Gained weight in a deficit??

Options
I'm up 2lbs again, but it knew that before I stepped on the scale as I felt heavy, can sore muscles create weight gain? I drank my water and ate at a deficit yesterday! I did not work out but I did everything else right??

Replies

• db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Try using the scale once a month, you'll have a lot less stress.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Your profile picture is upside down.
  • CeriGrindrod
    CeriGrindrod Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh every morning thanks
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options
    Hmm
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options
    Your profile picture is upside down.
    I was born like that
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A normal daily fluctuation this can vary up to 5 pounds in some people. If your going to get stressed over these don't weigh daily as you'll drive yourself crazy
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Again? How often does this happen?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    It doesn't always work that way. Perhaps do the same as you did today & weigh yourself again tomorrow?

Don't let the scales control you, they will mess with your head.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A normal daily fluctuation this can vary up to 5 pounds in some people. If your going to get stressed over these don't weigh daily as you'll drive yourself crazy

But she prefers the stress ;-)
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not exact science as much as we try to make it. Don't worry, I'm sure you didn't gain any real weight.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Sore muscles can mean that your cortizol level are high. You are probably retaining water. Unless you ate 7000 calories yesterday you didn't gain 2 lbs. You simply are holding the water. Drink more water. Rest your body. And stop stressing!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What you are seeing is weight flucuation from undigested food or water retention from exercise. For a variety of reasons weight can vary quiet a bit. It isn't a weight "gain" of fat but just the normal variation.

You can either not track so closely and just see changes over larger period or track more regularly and not worry about these variations as you look at the overall long term trend.
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options

But she prefers the stress ;-)

Ok lol I wasn't trying to offend anyone here I was just stating my preference, we are all different lol
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options
    Absolutely. Sore muscles can mean that your cortizol level are high. You are probably retaining water. Unless you ate 7000 calories yesterday you didn't gain 2 lbs. You simply are holding the water. Drink more water. Rest your body. And stop stressing!!!
    Thanks I hope not, I really want to lose 20lb by september, not looking likely as I've been aiming for a 2lb loss per week and that still has not happened :-( just 1lb per week for the last 3 weeks
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say was fatdoob did in a nutshell, however he already covered it. My weight fluctuates a lot in a day. I am by no means an expert, so you can take my advice or leave it, but I did a lot of homework with this same issue and it helped my understanding a lot! If you have to weigh yourself every morning, some things will help you not stress.
    1) do it first thing in the morning. I even do it after I go to the bathroom. 2) If you have to, record the weight daily.. (I don't recommend it because of the stress but some people can't help it I guess.) Then, average it at the end of the week and that will be your check-in weight.
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You can't rely on today's weight to accurately represent yesterday's deficit. Weight fluctuates. Weigh yourself daily if you want, but you should really be using Sunday (or pick another day's)'s reading as compared to last Sunday's.

Also, did you set MFP to "lose 2lbs/week?" If so, weigh your food. You're probably underestimating. And exercise more!
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hold on, I just checked your food diary... Are you seriously only eating 500 calories a day? If so, no wonder you're having trouble! That's not enough! Your daily goal is 1490 for a reason. Stay between 1200 and your goal.
  • supratt
    supratt Posts: 33
    Options
    Hold on, I just checked your food diary... Are you seriously only eating 500 calories a day? If so, no wonder you're having trouble! That's not enough! Your daily goal is 1490 for a reason. Stay between 1200 and your goal.

Was just about to say the same thing. Your food diary is very troubling, if true. And if it's not true (i.e. it's incomplete or inaccurate) it's not much help to you.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    OP didn't gain weight because she didn't eat enough.

If you want to weigh every day, you should track your weight in a spreadsheet or app and look at the trend over time rather than fixate on a particular day's weight. Yesterday, my deficit was well over 1000, but I "gained" 1.6 pounds between yesterday morning and this morning. My weight's trend is still very strongly downward.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh every morning thanks

If every little normal fluctuaction bothers you, then you are not a good candidate for daily weigh-ins. The solution really is to weigh less often.