Why do I still hate my body?

Options
I feel like the biggest hypocrite right now! I always, always tell my girl friends that if you would not say something mean and hateful to your best friend about her body do not say it to yourself while looking in the mirror. I am really struggling today! I have lost 37 lbs so far and my goal is 50-55 lbs. I know that there have been significant changes but when I look at a current picture next to an old picture I only see minimal ones. I don't understand why this is. I haven't been at this weight (in the 150's) since my senior year of high school! almost 8 years. And when I started this I said "if only I could get back to what I weighed before I would be happy." But the fact that I am not happy scares me. I want to love my body. I preach that to my friends constantly and I look at them and say/think wow if only I had her tummy or her legs but they aren't happy either. What is wrong with our world?! And anyone else experience this? Any tricks on learning to love yourself? Thanks for listening <3

Replies

• OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same thing. I'm actually struggling to meet my goals because I can't even start to like the body I'm in now. I'm just constantly getting so discouraged and depressed over it. I would like some ideas on how to stay positive too!
  • LesleyL30
    LesleyL30 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness! I struggle with that and have in the past few days been saying "ok I will just never be happy" I have as of today lost almost 47 pounds and though I know I have lost about 4 pant sizes I still am not happy. I lose motivation when I feel not happy. I look at myself and say i'm still not there, I still need to lose x amount. I have surpassed where I originally set my goal. I wonder if I will ever be happy! this is probably the lowest I have weighed since I don't know when, not even high school!
    I am totally right there with you! I don't have any tips or tricks, other than I keep telling myself to stop and try to be happy, stop the negative in my head, though quite honestly it hasn't helped me all that much!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    With many people, the media, Hollywood, fitness magazines, etc. use models and people who have great genetics. The problem is that people are comparing themselves with these people. And that's what you need to stop doing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You may need to reevaluate your goal weight. I don't think you should learn to accept figure flaws. Why not see how you look when you approach or reach your original goal and then decide if you need to continue to lose weight. It may be that you will need to weigh less than you planned on to have the exact figure you want.
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have ups and downs too, I think I know how you feel. I've come so far so fast that when I look in the mirror I still see the work that needs to happen (everything that is wrong) versus what I've been able to accomplish (the good stuff). At some logical level, I know for sure that I've made great progress...but I think (and I hear!) that it takes a bit longer for the self-image to catch up with what is actually going on. I think you look awesome and I think you should really be proud and keep it up. Even when you're not feeling encouraged yourself, who knows how much encouragement & inspiration you may be providing for others. Good luck and thanks for sharing!
  • JulieMarieLopez07
    Options
    I've been there, more times than I can count. You need to read "Love your body, love your life." That book changed me for the better, you can get it on amazon, well worth it. Regardless, you are beautiful, and have come a long way, don't let negative body image control your life.
  • Chelsea_Marinos
    Chelsea_Marinos Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Its so hard when you WANT to love your appearance but you cant make yourself stop nit picking! When I look in the mirror and say "wow your love handles are disgusting" I say "Hey Chelsea, would you say that to Ali or Alaina?" The answer of course is always no but I keep doing it! so frustrating. I guess it just takes time and reminders to ourselves! I wish I was the only one with this problem. I wish you all much success on loving your own body and building the on confidence you've earned on your weight loss journeys! And thanks for your kind words and advice!
  • Chelsea_Marinos
    Options
    I will definitely be buying this book! Thank you!
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Some days I think, "wow, I've got a nice stomach!" or "wow, I look so thin when I turn sideways!" and other days I think "oh damn I'm such a hambeast, people must be disgusted when I wear shorts or tight clothes."

