Sugar

Options
Maky20
Maky20 Posts: 22 Member
I adore honey but since it contains mostly sugar I'm kinda worried if I'm eating too much of it. Is sugar from honey bad sugar and how much honey a day would be enough honey?

Replies

• CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As far as I know sugar from honey is sugar. Sugar is sugar, no such thing as bad sugar or good sugar. So it would need to be within whatever your parameters are for sugar intake.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    For me, now...that would be about 1 teaspoon per year.

But seriously, the answer all depends on your calorie intake levels and activity levels. If you want more honey - burn more calories per day. I do this for bourbon and beer - :drinker:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I adore honey but since it contains mostly sugar I'm kinda worried if I'm eating too much of it. Is sugar from honey bad sugar and how much honey a day would be enough honey?

The answer is: as much as you want within your calories (unless you have diabetes)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic, than you need to track sugar. If you are not, then edit your settings and replace the sugar tracking with something like fiber. Sugar is a carbohydrate and will be tracked as such in your macros.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of misconception with what sugar really is. Sugar by itself is bad because we need other components to properly metabolize it a.k.a. Fiber.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    There's a lot of misconception with what sugar really is. Sugar by itself is bad because we need other components to properly metabolize it a.k.a. Fiber.

That is incorrect. Your body is able to metabolize sugar just fine by itself. Like the sugar in a coke, for instance. There is no fiber in coke, but your body uses the sugar in it without needing any other component. Diabetic glucose tests are run using a drink containing water and glucose, as another 'for instance' where bodies metabolize a sugar without any other component.

I am puzzled as to where you got your information, because I have never heard that particular misconception before.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sugars not bad and sugars not good - it's just a neutral buddy and fine in moderation. As long as the honey you have isn't pushing you over your cals target don't sweat it.

Log it and enjoy it.
  • Maky20
    Maky20 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for replies. I'm not diabetic but I'm weight gainer.
    I'm gonna keep doing just like I was, thanks you helped me :)
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Thank you guys for replies. I'm not diabetic but I'm weight gainer.
    I'm gonna keep doing just like I was, thanks you helped me :)

I took a peek at your diary. The only suggestion I have is that you are not hitting your protein goals, which are already set too low (the MFP default is a bit behind the times). The current suggestion is 100g/lb of lean body mass. I am 5'6" , 17% BF and 124, so for me I try to hit close to 100g/day.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Can't say I've ever heard this one.
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Careful... a lot of MFP peeps get real bent out of shape if you hate on sugar - alot of them are still in the calorie is a calorie camp. FYI some recent studies show that added sugars ( refined by bees or man) without its native fiber component (like fructose in an apple) may effect the body a bit differently than say other carbs and lead to metabolic syndrome. Evidently the fiber mediates the Insulin release and Leptin uptake ( may have that backwards) basically keeping its glycemic index nice and low... very compelling research recently spotlighted by a Dr. Lustig.( you can reference his research by googling him or searching for his you tube video " sugar - the bitter truth. ") I'm still researching his and other works but if you have every been morbidly obese some of his data will make alot of sense. Anyway supposedly 9 teaspoons of added sugar for men per day is acceptable - so I think no matter what camp your in a teaspoon of real honey is a great way to sweeten a beverage or meal.

P.S. Nothing for nothing but people have been a bit aggressive when you suggest that the old fitness adage of a calorie is a calorie might not be 100% correct.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Careful... a lot of MFP peeps get real bent out of shape if you hate on sugar - alot of them are still in the calorie is a calorie camp. FYI some recent studies show that added sugars ( refined by bees or man) without its native fiber component (like fructose in an apple) may effect the body a bit differently than say other carbs and lead to metabolic syndrome. Evidently the fiber mediates the Insulin release and Leptin uptake ( may have that backwards) basically keeping its glycemic index nice and low... very compelling research recently spotlighted by a Dr. Lustig.( you can reference his research by googling him or searching for his you tube video " sugar - the bitter truth. ") I'm still researching his and other works but if you have every been morbidly obese some of his data will make alot of sense. Anyway supposedly 9 teaspoons of added sugar for men per day is acceptable - so I think no matter what camp your in a teaspoon of real honey is a great way to sweeten a beverage or meal.

P.S. Nothing for nothing but people have been a bit aggressive when you suggest that the old fitness adage of a calorie is a calorie might not be 100% correct.

