Whole 30 thoughts?

Options
Hey Everyone!

I am about to start my first whole 30, July 1st and I am super excited about it! I had the privilege of meeting Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, creators of the Whole30 program/Whole 9 life style and authors of It Starts with Food. Their seminar was amazing! Just was wondering what all your opinions are on it?

Basically, a Whole 30 is when you strip to your basics for 30 days. Cut out all the processed food that you eat and stick with organic proteins, fats, veggies. It detoxes your body from all the added stuff in food. That way after 30 days when you start introducing those foods again, you will know which ones are no good for your body (everyone is different!). So if your body accepts the food even after 30 days of not having it, then it is not causing your body inflammation or any other bad reactions, if it doesn't, then your body was so used to having that food it didnt even know it wasn't good for your body!

for more info go to http://whole30.com/

Thanks in advanced for your opinions!

Replies

• meluhneekay
    Options
    My opinion? I mean, I think it's unnecessary. If you're feeling like crap and think a particular food could be the culprit, you could try an elimination diet and take out one food type at a time. But doing it all at once? How would you know which is the "bad" food?

Also, I don't believe in "real" vs. "fake" food. Just more nutrient dense and less nutrient dense.

Finally, as has been said thousands of times on this forum, your body detoxes itself naturally. That's what you liver and kidneys are for. Unless you have issues with those organs, your body is already taking care of that stuff without any extra help.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i totally get where your coming from.

but say there is one food that causes you inflammation, but your body is so used to eating it because you have ate it since you were a kid that you didn't even know about it!

It explains it all in their book "It starts with food" Basically everything about your body starts with what you are putting into it.

Its only $20 on amazon if you wanna check it out! I highly recommend it!
  • BorntoROAR
    BorntoROAR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Allysa,

Call me crazy but I'm thinking I might do it with you...starting July 1st. I need to prepare. Do you think I could be ready by then????
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wendy sent you a message!
  • awood2785
    awood2785 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on starting on the 1st as well. Although I don't really think I have any food sensitivites, I can see the benefit of cutting out foods to keep me from craving others. I'm really hoping that I see improvements in my sleep quality.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    As someone who eats primal for the vast majority of meals, I don't think I would ever want to attempt a whole30. While I have no issues making my meals at home following primal guidelines with high quality ingredients, I do enjoy a weekly trip to a nice restaurant. And really, trying to maintain any sort of whole30/paleo/primal plan at a restaurant is just setting yourself up for failure.
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between Whole30 and just eating natural whole foods with whole grain carbs?
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am starting the Whole 30 next Monday (for two reasons, one I don't want to have to overthink my 4th of July weekend and two I don't get paid until Saturday before my big trip to Whole Foods.) It's not so much a 'detox' as it is a resetting if you will of the body. You basically cut out the most widely known inflammatory foods (sugar, dairy, grains, legumes) and eat meat, seafood, fruits and veggies. After your 30 days, you reintroduce them slowly and watch how your body reacts. I don't think there is such a thing as a 'bad' food, or a good food for that matter, but everyone's body reacts differently to things. I know I have issues with dairy and sugar. It's almost like an experiment of one to see how I'll do. Will it be challenging? Absolutely. Will I miss my peanut butter and cheese for 30 days? No doubt. But 30 days is only a drop in the lifetime bucket. :bigsmile:
  • tiffiany24
    tiffiany24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on day 24 of my second Whole 30 Challenge and let me tell you...it is life changing! Congrats on giving it a go! I took the challenge to help me over come my addiction to all things sweet. Chocolate has always been my best friend and worst enemy. The challenge has completing changed my cravings and tastes. I feel AMAZING, my sleep is the best it has ever been, I do not miss the carbs or dairy at all...and most importantly...I can survive a menstrual cycle without once bit of chocolate! ;) My first challenge was in April. Between the two challenges I have lost 15 lbs and several inches from my waist, hips, mid section and thighs. I went from a size 8 to a size 6 and could probably fit in a 4 right about now. I didn't increase my activity level...just diet alone. I have tried everything in the past and could never lose the last 15 lbs of baby weight I was holding onto (my youngest is now 2). I was on WW's for a while, tried counting calories, tried to follow a workout regimen...all failed or stalled for numerous reasons a long the way. Whole 30 has changed my life. I will continue to follow a processed food free lifestyle. I will continue to avoid most grains and dairy. Whole 30 has given me the tools I need to make better, healthier decisions when it comes to what I eat.

Good luck to you ladies!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IMO, overly restrictive and probably unnecessary. That said, plenty of people like or need that to succeed, or at least get on the path to success. Bottom line, if you want to do it, do it. Just don't get caught up in the dogma and believe it is the only path to success. Always be flexible in your approach...

Best of luck...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't include pizza, I'm out.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I tried the Whole Life 30 Challenge and quit two days later. Even though the diet wasn't so far off my normal routine, the fact that foods were restricted made me want to eat those foods even more and I wound up bingeing for no other reason than the psychology of it all.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Did it last December, didn't see any difference in the way I felt while during or after when I started reintroducing foods. I just found it to be really stressful. Eating out was a no go. I lost weight mainly because I was eating fewer calories and was retaining less water since I was cooking everything myself and eating less salt.
    Eating what I want in reasonable portions works produces the same weight loss and does it minus the deprivation.