Anyone with a injured foot still exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yesterday at the gym a woman was doing "squats" on her knees, with weights. Apparently I looked baffled, because she told me she was recovering from TWO broken feet.
    From the squats she limped on and did a chest press. :-)
    I was impressed.

How was she doing squats on her knees? I would totally love to learn to do that.

That doesn't even sound possible, lol
    LOL. which was probably whyI was staring. She was on her knees, with her butt on the ground between her feet. weights at her shoulders, then she lifted straight up, and got high up on her knees, then went back down to her butt. Seemed like a pretty quad intensive exercise. I was primarily surprised she wasn't on a mat, just on the slightly padded weight room floor.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    By injured I mean you can't walk on it or do any intense workouts on your feet.

I hurt my achilles tendon about 3 months. I went 2 months without working out because all of my workouts consisted of using my feet. Around May, it healed to the point where it "barely" hurt anymore. So I thought it was okay to start working out again. I started with light workouts, 1 - 2 miles of Leslie Sansone once a day, 4 times a week.

3 Weeks later it feels horrible and I have a nasty limp. I know I should have went to the doctor but ever since the whole Obama Care dilemma my insurance company wont even cover my visit until I spend over $3k of my own money in doctor visits. Google is my best friend now. My lesson has been learned, I wont workout on any type of injury until my body has completely healed.

I started to give up and not workout at all..again but then I reminded myself how my weight went no where for the past 2 months.

For workouts, since I can't get on my feet I'll use this time work on my upper body. I do crunches, reverse crunch, pelvic leg lifts, trunk twists, I'm learning to do "girl pushups" properly so I don't have to use my feet, dumbbell workouts for the arms and a tiny bit of squats.

If there is anyone out there with a injured foot, what type of workouts do you do?

Hi there..... Been there....slight mis-step during sprint drills on the track...

You'd be surprised how much you can exercise with one foot out of commission....lol
    Anything seated, like overhead presses, curls, lat pull downs....chinups, pullups, pushups, hanging leg raises....donkey kicks with ankle weights.... I did Jillian Michaels DVDs, all the swings and lifts, but minus the cardio segments....
    Limped into the gym every other day of the week with a lower left leg in all the colors of the rainbow...in a cloud of menthol....
    As it turned out, the continued light training kept my body eager to repair itself, with some help of the occasional Tylenol and plenty of BCAAs, glutamine, and creatine..... It still took a good 6 months before I could actually run or jump again.

To the bikers and swimmers: Nope...not a good idea with this kind of injury.... been there, tried it..... Too much calf-ankle-foot action to peddle the bike, and the water resistance hurts like hell, too....

Be patient, and get well soon!
  • EmbraceFlow
    EmbraceFlow Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Hi there..... Been there....slight mis-step during sprint drills on the track...

You'd be surprised how much you can exercise with one foot out of commission....lol
    Anything seated, like overhead presses, curls, lat pull downs....chinups, pullups, pushups, hanging leg raises....donkey kicks with ankle weights.... I did Jillian Michaels DVDs, all the swings and lifts, but minus the cardio segments....
    Limped into the gym every other day of the week with a lower left leg in all the colors of the rainbow...in a cloud of menthol....
    As it turned out, the continued light training kept my body eager to repair itself, with some help of the occasional Tylenol and plenty of BCAAs, glutamine, and creatine..... It still took a good 6 months before I could actually run or jump again.

To the bikers and swimmers: Nope...not a good idea with this kind of injury.... been there, tried it..... Too much calf-ankle-foot action to peddle the bike, and the water resistance hurts like hell, too....

Be patient, and get well soon!

Thank you so much for that! I actually forgot about taking any type of pain pills. I usually don't take any medicine at all when I'm in pain or for anything so it never came to mind to take any. I've seen Jillian's workouts in the past but I thought for someone who struggles to do push ups it would be too intense for me. You never know until you try so I guess I will I'll buy the 1 day rental online and if I'm capable of doing it then I'll buy the dvd.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Try youtube! Most of them are on there! For free! Start with small dumbbells (water bottles will work, too) until you learn the form of the exercises, and work yourself up! Pushups on your knees!

Good luck! Train safe!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You guys actually make me want to get a bike even though I know I have no room for it lol. I saw these beautiful 50's type bikes at Walmart about a month ago on sale for $60 I believe, if its still there I'll buy it and make it work.

Please don't. Those Walmart bikes are made with cheap components, and worse, they're assembled by employees who have had minimal training in how to assemble bicycles and are pushed to do them as quickly as possible. They can be OK for cruising slowly on a flat road, but I wouldn't trust them on hilly terrain.

You're much better off buying an old mountain bike (ideally one with no suspension, or only a suspension fork in front) from Craigslist or your local classified ads, or a used bike dealer if you have one nearby.