I only have to gain 10-ish pounds! Will I look different?

Options
I know partially I can answer this question on my own, but I need support and reassurance so I can go brave this beautiful day. Last summer I was like 98 pounds, maybe 95, and now I am 85. 100 is a good place for me to be with my BMI, per doctor recommendation. I look pretty much the same as then, which is good, cause it means I can potentially gain and look like me, it's just I lost a bit of muscle mass. Now on the gaining with a dietician, I want to get to a healthy weight and get my period back, but I don't want to experience all this 'uneven distribution' of fat people are talking about. For instance, I read on one site/blog that someone had a huge face for two years and a 'pregnant belly' for 6 months before it evened out. If that aint a trigger, I don't know what is.

So my question is, does this only apply to someone who must gain like 30 pounds? My dietitian says that my muscles, organs, and fat cells will receive nourishment, but evenly, despite what I eat. This leads me to believe these posters online are on a different bandwagon. Maybe they are gaining so much fat because they are way more skinny and malnourished than myself? I am not bad enough to go into a hospital or anything, nor have my electrolytes or organs (heart, liver, etc) been damaged cause I've been checked many times. So will my weight gain be less dramatic? i hope so, otherwise I'm gonna probably chicken out. I don't want a huge belly like they are describing for 6 months or whatever. Do you think 10 pounds gained is much less dramatic? Do you think I will look the same? Please help! I'm panicking and can't leave my room till i get a straight answer.:sad:

Replies

• bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    didnt read your rant. but unless you do some sort of physical exercise during your 10 lb bulk, youll be gaining mostly if not all fat. it will be noticeable to yourself but not others

also dont know how tall you are. if youre above 5'3, you should just eat regardless.
  • Meepaleep
    Meepaleep Posts: 2
    Options
    Assuming your height is below average, you should definately notice changes personally. Whether others will double-take or not, I doubt it.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Honey. A pregnant belly has a person inside it. A very small person, but a person nonetheless. There's just no way ten pounds looks like a pregnant belly.

You are taking the word of people who have a distorted vision of themselves as truth, and it's just not. They don't see what actually is. I hope that in addition to the dietician you are seeing a therapist who can help you with how you feel and think about this. I'm very sorry it's causing you such anxiety.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Going by this and the OP's posts on these forums there is a lot of obsessing going on. I don't believe the OP is doing herself any favours by being here or on the internet at all. If I am not mistaken some of the OP's posts have been deleted by the moderators already.

You are not going to get answers you like on these forums and I don't believe MFP or a large number of the responsers is/are equipped to deal with your issues and obsessiveness.
  • Cartoobee
    Cartoobee Posts: 23
    Options
    Honey. A pregnant belly has a person inside it. A very small person, but a person nonetheless. There's just no way ten pounds looks like a pregnant belly.

You are taking the word of people who have a distorted vision of themselves as truth, and it's just not. They don't see what actually is. I hope that in addition to the dietician you are seeing a therapist who can help you with how you feel and think about this. I'm very sorry it's causing you such anxiety.

thanks
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Also, you shouldn't obsess about this. You'll gain 10 pounds and you'll look 10 pounds heavier, which, in your case, is a good and necessary thing, since 85 pounds is not a healthy weight for anyone except the ridiculously short. No matter what you think you'll look like, you need to gain at least 10 pounds, so eat more food until you do, and try to remember that this is necessary for your health.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    didnt read your rant. but unless you do some sort of physical exercise during your 10 lb bulk, youll be gaining mostly if not all fat. it will be noticeable to yourself but not others

also dont know how tall you are. if youre above 5'3, you should just eat regardless.

you complete moron bro get out of here i am a recovering underweight teenage girl not a freakish muscular 20 something who wants to lift. don't read it? THEN DONT ANSWER

First things first:
    so inappropriate.
    and please do not insult people who DO like to lift and be muscular- we are not freaks- and women are allowed to be muscular. You might want to revist your definition of freak.

secondly- he's right
    Unless you are lifting- you are going to gain purely fat.
    And to answer your question maybe. since you're smaller- 10 pounds will make a bigger difference- at 160 pounds 10-15 pounds on me is not noticeable to anyone else much- but my clothes don't fit well (or at all) and when I LOSE the 10 pounds- EVERYONE notices because it comes off my waist first.

I would suggest you talk to your health care professional about lifting- and talk to someone who DEALS with athletes (a high end sports medicine doctor). It's rare that doing some form of resistance training isn't a good idea- but this might be one of them.

Thirdly- muscles on women are can be extremely sexy... and putting muscle on as a woman does not mean you turn into a body builder. It means you turn into something more like this
    ce3f5ca5-6ff1-4ae3-a23a-ebb5bf4eda78_zps6d3e1c7e.jpg

same person
    ]49a62d8a-c88a-4df9-88c7-965818f5d6b6_zps7fb7e0d5.jpg
    it's laughable hard to put on muscle as a woman- so don't worry about it.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

you complete moron bro get out of here i am a recovering underweight teenage girl not a freakish muscular 20 something who wants to lift. don't read it? THEN DONT ANSWER

How old are you? That's not a very adult response. This is a website for adults.

His advice was sound. He didn't need to read your rant to offer sound advice on whether gaining 10 pounds would make a noticeable difference in your appearance.

If you lift weights and add muscle, it won't make a huge difference in appearance. If you sit on your teenage butt, it will. It's as simple as that.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude, just being honest - seeing the numerous threads that you post day after day really raises the red flag that you need actual help, not help from people on My Fitness Pal forums.

Just my two cents.