workout shoes suggestions.....??

Options
Okay weird question but hope someone can help or might know.So I love working out but lately it seems that my feet REALLY hurt after working out. Now I am thinking that maybe it might be my tennis shoes. Last year I headed to Big 5 and just bought a pair. I think I recall they were walking shoes...but am not sure. I was wondering if that might be the problem.... for working out do I need a specific shoe? In the spring and summer I walk/jog/run. I've been doing taebo, weight and sculpting, ZUMBA, and am starting Turbofire. I love it but by the end I can feel my feet hurting so much that it hurts to fit into other shoes (especially heels) and even going barefoot hurts. This has become worse since I started working out daily. I am not sure if it is the shoes or not or just a problem I need to see with the Dr. about my feet. I do have a bunion and that seems to be what is irritated the worse and the other side next to my small toe. So again it could be my toe. I wanted to first try and see if maybe I should get a new pair of shoes and what I kind I need to workout? Is there a specific kind? walking? running? etc. What do you use? Thanks in Advance!!

Replies

• kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of sketchers shape ups and they are the most comfy trainers I've owned. I don't know how appropriate they would be for working out but they are great for walking
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Crosstrainers I would say. I have wide feet (my toes get squished too!), and I love my Asics. They fit like a glove and they are wide enough for my big fee.

Go to a sports store and be fitted. They can measure any pronation or high/low arch problems and give you shoes to correct it. Budget about 100$ for a good pair :smile:
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was reading an article last year about how long a pair of shoes should last. They 'experts' in this article said that if you are really putting a work out into your shoes they will last 3 months. Unfortunately I found that to be true for allot of my shoes. Then I went to.................www.footsmart.com............. and tried a pair of their spira shoes. They come in all kinds of sizes. They are made with springs in the front and the back. They are so awesome! And they last a long time.Footsmart also has allot of foot problem solvers. I buy a needed insert for my shoe from them. To make a long story short, I am supposedly prescribed an insert for my shoe. Here is the stupid thing...I have to go and get that prescription 'renewed' if I wanted to make the army pay for them. Their reasoning is that I might get addicted. NO JOKE! Oddly enough my one leg did not magically grow and my back did not straighten. Besides, their inserts really kinda...suck..lol
    Go to the site and check them out. It is really helpful. Let me know how it goes ;-] Add me if you want ;-]
    jac
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I use Ryka brand shoes--they are the first shoes I've ever had that are comfortable! I have a bunion on my left foot and my big toe curves inward, so shoes can be horrible, but these are amazing!
  • spayne_4
    spayne_4 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Crosstrainers I would say. I have wide feet (my toes get squished too!), and I love my Asics. They fit like a glove and they are wide enough for my big fee.

Go to a sports store and be fitted. They can measure any pronation or high/low arch problems and give you shoes to correct it. Budget about 100$ for a good pair :smile:

hmm... what sport store would be the best to go to? I was wondering if I could go get fitted and was thinking of doing so. I think we have a Big 5 here and sports authority. I'll check thanks!
  • spayne_4
    spayne_4 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was reading an article last year about how long a pair of shoes should last. They 'experts' in this article said that if you are really putting a work out into your shoes they will last 3 months. Unfortunately I found that to be true for allot of my shoes. Then I went to.................www.footsmart.com............. and tried a pair of their spira shoes. They come in all kinds of sizes. They are made with springs in the front and the back. They are so awesome! And they last a long time.Footsmart also has allot of foot problem solvers. I buy a needed insert for my shoe from them. To make a long story short, I am supposedly prescribed an insert for my shoe. Here is the stupid thing...I have to go and get that prescription 'renewed' if I wanted to make the army pay for them. Their reasoning is that I might get addicted. NO JOKE! Oddly enough my one leg did not magically grow and my back did not straighten. Besides, their inserts really kinda...suck..lol
    Go to the site and check them out. It is really helpful. Let me know how it goes ;-] Add me if you want ;-]
    jac

Okay that helps a lot thank you !! I will check the site out now! Wow a prescription eh?? wow! I will add you thanks
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Definitely look at a cross trainer. Walking/Running shoes are specifically for that type of activity. Cross trainers help to stablize your feet when doing many different types of activity. I know from experience. I started working out back in October and shortly after, my heels started to hurt. I discovered that I have plantar fasciitis. The shoe brand recommended for that is New Balance. Check online they will cost around $100+, but oh so worth it. Shoes wear out between 3 - 6 months if you are running/walking or areobic activity. You can pick up a pair of SuperFeet $40 inserts to put in your existing shoes if they are still in good condition and that should help too. I did the latter because my shoes were still pretty good.

Hope this helps.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics. They give me so much support and they have so much cushion.
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, make sure whatever brand style shoes you buy that they fit properly, and that you wear good work out socks. Based on your broad range of activities sounds as if a cross trainer would be best for you. However if you are going to do a lot of walking or running get a pair just for that. Remember that if your feet are un happy all of you is un happy. look up Otomix shoes they make the very best. Also easier to find New Balances, check the website and look into prorper fit based on your needs.
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ops one last thing, most people hold on to shoes to long, life span of a gym shoe is you use it 5-6 times a week is about 6-9 months, so it's best to have two pairs so you can let the shoe rest between uses. by the way I am a CPT so this is not just what I think, it's what I;ve trained for.