Is it okay for me to diet like this?

Options
I am pretty new to this whole diet and exercise thing and I need help.
So about a year ago I was officially diagnosed with hyperthyroidism(which causes weight loss despite increased appetite). Even though I was officially diagnosed with it a year ago I have had it for years and as a result I developed very bad eating habits, I would eat a lot and still not gain weight. I was around 170lbs when I was diagnosed. Recently I have been undergoing treatment and I have been getting better but the down side to it is that I have gained 50lbs because of my bad eating habits. Now I am trying to loose the weight and I am about 204lbs. Even though I exercise 3 times a week I feel like I don't loose weight if I eat my recommended calorie intake (1476 calories a day). Is it okay if I eat 1,000-1,200 a day without eating back the calories I lost from exercising? I burn off about 500 calories when I exercise. I feel pretty full eating 1,100 -1,200 calories a day. My ultimate goal weight is 115. By the way I am 5'3 and 20 years old.

Here is what I eat:
Breakfast
Special K Cereal and Milk (300 calories)

Lunch
A beef sandwich(245 calories)
2 cups of popcorn (74 calories)
Fruit Cup(70 calories)
A fudge Popsicle(40 calories) or granola bar(90 calories)

Dinner
A beef sandwich(245 calories)
2 cups of popcorn(74 calories)
Fruit cup(70 calories)
Fudge Popsicle(40 calories) or a granola bar(90 calories)

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    no
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, you obviously know the answer. No !
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    no

How many of the calories should I eat back from exercising? Or should I eat the recommended amount even if I am full?
    Like I said I am pretty new to this dieting and exercising thing and I don't know what I should do......
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No, it's not okay. It's not enough calories. 1200 NET is the absolute minumum you should be eating. You should eat back your exercise calories, too. All of them.

Pro tip: It's generally agreed upon that MFP overestimates calories burned, so I recommend you record about 2/3 of your actual exercise, and eat all of those calories back.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Set up your MFP account to tell you how many calories you should be eating for your height and weight along with your activity level. The app will tell you what you should be eating based on all of that. Then follow what MFP suggests, get plenty of exercise and drink lots of water. That's how I've lost every single pound so far.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Set up your MFP account to tell you how many calories you should be eating for your height and weight along with your activity level. The app will tell you what you should be eating based on all of that. Then follow what MFP suggests, get plenty of exercise and drink lots of water. That's how I've lost every single pound so far.

This. Plus - you need to add some fresh fruit and vegetables to your plan. Eating the same thing for lunch and dinner will last about 3 days and then you will want other foods. You need to vary your menus so that you have a variety of food.

I'm guessing at your height/weight MFP has you at 1200 calories a day. Plan on that (or whatever number they give you) and eat all of the calories (+/- 5%).

If you are measuring calories burned with an HRM - eat them all back. If you are using MFP estimates I'd error on the cautious side and eat back about half. In my experience MFP is overly generous in the amount of calories they say a person burns.

Finally - this is NOT a diet. Look at it as a healthy lifestyle. If your food and exercise plan are sustainable for the rest of your life - at your goal weight you know it's right.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    no

How many of the calories should I eat back from exercising? Or should I eat the recommended amount even if I am full?
    Like I said I am pretty new to this dieting and exercising thing and I don't know what I should do......

Okay take a look at the fourth post down here. She gave a bunch of examples on how you could add calorie dense items to bring up your daily calorie totals without necessarily adding more volume to your food

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1331494-1200-calories-per-day

Only thing you may wish to consider is how long you can keep this up. Using a higher daily calorie target available to you could mean being able to fit more of the foods you like, and not feeling like you're on a very restrictive diet
  • Makterbro
    Options
    No, it's not okay. It's not enough calories. 1200 NET is the absolute minumum you should be eating. You should eat back your exercise calories, too. All of them.

Pro tip: It's generally agreed upon that MFP overestimates calories burned, so I recommend you record about 2/3 of your actual exercise, and eat all of those calories back.

