Fitbit, Jawbone, Fit Force, Etc.....

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on which 24 hour fitness tracker I should purchase? I also need a watch capability, for myself and the best option for women, so I can purchase one for my wife.

Replies

• georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what features you're looking for in an activity tracker. Most of the 24-hour fitness trackers such as Jawbone and Fitbit Flex are pedometers with some accessory features.

Have you considered a heart rate monitor at all to determine your calorie burn over workouts? I'm a fan of the HRMs by Polar, great quality product!

Personally, I purchased a BodyBugg years ago and I still use it today. It determines your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) based upon your average METs (metabolic equivalents = the amount of energy required to perform a physical task). It also tracks your steps taken, sleep quality, and syncs with myfitnesspal.

There are a few products coming onto the market soon that track your TDEE based on your heart rate, skin temperature, pulse oximeter, etc. (ex: https://amiigo.com/) and are more than just a "glorified pedometer". Figure out what features are most important to you and then determine which device meets most of those qualifications--- what works for some won't cut it for others. Good luck!
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit zip, hooks onto my bra all day (I'm making this recommendation for your wife, obviously!) Its cheap ($50), doesn't require charging, and it isn't obvious to other people that you're wearing it. I've also heard great things about the other fitbits for the wrists, but I've also heard the zip is the most accurate of pretty much all the pedometers
  • deblite335
    Options
    I use the Striiv. It's a little different - not only does it count daily steps, stairs, running steps, calories, etc. It also has a game integrated into it where you get energy points for every step, etc. You start with an empty island, and with the energy you earn through movement and exercise, you plant trees and plants, build buildings and earn animals. It's fun and for lots of people very motivating (your wife might enjoy it!) It also links to your computer, and shows you averages, personal bests, etc. Check it out on the Striiv website.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex & really like it. I've had it since February and had no issues. I like how easy it is to use on any device and how easy it is to sync with MFP - but the same can probably be said of others. I wanted a Jawbone UP until I got into the store & saw how big they are - they're really thick, and I think wearing something like that on your wrist would be uncomfortable if you're someone who spends a lot of time on a computer, which I do as a student.

As others have said, it really just depends on what you want. I think all of the devices on the market right now are great, they just have different features and you would have to decide what exactly you want and go from there.
  • kliermann
    kliermann Posts: 514
    Options
    I appreciate all the help, I wasn't looking for just a pedometer I was looking for something to monitor my heart rate as well but I checked out each of these products and the strive looks pretty awsome and its cheap So I may try both just the pedometer and the sports watch for heart rate monitoring.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There isn't really a product that is a combo heart rate monitor and 24 hour activity tracker in one. There are some that do spot pulse checks, like the Withings Pulse and Basis. But that's not really the same as what a HRM does. The Polar Loop is probably the closest but it's two devices to buy so you may as well buy any tracker plus HRM, in my opinion (plus it has some dismal reviews).