Dr. Lustig says in an interview that sugar produces fat. And later in that same interview he says that sugar is either burned through exercise, or turned to fat.... Fiber can slow the affect down yes, but the sugar is still processed the same way weather it be over a longer period of time, or shorter, your body processes it the same way. I'm not saying all sugar is the same, there is plenty of research showing the different ways the body processes sugar (glucose, fructose etc). I'm just saying people always want to create a culprit to blame.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I use raw honey :) I used to have diabetes so I am always careful about my sugar intake even if I do not have it anymore. :) I did some research and raw honey seemed to have the best results. It is a little thicker and not as sweet took me about 3 days to get used to the difference now I love it :)
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Dr. Lustig is about as credible as Dr. Oz when it comes to presenting scientific data in a fair balanced manner. As well, they are both making money off of their particular brands of 'spin': Dr. Lustig's book and Dr. Oz's various books, shows and endorsements. Here is a good read on the truth of Dr. Lustig's views and flaws behind it from an excellent Dr. and blogger, Alan Argon. http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Enjoy. :smile:
  • kevinsmithrn
    Options
    I agree about pers. responsibility... however I would like to know if a substance I am ingesting daily is affecting my body differently than we always thought. Human physiology is very complex and the mantra of "a calorie is a calorie" always seemed a bit simplistic. Anyway AHA and the WHO guidelines on ADDED sugars seem reasonable to me - at least people are discussing the components of their diets. That's a step in the right direction. Good Luck.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use raw honey :) I used to have diabetes so I am always careful about my sugar intake even if I do not have it anymore. :) I did some research and raw honey seemed to have the best results. It is a little thicker and not as sweet took me about 3 days to get used to the difference now I love it :)

I LOVE RAW HONEY. 1000000x better than any other type you could buy.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I agree about pers. responsibility... however I would like to know if a substance I am ingesting daily is affecting my body differently than we always thought. Human physiology is very complex and the mantra of "a calorie is a calorie" always seemed a bit simplistic. Anyway AHA and the WHO guidelines on ADDED sugars seem reasonable to me - at least people are discussing the components of their diets. That's a step in the right direction. Good Luck.

'A calorie is a calorie' is simply referring to the fact that a calorie a unit of measure, nothing more, nothing less. It does not differentiate between fat, carbohydrate or protein. It the unit of energy that is provided by an amount of food.

Calories in calories out refers to the balance of energy in the body. Too many in and not enough out equals weight gain, etc.

Macros (protein, carbohydrates and fats) are what one pays attention to if they wish to optimize their weight loss results, but not the amount of loss.

Human bodies are complex, but we all operate the same with a few medical exceptions. It's really not complicated, which is why the WHO can come out recommendations that cover pretty much everyone. Whether or not I agree with their recommendations in a whole 'nother story.

People like to complicate things. Why they do is an interesting question and matter of great debate. i suspect it is psychological and perhaps gives people a reason to shirk personal responsibility for failing.
  • kevinsmithrn
    Options
    Very engaging subject and thank you for the discourse. Have an awesome day!
  • cydulrich
    cydulrich Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I quit most added sugar 8 weeks ago. I was a sugar junkie. I am not, and never have been overweight, but I was getting flabby in the belly. I had a headache for 2 days when I went cold turkey on the soda and candy. Since that time, I have the occasional Skinny Cow candy bar, but have not had soda. I have a morbid fear of Aspartame...and I know people on this board think it is saf but my fear of aspartame is why I have never had a diet soda or diet anything for that matter. I am just going by my own experience with the sugar, and I don't care for honey....so have not used it either. Anyway, cutting off the soda is the reason I have lost 8 pounds. I was already in a long time habit of eating only about 1200-1400 calories a day and taking a daily mile walk and doing some exercise, but the one thing I was doing in that 1200-1400 calories was drinking a soda and eating a candy bar a day. So in my particular case, there goes the old calorie is a calorie idea. IMO one calorie is not interchangeable with another, once it enters your body. It is all in how you metabolize them. But I am not an expert and I am basing this on personal experience. If someone were to ask me I would say, dump most of the added refined sugar and the high fructose corn syrup, if you can, and you will lose some weight.
  • ScaryMaryOne
    ScaryMaryOne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dr. Lustig is definitely a wonderful authority on sugar in the average American's diet. The problem is that when we blamed our health problems on fat, the fat in processed foods was cut drastically and to make up for the flavor, sugar was added to processed foods. In general, that is. This explains why our heart disease hasn't changed much, but our number of diabetics has gone up drastically. There is a TON of hidden sugar in our processed foods.

We people can metabolize sugar just fine any way we get it. I think what someone was trying to say is that when we eat unprocessed foods, or minimally processed foods, we get our sugar mixed in with fiber and a lot of other nutrients. The fiber in particular prevents our bodies from having a spike in blood sugar soon after eating. This is why fiber is always recommended for general health and in particular, for diabetics. The more fiber, the better. Not Metamucil. Natural fiber in foods.

Refined sugar is not the only thing that is bad for people. Dr. Lustig and Dr. Esselstein have found that if you eat a vegan diet, your problems with high blood sugar and lipids in your blood go away. This is a pretty hard change for most people to make. Unless you are in terrible health, it's probably a bit much. But trying to eat unprocessed foods or minimally processed foods, as well as eating all your veggies and fruits, should take most people to better health and probably weight loss to boot.