Strength training questions

Options
Ok...I am having a very slow weight loss recently so it was suggested I start strength training.....I do my workouts at home so I'm going yo have to use free weights. Is that ok? I currently have 8 pound weights...I plan to get more but are 8 pounders heavy enough to start? Should I do it everyday or switch off every other day cardio and weights? And is 30 minutes good or should I do my normal 45-60 that I do with cardio?

Replies

• FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people suggest that if you can do more than 12 reps per set, your weights are too light, and if you can't do more than 5, it is too heavy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I know people who start with less. If you can do the workouts with 8 pounds then yes start there.

I really don't know how to say this so I will just say it.

I know people who lift three times a week and do cardio on the off days. 2x a week for cardio

I know people who lift 5 times a week and cardio 5-6 times a week, including me but I love exercise,

Also I read that if you would like to do both weight train and cardio in same sessions weight comes first because lifting burns majority carbs more than fat and protein.

Feel me to message me I too am also changing my workouts.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I needed the lbs to come off fast I started by doing weights 6 days a week for about 1 hour, then a 30 minute break then cardio on an eliptical until I got up to an hour. At first it was hard, could only go about 20 minutes on the base setting of the machine. Took about 2 months before I got up to an hour then started increasing the intensity of the machine instead. I'm a firm believer that both cardio and lifting drastically increase the fat burn. :) I lift in 12/10/8 reps. If 12 gets too easy, I increase the weight. For fat burning you could go 16/12/10 with lighter weights. Increase the weights as they get easy. I only started out with 4 sets of dumbells now I have a good home gym. Working out at home (if you can) is better IMHO.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Strength training with free weights is very much okay. I'm personally partial to barbell and powerlifting, in no small part due to the awesome effects it has -- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

However, if you don't have the room, or can't afford it, there are other alternatives, including body weight training (check out You Are Your Own Gym and/or Convict Conditioning for some good progressive bodyweight programs), kettlebells (explosive power, in particular), and dumbbells.

You don't have to do a certain amount of time for strength training. In fact, most of the (beginner) programs don't take much more than 30 minutes. It's not about time, it's about intensity. You should be challenged enough that by the end of the last couple of sets, you're struggling to get the last couple of repetitions in.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You can start anywhere. :) That's the great thing about a beginning. Give it a shot!

My very first experience with resistance training was teeny tiny 3lb weights. It was still pretty hard. lol
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options
    Hi there!

Depends on what sort of exercises you are going to do. if you are going to sit and do bicep curls you need heaver weight. If you are going to be doing compound moves - like squat + front v raises chances are 5s will be enough. If you lie on your mat on your stomach and do 'supermans' that is lift your straight legs off the mat at the same time as upper body with your arms stretched forward WHILE holding weights - you might try those with 3s.

Also a lot depends on your intensity. If say you do intervals of 30 second and doing as many reps of Compound moves ( the moves that involve lower and upper body) as you can fit chances are you will need lighter weights and 30 min will be fine.

AND do NOT do strength training every single day, rather every other day. Plus consider splitting your strength training into 2 workouts you can alternate using different muscle groups.

'Strength' training is a very loose term - from lifting weights to body resistance exercises, etc etc
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Depends on what sort of exercises you are going to do. if you are going to sit and do bicep curls you need heaver weight. If you are going to be doing compound moves - like squat + front v raises chances are 5s will be enough. If you lie on your mat on your stomach and do 'supermans' that is lift your straight legs off the mat at the same time as upper body with your arms stretched forward WHILE holding weights - you might try those with 3s.

Also a lot depends on your intensity. If say you do intervals of 30 second and doing as many reps of Compound moves ( the moves that involve lower and upper body) as you can fit chances are you will need lighter weights and 30 min will be fine.

AND do NOT do strength training every single day, rather every other day. Plus consider splitting your strength training into 2 workouts you can alternate using different muscle groups.

'Strength' training is a very loose term - from lifting weights to body resistance exercises, etc etc

Correction
    You can do weight training every day. For example upper body day then lower body day.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Should I do strength training on the same days I do cardio or switch off?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Find a beginner strength training program. Focus on compound lifts.

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting.

As a beginner, you get more bang for your buck with compound movements. After you've done it for a while, then you can add in isolation lifts.

ETA: You will need equipment for any of these programs. If you aren't able to get to a gym or get the necessary equipment in your home, I would look into bodyweight training, such as You Are Your Own Gym.
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options
    You can do it every day.

UNLESS you are doing something else in between.

Like Running ( points to herself). (Or other muscle taxing cardio).
  • AnnaVictorya
    Options
    I try to switch - allows the muscles to restore, heal micro tears and rest.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Find a proven beginner strength program and follow it to the letter. 8 pound dumbbells are not enough for a traditional program - you can probably squat and deadlift 45 pounds today, and you'll be doing twice that much in a month or so.

If you can't afford a barbell and plates, then the bodyweight programs are the way to go. Keep those dumbbells - you can use them in your bodyweight program. You Are Your Own Gym, Body By You, and Convict Conditioning are good programs.

Whatever program you choose, pay close attention to the progressions. It's not strength training if you're not progressing..