I think self-esteem and body image is always somewhat of a rollercoaster. I think it's normal.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have to really work at valuing myself and not just my appearance. I think this is a common struggle because of our image obsessed world. The only way I know how to do this, is to pick things about me, not just my appearance(but those too) that I genuinely love - my eyes, my smile, my hair, the way I love my family, the way they love me, etc And focus on those. We get so used to being focused on the things we don't like, that we forget to look at what we do. I really think that shifting my focus is key in helping me to accept me. There are things right now, that are awesome about you. Focus on those and maybe, just maybe, the other stuff won't seem so big anymore. You sound great to me. :)
  • Chelsea_Marinos
    Options
    I have ups and downs too, I think I know how you feel. I've come so far so fast that when I look in the mirror I still see the work that needs to happen (everything that is wrong) versus what I've been able to accomplish (the good stuff). At some logical level, I know for sure that I've made great progress...but I think (and I hear!) that it takes a bit longer for the self-image to catch up with what is actually going on. I think you look awesome and I think you should really be proud and keep it up. Even when you're not feeling encouraged yourself, who knows how much encouragement & inspiration you may be providing for others. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Thank you!! Your post has really helped me <3
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm not even comparing myself to celebrities. I'm comparing myself to old me and i liked what she looked like better. At a normal weight i look like a holocaust victim because of the gross saggy skin of a 310 pound person hanging on a 140 pound body. I looked way better fat. Lol
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Some days I think, "wow, I've got a nice stomach!" or "wow, I look so thin when I turn sideways!" and other days I think "oh damn I'm such a hambeast, people must be disgusted when I wear shorts or tight clothes."

I think self-esteem and body image is always somewhat of a rollercoaster. I think it's normal.

This happens to me too. Literally yesterday I looked in the mirror and thought "wow looking good sexy!" Then I went shopping and started trying on summer shorts and dresses and I was like..."What happened?! How does it look like you gained 40 pounds in a matter of hours! I can never wear shorts this summer that is for sure!"
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think there is the mental aspect that can be a hurdle (to love your body at whatever weight you may be and whatever size, shape ect). So there's that. But there's also an additional component that often gets overlooked by women, which is weightlifting. The media teaches women that they need to diet and do tons of cardio and lose a ton of weight in order to feel good about themselves, which is simply untrue. I've done that and even being at a very low weight I was still unhappy with my body. It wasn't until I started weightlifting, eating more, and putting on muscle mass that I actually started to love my body and it's new shape- stronger and not as weak, frail, and flabby. And even if you still have weight you want to lose, you can still lift weights of course. I think that really is a key component to building a stronger body that you feel more confident in. And when I say weightlifting I mean heavy weights.
  • Chelsea_Marinos
    Options
    You may need to reevaluate your goal weight. I don't think you should learn to accept figure flaws. Why not see how you look when you approach or reach your original goal and then decide if you need to continue to lose weight. It may be that you will need to weigh less than you planned on to have the exact figure you want.

I don't think so much that I want to accept my figure flaws as much as I want to be proud of my progress and not afraid to wear shorts and a tank top when I go running. I see someone who is obese when I am just over weight.I think 140 is a good goal for someone 5'7 but that doesn't mean when I get there I will stop working on toning and making improvements or go back to eating junk and sitting on the couch. Thank you for your inspiration and advice :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal. We just have to remember that we are all built differently and keep working for what we want. I sometimes feel like I'll never be happy and there will always be something I need to improve.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I see women 100+ lbs. heavier than me that look beautiful and a lot more comfortable in their own skin. Or, perhaps they look more comfortable in their clothes? I can't bear to wear a swimsuit (I honestly have never felt comfortable wearing a swimsuit in public, no matter how *thin* I've been), but plenty of women don't have this problem. It seems to me that half the battle is dressing appropriately for your body shape/size. Other than that, I judge myself more by my work/life accomplishments than my body shape. If I am kicking butt at my job (and life), I don't feel too worried about not being a supermodel. After all, I don't get paid to be a supermodel. :laugh:
  • tanyah2401
    Options
    Ready to reach your GOALS? If you're ready to help yourself I can help you lose weight, tone muscle, obtain more ENERGY! Ask Me How? I'm READY to help you now! You can contact me at www.goherbalife.com/thedgepeth. Want to burn 80 calories just by drinking Great Tasting Herbal Teas (peach, raspberry, lemon )? I can show you results from people I actually see daily!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Welcome to every person in the history of ever.
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ~ ~ bump ~ ~