Okay, Thank You
    :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of junk food. Try switching to healthier eating.

http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    no

Eat back most of them, depending on how you're estimating calorie burn. If you're relying solely on the MFP exercise database, or exercise machines, then just be aware that they may be very inaccurate. Perhaps post here how much you think you're burning and people can advise on whether it seems realistic. You should definitely be eating at least some of them though. That's how MFP is set up to work. It gives you a calorie goal based on your normal daily activity level - but not including actual workouts. If it did include those, it would have given you a higher goal to start with.

Which brings us to your base calorie goal. No, that doesn't sound anywhere near enough. Thing is, feeling full or hungry isn't really a good indicator of how much your body needs. You'd be amazed at the amount of people who severely undereat saying "I feel full, I couldn't possibly stuff any more food in". Equally, the amount of people still over-eating who still feel really hungry. Hunger/apetite is very complicated, and has to do with hormones, including ghrelin and leptin. Lots of things can affect hunger, including the types of food you eat. Under-eating over time can actually suppress your appetite too.

If you carry on eating at that level, you're going to start having energy problems. You're not going to be able to get the most out of your workouts. You'll end up tired and irritable. Your body will start slowing down non-essential processes to adjust to having such a low level of calories. If you do it for a while, you could really start disrupting your hormonal processes. This is particularly relevant since you already have issues with your thyroid. You might have problems with your hair and skin. You may well find that you lose a lot of lean mass that you shouldn't do - basically muscle mass and bone density. Both really important things to hang onto. Later on... it's going to be a lot harder to maintain your weight once you've dropped muscle mass.

Given that you have a fair bit to lose (according to your ticker) and have fat stored, you may "get away with" a larger calorie deficit for a while, but it's really not to be recommended. Ideally, you should set MFP up to lose 2 lbs a week (for now) - follow the goal it gives you (which is not 1000 calories) and eat at least 2/3 of your exercise calories back. (and by the way - people talk of how inaccurate calorie burn estimates can be, but I've always eaten all of mine back, and always lost at the rate I expected.)

Check your progress for a few weeks. If you're losing about 2 lbs a week, keep at it. If you're losing more, then maybe eat a bit more. This isn't a race. This is something that is going to last your whole life, not just the months it takes you to reach your goal weight. Learn now how to manage your weight in a healthy way, and that will prepare you for the long slog of weight maintenance. You say you're new to dieting - well do this right, and you'll only have to do it (the losing phase) once. Don't be one of the millions of people who start their lifetime of yo-yo dieting in their 20s.
  • Makterbro
    Options

This. Plus - you need to add some fresh fruit and vegetables to your plan. Eating the same thing for lunch and dinner will last about 3 days and then you will want other foods. You need to vary your menus so that you have a variety of food.

I'm guessing at your height/weight MFP has you at 1200 calories a day. Plan on that (or whatever number they give you) and eat all of the calories (+/- 5%).

If you are measuring calories burned with an HRM - eat them all back. If you are using MFP estimates I'd error on the cautious side and eat back about half. In my experience MFP is overly generous in the amount of calories they say a person burns.

Finally - this is NOT a diet. Look at it as a healthy lifestyle. If your food and exercise plan are sustainable for the rest of your life - at your goal weight you know it's right.
    I am afraid that if I start eating different things then my eating will go out of control, it's weird but eating the same thing works for me. I will add apples and bananas in between meals to boost my calorie intake. Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it, I was so lost about the whole 'eating back the calories from exercise' thing.
  • Makterbro
    Options

The beef is lean, the popcorn is low fat, the fruit cups are made with100% real fruit juice, and the Fudge Popsicles are sugar free.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is popcorn your idea of a nutritionally varied diet that includes vegetables?

