Dumb question. How do you measure fruit and veggies ?

Options
Scale or measuring cup. Scale gives you such a larger portion I just wanted to be sure that is correct.

Replies

• Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I weigh all mine using scales, I pretty much do that with all my food and liquid I use a measuring jug. that way I know my calorie intake is bang on.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Weigh solids, measure liquids.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use a measuring cup or size (e.g., medium), or quantity ( e.g., 10 grape tomatoes.)
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, although I'm not in the US so I don't use the cups method anyway. It's more precise and with cups you could squeeze stuff into it (or not) or if the veggies are smaller then more will fit into a cup so 'one cup' will vary a lot.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    just measure in grams and be done with it, veggies and salads don't need to be exact other then the vitamins and minerals there's not much calories in them anyway
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything on my food scale.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not a dumb question at all. You will do best to weigh. "Medium" is subjective. The grape tomatoes at the local Food Giant are much smaller than the grape tomatoes at Costco, so counting isn't a good measure either. Weigh your solids and you will know exactly what you're putting into your body. While it's true that the veggies are low in cals, it's always best to be as accurate as possible.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Scale for sure. I recently bought a digital scale and it is amazing how different the measurements can be. Weighing is more accurate because they just give you an approximate volume on things. For instance, my cottage cheese says 1/2 cup as opposed to what is more like 3/8 of a cup because who is going to measure out 3/8 of a cup of something? It really only matters a lot of calorie dense foods anyway, something like lettuce I don't worry about too much.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Weigh solids, measure liquids.

^^THIS^^
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I use a measuring cup or size (e.g., medium), or quantity ( e.g., 10 grape tomatoes.)
    Size means nothing. I used to log some apples as small. Then I weighed one. My small apple weighed almost 6oz, with the core removed...yet the small apple in the database has the calories equal to about 3oz of apple. A 3oz apple is just slightly larger than a golf ball. (Tiny!) This isn't a big deal with some things, like tomatoes, bc the calories are so low to begin with but, for calorie dense choices like apples, bananas, avocado, etc, weighing is the only way to be accurate.

Not a fruit/veggie but same issue...I used to count cashew nuts, 22 per 1oz serving. Well, apparently I buy large cashews, lol, bc it only took 15 to get me to 1oz when I started to weigh them.

When someone has more weight to lose, this isn't as big a deal, because there's more room for error. As we lose weight, and our caloric needs decrease, this becomes much more important.