Gaining Weight By Walking?

Options
Hi All..

I am under my calorie count by at least 200-300 calories on an ongoing 7 day trending pattern.

With the recent good weather, I decided to take on walking 2-3 days a week for about 10 minutes in the past couple of weeks.

I weigh myself religiously every Monday morning when I wake up. Since I added walking to my weekly routine, I have gained 1-2 pounds each week.

Can a person gain 1-2 pounds by adding a leisurely walking to their routine? ugh!

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Do you know FOR SURE you are eating at a deficit? Are you logging and weighing everything? And are you eating enough? (Meaning MORE than 1200)

edited for dumb typo
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating a calorie surplus, no. It's most likely water weight, if you aren't eating at a surplus.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Can a person gain 1-2 pounds by adding a leisurely walking to their routine? ugh!

Unless you're walking to someplace like McDonald's or Dairy Queen, no.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    No. Adding walking to your routine will not make you gain weight. However, sometimes being outside when it's warmer will cause water retention. I gain about 8 lbs the first of summer and it doesn't come off until it is cool in the fall. It's just part of getting older I think.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    you're either underestimating your intake or overestimating your burns during exercise. or both.

i guess it's also possible that you have a medical condition that is causing thing to go wonky but my money is on the things above.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you are actually trending up 1-2 Lbs per week then you are eating more than you think you are. If it's just going up and down and up and down and up and down, that's what maintaining looks like...and you're still eating more than you think you are if you are trying to lose.

It has nothing to do with walking.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

No, you can't.

But if it's the first time you're doing any exercise, maybe your muscles are retaining water for repair.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Are you dragging a tractor tire behind you?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    If you are actually trending up 1-2 Lbs per week then you are eating more than you think you are. If it's just going up and down and up and down and up and down, that's what maintaining looks like...and you're still eating more than you think you are if you are trying to lose.

I agree with this.

Also...not trying to be a jerk but 10 minutes of walking 2-3 days per week? I am not a huge exercise fiend or anything myself but that is a very very small amount of physical activity to be logging even if you are set to sedentary level, in my opinion.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Also...not trying to be a jerk but 10 minutes of walking 2-3 days per week? I am not a huge exercise fiend or anything myself but that is a very very small amount of physical activity to be logging even if you are set to sedentary level, in my opinion.

Agreed. That's like logging shopping or walking to the bus stop as exercise as opposed to it being included in your daily activity level.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Agreed. That's like logging shopping or walking to the bus stop as exercise as opposed to it being included in your daily activity level.

Eh I dunno, I am set to sedentary so I do log little stuff sometimes. But 20-30 min of walking to me doesn't really sound like enough exercise for 1 week, unless the OP has a medical condition that prohibits more. JMHO, like I said...not trying to be a jerk!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't think it can. It's not muscle. But if it's hot out, it may be summer water retention. Surprisingly, drinking more water (and eating less sodium) will help.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Walking burns calories. Burning more calories will not make you gain weight. Simple math.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Your probably under estimating cals eaten or overestimating cals burned.

Or water retention? If its just been 2 weeks, give it more time if you are weighing/logging all food and not overestimating cals burned.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It's normal for weight to fluctuate in a week. Mine can go up and down by five pounds in half a day.

It's also normal, also, to start a new plan and then second guess yourself, or start to think that it doesn't work at all, or in your case, even believe that a ten minute walk is causing weight gain! It really is amazing what we do to ourselves with our minds.

There are many different plans that work to help with weight loss, but only if you adhere to them. You have to be consistent and have faith. If you are eating at a calorie deficit and you know it, just keep going.

The hardest part is having patience, and ignoring that negative voice in your head.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Unless you're walking to someplace like McDonald's or Dairy Queen, no.

Hey now! I walk to Wendy's all of the time just so I can eat Wendy's. (It's over an hour walk.)

How many weeks has it been? Ten minutes of walking isn't going to burn much, unfortunately.
  • jayme252014
    Options
    Not everyone's metabolic index is the same. You could be eating too little and crashing your metabolism or eating too much. The calorie goals are a guideline and not an exact science--and you may need to adjust up or down to get results. Also if you are counting what you burn from walking, I would look at other calculators because sometimes the ones generated about what you burn are a little too high for reality. Also are you monitoring your heart rate? Are you elevating it to a place where you are reaching an efficient burn or long enough?

When you start exercising and build muscle not only does the muscle weight more, but the tearing of the muscle to build new muscle can actually cause water retention in the cells as a form of protection for several weeks causing the scale to go up.

In a maximum situation one really only can add one pound of muscle a week, and if that is occurring you should be losing some fat. You could also check with a doctor because if you have a low thyroid function or other issues you can indeed follow a regular to the letter program and still gain weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Not everyone's metabolic index is the same. You could be eating too little and crashing your metabolism or eating too much. The calorie goals are a guideline and not an exact science--and you may need to adjust up or down to get results. Also if you are counting what you burn from walking, I would look at other calculators because sometimes the ones generated about what you burn are a little too high for reality. Also are you monitoring your heart rate? Are you elevating it to a place where you are reaching an efficient burn or long enough?

When you start exercising and build muscle not only does the muscle weight more, but the tearing of the muscle to build new muscle can actually cause water retention in the cells as a form of protection for several weeks causing the scale to go up.

In a maximum situation one really only can add one pound of muscle a week, and if that is occurring you should be losing some fat. You could also check with a doctor because if you have a low thyroid function or other issues you can indeed follow a regular to the letter program and still gain weight.

Water, yes it's possible, but the OP isn't gaining muscle.....on a deficit.....by only adding 10min of walking per day.

Suggesting muscle weight addition in this situation is far fetched, at best, if not giving the OP false hope.

How, if one is adding one pound of muscle per week, then how should they be losing fat?