Why is full fat yogurt harder to find?

Options
basschick
basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
I've recently switched from fat-free vanilla flavored yogurt to full fat plain yogurt and I've noticed that the only places that sell full fat yogurt are specialty/natural food/health food stores (like Trader Joe's, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, local co-ops, etc). Why don't regular grocery stores and places like Wal-Mart sell full fat yogurt? They sell whole milk.

Edited to add: It's Greek yogurt that I buy.

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I've never had hat problem. I think groceries stores in my area sell just as much full-fat as low-fat and fat-free yogurts. Lots of organic yogurts too. I guess it depends on the customers where you live, if they don't buy full-fat, the grocer stops selling it.

I'm talking about all the yogurts, including greek.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's strange, I've never had trouble finding whole fat, low fat or fat free even at the smallest groceries around here. It could just be a regional thing for your area.

You could always make your own, if you can't find it in your local grocery. Do a google search, it's pretty easy to make your own yogurt. I used to do it all the time, but don't own a crock pot anymore.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Everyone is still in the fat free craze. It took me like 15 minutes of hunting through the yogurt section in my local grocery before I could find a single brand that sold full fat yogurt. Literally everything else was 2% fat or fat free.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, where I live only 1 place has the 7 to 10% fat yogurts that I consume. Most stores carry 0 or at best 2%. Fat is still feared among the nutritionally unwashed, large institutions and diet industry.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The grocery stores around me that have full fat only carry the large tubs, except one. Makes it hard to find when 99% of the yogurt stocked is no-fat or low fat. I think the posters that say they find it everywhere don't realize that "regular" yogurt isn't full fat. It is usually made from 1-2% or even skim milk with a little cream. Getting yogurt made from whole milk is not very popular so stores can't stock a lot or it would just go bad.

It is a shame that so many people have been brainwashed about fat being bad for so long that it is still hard for them to change even when more mainstream health authorities are saying it is OK to eat.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree it's difficult to find and I am in a large city
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Cabot makes a plain greek yogurt with 10% butter fat that Hannaford carries in the Northeast. Whole milk is about 4%.

It's incredibly thick and rich with no added pectin or stabilizers to artificially thicken it and keep it from separating out. I eat it every day and it's really helped me get enough fat in my diet to drop pounds and build muscle. My body fat percentage has really been dropping steadily since I went full fat to make up my extra calories above my low carb and increased protein targets. I no longer eat reduced fat anything.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    My body fat percentage has really been dropping steadily since I went full fat to make up my extra calories above my low carb and increased protein targets. I no longer eat reduced fat anything.

That's good to hear! I'm trying to reduce my percentage of body fat and have also started eating more fats and fewer carbs.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I saw full fat greek yogurt at safeway yesterday. I bought the fat free one because it has more protein and less kcals. Maybe it's because you're eating flavored yogurt, because I just buy plain yogurt.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Just do the math. If you're eating any version of a primal diet, restrict your carbs to no more than 100 grams a day for weight loss. and restrict those carbs to mostly fruit and vegetables and not sugar and starch. Allow yourself between a half to a gram of protein per lb. of LBM depending on your activity and workout levels and those totals won't add up to all your TDEE calories. Eat the rest as good fats and get your body used to going into fat burning mode for what it needs. Too much sugar and starch is toxic, but fat is needed by the body. Ignore the low fat hype. Good fats are what your body needs.

But, that's not all. Carbs easily and efficiently get converted into glucose so you net 100% of those calories. Your body really doesn't even want to burn protein, since it needs it as nutrients for repairs and building muscle. Ideally you won't burn much if any protein as calories. It either gets used or excreted. If it does get burned as fuel, it's a several step process and you''d net maybe half of the calories converting it into glucose or fat anyway. Your slow twitch muscles burn fat and can use it readily, but if there is an overage, it's also not efficient like carbs, so you'd still only net about 75% of the calories. Cutting back on carbs will burn fat as your primary fuel and any excess calories you get net lower than the total intake.
  • JorisSt
    Options
    Go to a local farm where they have fresh milk products, they are healthy and mostly pure... ok they cost more but its better for your health ;)

Joris S.
    weightloss-tips.eu
  • SkiMummy
    SkiMummy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Move to Switzerland ;-)

Up until a couple of years ago full fat was the only kind around, and these days it is still harder to get low fat options!
    I find this particularly interesting in view of Switzerland's relatively low obesity rate. 'Diet' and low fat foods are still a minority group here.
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I could have asked this question myself! Especially with Greek yogurt. There was one brand, and I can't remember which, that I could find in one grocery store in town that was full fat Greek yogurt, a big tub of it! YUM! But aside from that, it is ALL 0%! Even with the standard yoplait brand, it's hard to find the original ones, the ones that aren't "light" and taste gross with aspartame!

EDIT: Mike_NY mentioned the brand above -- Cabot! Oh, that stuff is divine!
  • Wegottahavethis
    Options
    I went to a thrift store and bought a yogurt maker. Even though I don't do dairy, my family does and this works great. I need to pull it out again, try making some Greek yogurt, kafir, and so on. It's been awhile, but it was easy to do once I found recipes that everyone liked. The secret ingredient to gel it up like commercial was the recipes with gelatin added, instead of dry milk to thicken.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem--trying to find full fat, HFCS-free flavored yogurts for my son (who won't eat Greek yogurt). Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are about the only options around here, too.
  • BiggieDawg
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem. You would expect living next to a major city like Philadelphia that it would be easy to find.
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I live in Detroit metro and it drives me nuts. We've taken to dividing up a big tub of Oikos 2% plain into smaller cups and adding out own sweeteners/fruits etc.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a regional thing. Even our Walmarts sell full fat Fage. There is less stock compared to the fat free versions, but it's always there.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Indian grocers often have full fat yogurt in stock. Stores sell what sells. Every purchase is digitally tracked. They get instant feedback on what needs restocking. Last year hardly anyone sold coconut sugar now you can get it at walmart. My local Kroger carries dannon full fat plain yogurt.
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just do the math. If you're eating any version of a primal diet, restrict your carbs to no more than 100 grams a day for weight loss. and restrict those carbs to mostly fruit and vegetables and not sugar and starch. Allow yourself between a half to a gram of protein per lb. of LBM depending on your activity and workout levels and those totals won't add up to all your TDEE calories. Eat the rest as good fats and get your body used to going into fat burning mode for what it needs. Too much sugar and starch is toxic, but fat is needed by the body. Ignore the low fat hype. Good fats are what your body needs.

But, that's not all. Carbs easily and efficiently get converted into glucose so you net 100% of those calories. Your body really doesn't even want to burn protein, since it needs it as nutrients for repairs and building muscle. Ideally you won't burn much if any protein as calories. It either gets used or excreted. If it does get burned as fuel, it's a several step process and you''d net maybe half of the calories converting it into glucose or fat anyway. Your slow twitch muscles burn fat and can use it readily, but if there is an overage, it's also not efficient like carbs, so you'd still only net about 75% of the calories. Cutting back on carbs will burn fat as your primary fuel and any excess calories you get net lower than the total intake.

Do you even science bro?