Craving Carbs in the Morning

Options
Every day when I get up, I have this horrible urge to eat something carby! It kind of makes sense because bread and such helps with my IBS, but it really drags my body down. And usually it is something sugary and unhealthy.
What are some suggestions to curb this habit?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "it drags your body down"?

What would happen if you were to eat something protein dense and include some fruit to satisfy your sweet tooth?
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It makes me more tired and makes me feel "fat."

I've done protein bars before and it works sometimes, but they are pretty expensive.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It makes me more tired and makes me feel "fat."

I've done protein bars before and it works sometimes, but they are pretty expensive.

What if you were to try something like 6-8oz of greek yogurt and stir in 1cup of frozen mixed berries?

You'd get a good chunk of protein, you'd get some sweetness from the berries, you'd get a lot of micronutrients and fiber and it would probably blunt hunger.

Granted there's all kinds of other options, the above is just a suggestion that would probably help the sweet tooth but still provide satiety and contribute towards your micro/macro needs.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling too, and I have found the following works for me (YMMV) - I do a packet of Kashi Go Lean oatmeal (vanilla), add chia seeds (love the texture when they swell up - since I like my oatmeal runny it is kind of like bubble tea with them in there), wheat germ (for a bit more protein - I am not a big meat fan for the most part) and I am actually thinking of adding some flax seed too. I get the carbs and sweet from the oatmeal, some protein from the oatmeal (I think it is 9 grams but can't remember exactly off the top of my head) and the wheat germ, and some fat. Sometimes I will add some cinnamon to it to mix it up. This is my typical workday breakfast because it is easy to take with me and it keeps me satisfied until lunch time. The other thing I have is this tea - sweet and spicy (forget the brand - maybe good earth) - no clue how they do it based on the ingredients but it really does have sweetness but no sugar (or stevia either which is what I would have expected). For me cinnamon helps make things seem sweeter somehow even if there is no sugar added (no idea why that is but I have read others say the same thing) and so something with that might help. I have IBS also (which seems to be better since I am trying to eat better) so I can sympathize with that for sure. I am sure others will say this is a horrible idea for breakfast but if you are a carb girl like me then maybe it is something you would want to try (or not, again, may not really be your thing).
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    what are your IBS triggers?

Sugar, dairy and stress are common triggers. Have you tried eggs and exercise for a week WITHOUT the carbs?
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    what are your IBS triggers?

Sugar, dairy and stress are common triggers. Have you tried eggs and exercise for a week WITHOUT the carbs?

I was going to suggest eggs....always feel full and able to go longer on a couple of eggs!
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Something as simple as 2 tablespoonfuls of red mills refined oatmeal with a little milk and packet of Splenda will take care of your carb cravings. Otherwise you are not going to quit the craving.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep. Forgot to mention 0.5 to 1tsp cinnamon. Worth a shot and cheap
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Smoothies..... 100% smoothies! The source of carbs is important so if you have a green smoothie or just fruit smoothie, which is a fabulous source of sugars and carbs, one feels very satiated and is ready to start the day with a smile. It has really helped my cravings in general too :smile:
  • JoeyQuaterna
    Options
    Maybe try mashed sweet potato and cinnamon. It's carb based, yet not too carb dense, and it tastes like pumpkin pie which will satisfy the craving for sweetness.
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Every day when I get up, I have this horrible urge to eat something carby! It kind of makes sense because bread and such helps with my IBS, but it really drags my body down. And usually it is something sugary and unhealthy.
    What are some suggestions to curb this habit?

What I was doing when I first started trying to lose weight and get intermittent fasting down was making myself a smoothie with a nutribullet in the mornings if I just had uncontrollable cravings.

My smoothie I would make (I don't make them much anymore because I really don't need to as I can easily fast for 36 hours without really feeling much hunger or cravings now) was Kale, Frozen Fruit (a berry blend of sorts, about 150g or so of them), almonds, flax, chia seeds, water and a scoop of vanilla protein powder.

Fats, and proteins to help keep you full longer, fruit for the carbs and sugars, kale for general awesomeness, flax and chia for fiber and omega 3s, and water for volume to make it into a shake consistency and to fake my stomach into feeling full.