that running for a cause with a group of like-minded people will make the activity much more enjoyable!

Also, I've NEVER subscribed to being able to run for a particular amount of time. If I want to "run" 3-4 miles, I'll set my watch on intervals: Run for 2 minutes, walk for 1 minute. My pace stays consistent and I don't tire as easily than if I were to push myself to run the whole thing. Give interval training a try!
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that maybe running just isn't your thing. There are so many varieties of cardio exercise that you'd benefit perhaps from trying maybe group fitness of some sort or some circuits where your doing intervals(run for five min, walk for one min) of running along with some maybe body weight exercises.
    For me, I cannot run without my music and even often find myself singing. If you have an iPod create a running playlist or a few to rotate through, also of course breathing is key-getting enough oxygen into your lunges, proper shoes to match your form. Lastly, it sounds like you are planning on running for 25-30 min, like others said slow down your pace, since it's not a sprint, I don't think you need to worry about speed just yet as you can work on that after.
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just remember, there's no timetable you have to conform to. If it takes you longer to get to a 5k or to day 30 of 30 Day Shred, so be it. The idea is to keep going. Push yourself a little more on days when you're feeling stronger and sooner or later those days will become the norm instead of the exception. Keep in mind; what you're doing now is more than what you were doing before you started all this. That's worth a high five all by itself! :drinker:
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think the C25K program really doesn't mean that you should start you've never done any exercise ever before. My husband is just now getting interested in running and I told him that I'm not even going to let him start jogging/running unless he can walk 3.1 miles at 3.5- 4mph.

Once he's at that level of fitness, then we'll start jogging. I think it's also important to avoid sports related stress injuries.

Many people I know had to repeat C25K weeks, so don't feel bad if you need to. If you go to coolrunning.com (the folks that invented the C25K program), you'll see that in their literature they tell you to repeat weeks as necessary.

And the last thing I'm going to say is SLOW DOWN. You should be running by perceived effort. During your jogging time, you should still be able to talk and carry on a short-sentenced conversation. If you're huffing and puffing, you are running too fast. You should have no expectations of speed at this point, the goal is to finish.

Invest in a heart rate monitor and figure out where your zones are then run in your zones. I run marathons and I can't sustain a run at 185 bpm for very long -- that's my interval training. But I can run literally forever at 145 bpm.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am doing c25k and i started it in October and i am on week 6now!! I had to start again after i had a 7 week chest infection around christmas, but i have taken it very slowly as i have other health problems. When i was doing it once, possibly twice a week i was really struggling and didn't notice much of an improvement, but now i have upped it to at least 2, usually 3 times a week, i have really noticed a difference. I have managed 1 20 min run twice now, which even a week or so ago seemed impossible, I tried the 30 day shred and it was pretty tough going, so maybe doing 5 days a week is a little too much? I think exercise needs to be regular and consistent, but if you are just starting out, you may need to take a rest day more often.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau with c25k the first time I tried it. The interval spread went up too fast and I kept feeling like I needed a smaller step before advancing to the next week.

I ended up switching to Freeway to 10k (by podrunner) and that helped me hit my stride. You start off with 4 minute intervals x6 and each week the minutes increase by 1. After 9 minutes it shifts to 14 minute intervals x4, 20 minute intervals x3, and finally 30 minute intervals x2.

Anyway, it might be worth a shot if you want to give running another go. The end-goal is beyond what you're going for but you can always stop at 5k instead of following it to the end.