When do you log your food?

Replies

• I always log my food right before I eat it. I started doing that because the first day I ate my usual foods and it was a HUGE eye-opener about how many calories (not to mention carbs, sugar and fat!) I was putting in my mouth. And I wasn't good with measurements at all - so I would put my food in, adjust the measurements if needed, and then go eat it. That was I wasn't surprised. But, I think whatever way works for you is the best way. :)
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    I am trying to log as I go (using laptop, work computer and app). But, worst case if I get behind I log before dinner so I am certain I don't go over!!! hth!
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    I have been using the phone app and log it after I eat it, but I sometimes enter foods and exercise early - then I know if I need to eat more or less, depending on my exercise for the day.
  • I put my menus in for the week on the weekend. That way, I'm planning ahead, know what I need to prepare, and shop for!
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    I log my food while I'm eating or immediately after. Its easy to "forget" what I ate if I wait too long afterwards.
  • har114
    har114 Posts: 10
    I log it the day before, so I know what to eat next day
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    I log everything right before I eat it to make sure it's not too many calories.
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    I log right before I eat - that way if I finish eating and I'm tempted to engorge in something yummy, I can easily tell myself "No Brandy, you've already spent what you had for lunch" -- then at night I final it, because I'm never sure if I may want a late night snack (which so far, I haven't) but its nice to not feel deprived!
  • shadiel
    shadiel Posts: 59 Member
    I log as I eat!!
  • i log as i eat, and since i have the android app, it makes it a lot easier, especially when it comes to looking a lot of things up, i just scan the barcode if it is something that has one. i don't close out till the very end of the day, since i am still running around the house late at night trying to get stuff done, as anyone with kids knows, a lot of the time nothing gets done until they are asleep
  • I usually log at the end of the day but I was thinking if I did it the night or morning before I would have something to comply with. Funny how most people say they can't eat right because they are so busy.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    I bring my breakfast and lunch to work so I log them first thing in the morning, as I know exactly what I'll be eating for the day. I usually log again before I eat supper but after I've prepared or planned the meal so I know how many calories I have left to work with. If I have an extra snack through the day I try to log immediately so I know what the impact on my intake is.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    I usually plan several days ahead so I already have tomorrow and the day after that pretty much logged.

Makes it easier to keep it balanced.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    i log through out the day via phone or web. find its better to do it through out the day than trying to remember it all at once.
  • I have the phone app and log right after i eat.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    I log right before or right after I eat. I like having the flexibility to eat what I want (within reason of course). Also, then I'm able to see instantly how many calories i need to burn at the gym. And i feel like it keeps me more accountable for my eating. I think that if I waited till the end of the day I might find that I over ate and if I planned out the entire day or week I might not like the pressure of having to eat what I planned. What can I say, I need the flexiblitiy. :)
  • bowserette
    bowserette Posts: 36 Member
    I have the phone app, so I usually log around the time I eat. Sometimes I log before if it's something planned (like going to Quizno's yesterday -- I checked out the menu online and decided what I wanted, then logged that), but that rarely happens. Because I have it on my phone, I can check throughout the day to see how many calories I have left. So if I'm out at a restaurant, I can pull out my phone and that will help me decide what my choices are. I'm a college student, so flexibility is nice. :)
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    before i start the day :)
  • julzmamabear
    julzmamabear Posts: 55 Member
    With having 5 kids at home, I have to plan out my daily meals the night before, so I log them in the the morning..I pack my breakfast, snack and lunch for work, so I already know what I'm having and log it in when I get to work and I normally have a good idea of what I'm going to cook for dinner so I log that one in by the time I'm leaving work. My homelife is crazy busy, so I can't find much time to log what I eat. My snacks for the night I set them out in the morning, so I know what I have to look forward to after dinner. I like have a set schedule of what I'm going to eat for the day..it helps keep me on track!!
  • I do it before I eat each meal, usually as I'm deciding/preparing my meals. Helps me know how much or how little I can have, and if I can add any treats in (like light mayo etc) depending on how well I've eaten the rest of the day..!

I've never eaten over my calories!
This discussion has been closed.