Here is a reasonable good source to start learning the basics of nutrition.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Nutrition-Basics_UCM_461228_Article.jsp
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

The beef is lean, the popcorn is low fat, the fruit cups are made with100% real fruit juice, and the Fudge Popsicles are sugar free.
    You asked for advice. Mine is to eat healthier. The link provides an awesome overview of how to do it. :)

If you don't want to, don't! It's all about what you want. Do whatever makes you happy. :)
  • Tawniey
    Tawniey Posts: 10
    Options

You asked for advice. Mine is to eat healthier. The link provides an awesome overview of how to do it. :)

If you don't want to, don't! It's all about what you want. Do whatever makes you happy. :)

Except... I just looked at that link and there was literally nothing about it that seems like it would help in this situation. If you looked at what the OP was talking about, they eat lean protein, servings of grain, servings of fruit, servings of corn which is clearly air popped without oil given the calorie count, and they have a fudge popsicle as a treat.
    The link says to eat vegetables, which corn is (although it does occupy the weird space between a grain and a veggie), eat whole grains, switch to fat free milk, eat protein, eat reduced sodium food, drink water instead of soda, eat seafood and cut back on solid fat. These are substitution tips and not nutritional help.

Here's my advice, OP.
    If you are eating too few calories a day, and your metabolism already runs fast, it is possible that you have put your body into starvation mode, which will cause it to hold onto all excess calories as fat. Try setting your calorie goal to drop .5 lbs a week so that it won't shock your body to go from your typical eating habits to a large decrease. When you exercise, make sure you're eating most of your calories back. You should never be eating any less than 1200 calories per day, and with hyperthyroid, it might be higher. You may need to talk to your doctor. JesterMFP had some solid advice too.
  • Makterbro
    Options

I read it and I found it pretty useful and I appreciate you help! :)
    I don't like vegetables but I guess I can try carrots and dressing. I also like potatoes.
    I have tried eating whole grain stuff before(pasta, bread, rice ect.) but I don't like it. I guess I'm just just to used to the unhealthy stuff. I definitely have a lot of room for improvement in the whole grain department.
    When it comes to meat I am confused. What do they mean by 'leaner meat'? What would be the difference between regular chicken and lean chicken or regular beef and lean beef?
    Another problem I have is that I am a terrible cook so I usually buy foods that are very easy to prepare without the need of cooking anything. I need to change that habit also.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options

I read it and I found it pretty useful and I appreciate you help! :)
    I don't like vegetables but I guess I can try carrots and dressing. I also like potatoes.
    I have tried eating whole grain stuff before(pasta, bread, rice ect.) but I don't like it. I guess I'm just just to used to the unhealthy stuff. I definitely have a lot of room for improvement in the whole grain department.
    When it comes to meat I am confused. What do they mean by 'leaner meat'? What would be the difference between regular chicken and lean chicken or regular beef and lean beef?
    Another problem I have is that I am a terrible cook so I usually buy foods that are very easy to prepare without the need of cooking anything. I need to change that habit also.

I think with the "leaner" protein it means like eating the white meat of chicken vs. dark meat. (chicken breast is lower fat, while say a chicken thigh is higher in fat) and for beef different cuts have less fat than others, or in ground beef simply like 10% fat meat vs. 25% fat.
  • Makterbro
    Options

Except... I just looked at that link and there was literally nothing about it that seems like it would help in this situation. If you looked at what the OP was talking about, they eat lean protein, servings of grain, servings of fruit, servings of corn which is clearly air popped without oil given the calorie count, and they have a fudge popsicle as a treat.
    The link says to eat vegetables, which corn is (although it does occupy the weird space between a grain and a veggie), eat whole grains, switch to fat free milk, eat protein, eat reduced sodium food, drink water instead of soda, eat seafood and cut back on solid fat. These are substitution tips and not nutritional help.

Here's my advice, OP.
    If you are eating too few calories a day, and your metabolism already runs fast, it is possible that you have put your body into starvation mode, which will cause it to hold onto all excess calories as fat. Try setting your calorie goal to drop .5 lbs a week so that it won't shock your body to go from your typical eating habits to a large decrease. When you exercise, make sure you're eating most of your calories back. You should never be eating any less than 1200 calories per day, and with hyperthyroid, it might be higher. You may need to talk to your doctor. JesterMFP had some solid advice too.

I just started this diet a couple days ago so I hope I haven''t put my body into starvation mode just yet ):
    I have an appointment with my endocrine doctor scheduled and I'll definitely ask him about if my thyroid affects the amount of calories I should be eating if I want to loose weight.
    Thanks for the advice! :)